Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would you pay for this 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Cuda911
New poster here, but far from new in terms of reading the forums on this site. I am an avid participant on Rennlist, and the Rennie guys highly recommend the 914world folks. Isn't this great? Our love of Porsches overshadows any competition between web sites. I have an '03 911 (ok a 996), and an "07 Cayman. But, I have a big time 914 itch that needs scratching. I need to add a 914 to the stable.

OK, guys, some armchair quarterbacking requested.

This weekend, I read EVERY thread on the 914 forum here. I have my 914 requirements narrowed down to the following: 1973 2.0, or 1974 2.0 with appearance group. Any color except black.

With that said, it narrows down even more the slim field of cars on the market.

So, I have a car I am considering... 1973 2.0 .... it meets the criteria, but is in worse shape than I had hoped for. I didn't really want a "project" car, but maybe that's the best way to go to end up with what I want.

A friend (fellow Rennie CP.... THANKS CP!!!!!!!) looked at the car for me today (it's about a six hour drive from me). The seller arranged to leave the keys for CP. Alas, seller also neglected to tell CP that he took the battery out recently and forgot to re-install it.

So, I am working with limited information so far. Seller says car is in good running condition. I'll get that verified. So, ASSUMING the car runs, what do you think of it based on these photos?

You will note items like that goofy antenna, crappy side-view mirror, wing, etc. Those are minor fixes. Also, that doesn't look like a 1973 front bumper to me.

What would you think is a fair price for this car, based on the pix?

Per seller:

"Battery tray is not great but suspension member is solid as is body under the battery tray. Surface rust on edge of trunk lid and driver a pillar."

"I bought the car from an older couple who spent a ton of money on new clutch, tires and other stuff then just let it sit. I got it, got it running and here we are. Odometer says 23,xxx but it's a 5 digit odometer. Engine runs strong, no idea on mileage. Has stock fuel injection."

"New clutch, ignition coil, tires, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator"

http://postimg.org/image/8v6f2v8mx/66cc4a11/
http://postimg.org/image/vsbmuwvuv/8037d872/
http://postimg.org/image/fctzt6s89/a3bde0b2/
http://postimg.org/image/vh1kxdf4h/
Big Len
First, it has 75-76 front clip with earlier rear bumper.

How much?
Cuda911
QUOTE(Big Len @ May 28 2014, 02:47 AM) *

First, it has 75-76 front clip with earlier rear bumper.

How much?

He's asking $4,500 OBO.
Cuda911
A few more pix.
Porschef
Uh, no. barf.gif Keep looking. How many cars have you looked at?

You're in So Cal, probably there's a couple more around for sale... slap.gif
Mikey914
I think you can do better. There are alot of gremlins hiding in this one. The rust you see is allways the tip of the iceburg.
Cuda911
Thanks for the replies. My thoughts are this: Offer 4K, spend 6 to 7 K to restore to "reasonable" condition, then have a fun car I can drive for 5 or 10 years, with the expected ongoing maintenance.

Re: "How many cars have you looked at?" Probably 100 or so on the Net, about 5 in person.
bulitt
You read the replies but are blinded by the overwhelming desire to own a 914.
California is the land of really decent 914's. You can do better. You can do better.
Probably closer to 5k for bodywork, and a long time in the shop getting it done. Then paint $$$. Brakes, Interior, New rubber seals...$$$
You
Can
Do
Better.
IMHO
ripper911
agree.gif much better cars for 5k out there. I'd be turned of by the mismatched front and rear, it must have been damaged.
hot_shoe914
For $4500, you will only be over paying by $4000 in my opinion. Buy a nice car you can drive now for more money. You will be glad you did!
mepstein
I bet it's been hit and it's very rusty. Just my opinion. Good luck with the search.
carr914
$1500
914itis
Here is a good one from someone you can trust.

1974 2.0 silver
mepstein
QUOTE(914itis @ May 28 2014, 07:25 AM) *

1974 2.0 silver

agree.gif I like that car. But I think the price is a bit high unless the rust is minimal.
Java2570
Pass on that red car....too much wrong with it and if you think you'll only spend
$5-7 on repair, it'll actually be 2 or 3x that cost. I'd start looking at cars that
are in better shape at the start, unless you really want a project. Up your budget
for purchase price and you'll come out ahead. And since you're in CA, one of our
CA members can help with looking at cars with you.
Cairo94507
You should pass on that unless you really want a project car and can buy it for $1,000. welcome.png
carr914
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 28 2014, 07:58 AM) *

1974 2.0 silver

agree.gif I like that car. But I think the price is a bit high unless the rust is minimal.

