Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: door glass separated from vertical channel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
era vulgaris
My driver's side door glass separated from the vertical channel it slides up and down in. I think the new scraper seals I installed where causing too much friction.
Has this happened to anyone else? What's the best adhesive to use to re-glue it? Thanks!
bulitt
You can buy this at advance auto. @ 24$ Not cheap, Wmart might have it for less?
Needs to set up for 24 hours. Or swing by an auto glass installer- they may give you a shot for free.

IPB Image
Dave_Darling
Before you glue anything to anything else, it's best to be very clear what is supposed to be permanently attached to what.

If the other side is working well, take the door cards off both and see what the differences are between the two.

--DD
era vulgaris
QUOTE(bulitt @ May 27 2014, 05:48 PM) *

You can buy this at advance auto. @ 24$ Not cheap, Wmart might have it for less?
Needs to set up for 24 hours. Or swing by an auto glass installer- they may give you a shot for free.

IPB Image

Thanks, I'll give that a try!

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 27 2014, 06:23 PM) *

Before you glue anything to anything else, it's best to be very clear what is supposed to be permanently attached to what.

If the other side is working well, take the door cards off both and see what the differences are between the two.

--DD

I've had both door cards off completely already to compare. There's a metal bracket that slides up and down in a channel in the piece the vent glass is attached to. This metal bracket that slides up and down is what the glass on the driver's side became detached from. There's blackish adhesive residue on the window from where it was affixed inside the metal bracket.
mskala
I don't know the right stuff, or I would have fixed mine. But it can't be that
windo-weld, that is like a caulk or windshield adhesive. What you need is a
very thin adhesive that will work on glass-to-metal and suitable for automotive
temps.
bulitt
Whatever. Worked well for me.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry1756839
mskala
QUOTE(bulitt @ May 27 2014, 08:40 PM) *

The pre-73 door system is different. Unless I'm mistaken, he's talking about
the metal channel that has rollers on it and is on the leading edge of the
window. This metal channel is only as wide as the glass, there would be no
room for a thick adhesive.

Click to view attachment
era vulgaris
QUOTE(mskala @ May 27 2014, 09:42 PM) *

QUOTE(bulitt @ May 27 2014, 08:40 PM) *

The pre-73 door system is different. Unless I'm mistaken, he's talking about
the metal channel that has rollers on it and is on the leading edge of the
window. This metal channel is only as wide as the glass, there would be no
room for a thick adhesive.

Click to view attachment

Yup, you're correct. It's the channel on the front edge of the window. Is there any way to re-attach it?
I was thinking about this stuff maybe?
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/sg_glass/...-Glass-Glue.htm
Mikey914
The windshield Urethane will definately work. Probably the best bet. The other option is epoxy. You can get these in premeasuerd "cups" at any good glass shop. It's what they use for puttin the rear view mirrors on when they replace a windshield.
Should be around $6 a pop. Cheaper than the Urethane, will set fast. Just make sure you degrease the glass and the inside of the track so nothing will inhibit the bond.
rhodyguy
Plan on replacing item(s) #6 and 7 (if you can source them). While you're " in there" plan on cleaning the convoluted window winder assemblies and ensure the window raises easily.
Mikey914
Yes I have items 6 and 7 if you need them
http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Early-window...lers-914EWR.htm
McMark
I used windshield Urethane to glue mine back in place. That stuff is REALLY strong. Looks like the 3M stuff mentioned above is the same stuff.

I believe Mark S. (mskala) is thinking of the 'WindoWeld' that comes in a roll (butyl) which is thick and wouldn't work at all for this. The stuff above (urethane) is really gooey and thin when you first goop it on. It gets everywhere. Wear gloves and don't wipe it on anything. Don't worry about excess getting on the glass or squeezing out. You can trim it up with a razor blade later.
era vulgaris
Do you think I need to remove the window from the door to do this?
I'm not sure how that vertical channel is removed from the vent glass pillar. Or does that entire pillar need to be removed from the door with the vent glass?
McMark
There are two screws at the top of the runner channel. Remove those and the top-black-corner piece will pop off. Then the runner will come out the top.
mskala
QUOTE(McMark @ May 28 2014, 07:01 PM) *

I used windshield Urethane to glue mine back in place. That stuff is REALLY strong. Looks like the 3M stuff mentioned above is the same stuff.

I believe Mark S. (mskala) is thinking of the 'WindoWeld' that comes in a roll (butyl) which is thick and wouldn't work at all for this. The stuff above (urethane) is really gooey and thin when you first goop it on. It gets everywhere. Wear gloves and don't wipe it on anything. Don't worry about excess getting on the glass or squeezing out. You can trim it up with a razor blade later.

Cool; if it's thin then that should do the trick. When I get around to mine I will
try it too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.