Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey HSR, PCA racers - Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Blynes
I am trying to come up with the optimum conversion 6
engine for my car. (blown 2.4/4)

The car is basically in GT trim- flares and 7"& 8 " Fuchs with DOT Hoosiers. Cage,cell, fire sys.race seats, harnesses,911 brakes & suspension, street legal

I would like to eventually race HSR or PCA or both.

I have gone through both rule books and it seems that I could run a 2.2/6 in PCA and stay in prepared.

HSR wouls allow up to 2.5L

I guess you can't be competitive in both.

Any comments or suggestions?

Bill Lynes
L8Apex
If that was the case, I'd go 2.2. Because you can race in both legally. Maybe slower for HSR?... maybe, but hopefully your driving skill will make up for that. aktion035.gif
brant
Are you talking about PCA club racing?

you can't run a 2.2/6 in prepared in club racing. Prepared is a production class, and does not allow much for modifications. Any internal engine modification would automatically bump you into the GT classes. For that matter the fender flares automatically bump you into GT also.

But GT5 allows engines up to 2.2, so your basically talking about the same thing. I'd have to check what GT4 allows, but I'm vaguely thinking its 2.8l.

There really is not equal crossover. I'm building a RMVR vintage car -6 right now that will also run in PCA GT5. You basically have to pick which series the car is built for and assume it will not be the most competetive in the other.

PCA allows semi-tube cars in GT, and my local vintage group (RMVR) does not. So I know that I will be overweight, flexi, and not the most competetive car when I go to PCA events. However, I hope to attend 5-6 RMVR events and only 2PCA events annually, so I'm building the car for RMVR.

brant
Blynes
Brant,

Yes, PCA club racing.

Weren't some of the 914-6 GT cars equipped with the 2.2L 911T engine?

Bill
brant
Bill,

I just checked the rules. If this doesn't work, then search for the PCA website and there is a link.

http://www.pca.org/pca/clubrace/docs/forms.htm

So the rules do not show a 914-6GT. On page 16, the rules show a list of all cars and they do put the real 916 into class E. (You really don't want to run in E against early 930's and 944 turbo S cars with 250hp) Plus to run as a 916 you would have to have a full 916 interior in production. Production does not allow stripping of the interior. I had to put carpet back into my "I" prepared 2.0/4 car.

I imagine if you entered as a 914-6GT they would lump you into some factory built racecar class like GTC or something very fast. They do not show a 914-6GT as a street car in their list.

I don't think the real GT's ran 2.2 litters anyway. I think they ran 2.0's but somebody on this list would know more about that than I.

Also, even if you ran as a real GT, they would require a stock motor. Meaning if it was a 2.2T motor, you could not do any internal modifications. You could not have cams or any internal modifications. Meaning you would have the 130hp of a T motor if thats what they let you in with.

So.... Basically, your really going to need the rules before you buy a motor and decide what you want. I checked and GT4 does go up to 2.8 so big bucks there. GT5 is 2.2, so you might fit in both different sanctioning bodies better that way.

If you can convince your vintage group that semi-tube frame is cool for vintage, it will work even better. Otherwise you'll be like me, running a all steel (non-tube framed car) in PCA against an entire class of fiberglass tube framed cars.

Now... to dis-credit everything above... You will still have fun in PCA with a car that is not the absolute fastest in class. You will still find other cars to run at your speed, and you will still have a blast and learn a ton!

brant
campbellcj
FWIW, POC allows a "free" swap to a 2.2T. But as with PCA (per above posts) once you start fiddling with engine internals or induction, you're bumped into the modified classes and the slide down the slippery slope towards purpose-built race car begins...
Blynes
Thanks for the info.

I looked at HSR rules.

"914 Porsche must use a 2.5L engine maximum, built on magnesium or 1968 or earlier
aluminum case. The wheels are 7” maximum front and 8” maximum rear. The maximum
bodywork is the 914/6 GT bodywork or the Roadster-style bodywork as described in the
1972 SCCA E-Production Rules. The 914 2.5L is in Class 3K."

This may be the way to go and still race PCA where ever they put me.

I don't want to change the body other than mabe fiberglass parts down the road.

God- I want my car put back together.

Anyway - desision time. Just bought an engine and injection system from Atlanta ships Monday.

BL
brant
cool,

which motor did you buy?

If you go into PCA GT classes... everything else is pretty much free. Any wheels etc.
You might want to find out some specifics from the vintage people.
-metal or glass body work
-tube suspension supporst or scca style roll cage with limited supports.

these will make a big difference on how competetive the car is in PCA.

brant
Blynes
I bought a 2.4.

Will be bored to 2.5

Won't be competitive in PCA GT class but a lot of fun anyway.

BL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.