I disagree, I think the car is under-priced and Rory has been around & knows his 914s
914itis
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 28 2014, 08:40 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 28 2014, 07:58 AM) *

1974 2.0 silver

I disagree, I think the car is under-priced and Rory has been around & knows his 914s

All the leg works has been done to this car, he went over it and do all that needed attention priceless . I would buy any car from him with my eyes closed.
He is been around 914 for years, he knows them well and honest.
brant
You have to pull the rockers before you buy a car. And don't bother with this one it's rust is already visible

I would seriously consider any year without rust over a car with rust
KELTY360
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 28 2014, 03:22 AM) *

$1500

agree.gif Have you read any of the threads where somebody gets a good deal on a car with 'only a little rust' and discovers a money pit hiding under oxidized paint? Good luck.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ May 28 2014, 02:39 AM) *

Thanks for the replies. My thoughts are this: Offer 4K, spend 6 to 7 K to restore to "reasonable" condition, then have a fun car I can drive for 5 or 10 years, with the expected ongoing maintenance.

Re: "How many cars have you looked at?" Probably 100 or so on the Net, about 5 in person.

$4,000 + $6-7,000 = $10-11,000

Buy an $8-9,000 914, spend $2-3,000 (same $10-11,000 range) and you'll have what you're looking for. You'll end up spending less and getting more by staying away from bottom feeder cars.
bandjoey
$500 or pass. You will be disappointed. Go to the restoration threads and look at the carnage under the paint.
tornik550
Most I would pay is 1k and I probably wouldn't even do that. There are so many other nice ones out there.
Tom
The picture looking down the drivers side looks like a car that is sagging in the middle. If so, that is really bad!
Remember what Porsche folks say when buying a used Porsche, buy the best one you can find, it will save you money in the long run.
Find a nicer one!
Tom
lsintampa
I'd not buy this car.

Don't rush to jump in the water. Sooner or later your car will come along.
rhodyguy
The rust pictured is not "surface" only. Pull the front truck seal and I think you' find BIG problems with the channels and the bubble @ the bottom of the windshield trim is a warning sign. I think 'all in' @ $11k is on the low side. I wonder what's lurking behind late bumper cover.

I wouldn't buy the car. Period.....
ben*james
Bumper mismatch = bad sign or very poor taste
Battery box sagging means more rust
Extra paint around engine grill indicates careless attempt
Turbo mirrors probably put unwanted holes in door skins

My last teen I sold was much much1,much2......muchn, nicer for 6k. There is a significant chance that you could do much better.

But hey, no better place on earth to buy a project like that and get help.

I liked: early rear bumper, baby Fuchs, .... That's about it.
toolguy
That is a parts car at best, as you'll easily spend over $20K making it right. . the rust repair will be endless and the paint will be another 3-4K for a cheap job.. . even from the pictures it needs a complete front clip . . I'll bet if you poked the hell hole it would fall through from the looks of the battery tray.
Listen to the logical voices who have no dog in the fight. . even if you
'fixed' the rust you can find, what you can't find will make it impossible to maintain in
the future. .
914_teener
Pass......unless you want a project
green914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ May 28 2014, 04:12 AM) *

For $4500, you will only be over paying by $4000 in my opinion. Buy a nice car you can drive now for more money. You will be glad you did!

agree.gif

$500... I recently bought two 914s in about the same condition for $1000; they have already been parted out.
Mike Bellis
Since you're East coast, 914's come at a primium. Buy a west coast car and ship it. They don't salt the roads here. They use sand. Worry less about engine size and more about rust. On a 914, only 20% of the rust is visible. 80% of the rust you will find after you buy it. We can do PPI's for you. Just reach out when you find a good car. Shipping from the West will end up cheaper in the long run.
Cuda911
OK, ok.... seems like the general consensus here is a big thumbs down on that car.

I'm stubborn and sometimes foolish, but I am trying to soak in the wisdom of you all.

Crap. Frankly, I'm surprised.... I've seen plenty of cars that were way worse get restored, or at least sell for more than this red one. From what I've read here, as long as the longitudinals and suspension under the hell hole aren't rotted, the rest of the car isn't too bad to deal with.

Dang, back to my 914 hunt, then....

Any of you want to join in and help me spend my money?

Requirement: 73 2.0 or 74 2.0 with appearance group. Any but black, gray, silver. Ideally blue, red, orange, or other bright color.

