Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch not working?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WifesCar
I was just taking our 1975 1.8L out of Winter storage and couldn't get it into any gears! It worked fine last fall. With the vehicle off, it runs through the gears. When it's running, I can't shift without it grinding. It reacts like there is no clutch at all.

The cable on the transmission side appears fine, although I was surprised by how little it moves when somebody engages the clutch. Is it possible for the cable to stretch over the winter? Or the threaded bolt on the end to back off! Doesn't make sense??
Valy
QUOTE(WifesCar @ May 27 2014, 09:03 AM) *

I was just taking our 1975 1.8L out of Winter storage and couldn't get it into any gears! It worked fine last fall. With the vehicle off, it runs through the gears. When it's running, I can't shift without it grinding. It reacts like there is no clutch at all.

The cable on the transmission side appears fine, although I was surprised by how little it moves when somebody engages the clutch. Is it possible for the cable to stretch over the winter? Or the threaded bolt on the end to back off! Doesn't make sense??

Check the cable tube in the tunnel. Looks like it snapped. I see some welding in your future.
ripper911
You could tighten the nuts on the transmission end a few turns to see if it helps.
toolguy
QUOTE(Valy @ May 27 2014, 09:15 AM) *

QUOTE(WifesCar @ May 27 2014, 09:03 AM) *

Check the cable tube in the tunnel. Looks like it snapped. I see some welding in your future.

If the cable snapped, the pedal would be on the floor. .
If the clutch arm does not move much when someone presses the
pedal, check the bosen tube welds. .they may have snapped and the tube
is flexing in the tunnel. .
The clutch arm should move about 3/4 -1 inch when pedal depressed
zambezi
This is a classic case of the clutch disc rusted to the flywheel. find an area with a clear run where you will not hit anything and start the car in gear with your foot down on the clutch. The car will drive forward because of the rusted disc. once the car starts forward and has enough momentum, stab at the brakes this usually shocks the clutch disc free. I have had to do that at least 3 times on other cars, my 914 included. It may take more than one attempt but almost always works without having to pull the trans and free the disc the hard way. Once free all should be good.
WifesCar
QUOTE(zambezi @ May 27 2014, 11:09 AM) *

This is a classic case of the clutch disc rusted to the flywheel. find an area with a clear run where you will not hit anything and start the car in gear with your foot down on the clutch. The car will drive forward because of the rusted disc. once the car starts forward and has enough momentum, stab at the brakes this usually shocks the clutch disc free. I have had to do that at least 3 times on other cars, my 914 included. It may take more than one attempt but almost always works without having to pull the trans and free the disc the hard way. Once free all should be good.

This seems to be the most logical. Free play in the pedal seems right, pressure seems right, everything seems right except it's not disengaging the clutch disc. I was fearing the release fork snapped, but I suppose there would be no clutch tension then....

Also makes sense because of the prolonged time it has been sitting in a cold climate. I'll visually go over everything starting under the pedal, push it outta the garage and give it a run!

THanks Zambezi and everyone!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.