Within a reasonable drive of San Diego, unless there's one of you guys I could trust to look it over for me.
--------------------------------
Mike
Cuda911

$4,000 + $6-7,000 = $10-11,000

Buy an $8-9,000 914, spend $2-3,000 (same $10-11,000 range) and you'll have what you're looking for. You'll end up spending less and getting more by staying away from bottom feeder cars.

I agree. So far, I just can't find any mid-priced ones that meet my criteria (73/74/2.0/colorful).

All help in my quest is greatly appreciated!!!
jhadler
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ May 28 2014, 12:17 PM) *

Crap. Frankly, I'm surprised.... I've seen plenty of cars that were way worse get restored, or at least sell for more than this red one.

That's true, but unless you can work magic with sheet metal and a welder, and have unlimited time on your hands, this "project" car will consume way more money than you think it will to get it right.

From what I've read here, as long as the longitudinals and suspension under the hell hole aren't rotted, the rest of the car isn't too bad to deal with.

Not so. Read again what folks are saying here. That the rust is -visible- from the outside tells us all that there is WAAAY more rust hiding underneath. Just like an iceberg...

Dang, back to my 914 hunt, then....

Keep looking. You will find a better one, and you will be far happier that you did.

-Josh
KELTY360
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ May 7 2014, 06:17 AM) *

Might want to follow up on this one that was mentioned in the classifieds (not listed yet)

Towards the end of this thread: 914 FS
Sfreeman615
I would say that if you are looking for a 914, you are looking for a project! I agree with many others here! Spend a little more money for a much better starting point, I wish I would've!! The price for this car should be in the $1500-$2000 at most!!
914Sixer
I have to go with TC, $1500 car at best. Looks like a LOT of hidden gremlins.
carr914
My 73 Alaska Blue Appearance Group is For Sale but I can tell already it is out of your Price Range
saigon71
Excellent advice from everyone here.

Way to much ca$h for that car. Take your time finding a decent car at a fair price, even if you are looking for a project.

I probably overpaid for my project, but it was less expensive than the deal you are considering and this car appears to have more rust on the top side of the car than mine did.

A PPI is worthwhile even if you have to pay for it. A case of beer may even cover the expense. beerchug.gif

Cuda911
OK, you all talked me out of that red one.

Here's a link to a beauty coming up for sale in July at an auction in Lock Haven, Pennsylvania. Any of you attending the auction? smile.gif

"Please note, this vehicle will be offered for sale only at the Central Pennsylvania Auto Auction, July 18th and 19th, 2014 in Lock Haven, Pennsylvania. For more information contact us at (800) 248-8026 or visit www.cpaautoauction.com. 1974 Porsche 914 2.0 Targa"

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsfo...14/1649738.html

If any of you come across a decent 914 for sale, please feel free to let me know. Thanks!
brant
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ May 28 2014, 08:19 PM) *

OK, you all talked me out of that red one.

Here's a link to a beauty coming up for sale in July at an auction in Lock Haven, Pennsylvania. Any of you attending the auction? smile.gif

"Please note, this vehicle will be offered for sale only at the Central Pennsylvania Auto Auction, July 18th and 19th, 2014 in Lock Haven, Pennsylvania. For more information contact us at (800) 248-8026 or visit www.cpaautoauction.com. 1974 Porsche 914 2.0 Targa"

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsfo...14/1649738.html

If any of you come across a decent 914 for sale, please feel free to let me know. Thanks!

I already like that it is an honest car with very reputable mechanics like LTD, that have touched it..

FI is a plus in that price range and since your not looking for a race car!
Cuda911
I wonder what that car will sell for at auction? I think it will sell for a high price.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ May 28 2014, 06:49 PM) *

I wonder what that car will sell for at auction? I think it will sell for a high price.

Anything less than $12-13,000 is a steal.
rhodyguy
Check out Biosurfer's ad. Color is in your list. Plenty of money thrown at the car already.
CptTripps
I'd buy the wing from you. That's the one I've been looking for.
Cuda911
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 29 2014, 08:31 AM) *

Check out Biosurfer's ad. Color is in your list. Plenty of money thrown at the car already.

Yeah, I'd probably buy that car. He seems to indicate that sale is pending. I posted for him to let me know if it through.
Cuda911
Guys,

Thanks for talking me out of the red one.

Now, I have my sights on this car... what say you? Thanks!!
Dave_Darling
What were the first three things we said to look for?

-Rust
-Rust
-Rust

I don't see any pics of the problem areas. What pics are there look better than the red one, but I've cut up cars that look better than the red one...

--DD
rhodyguy
Don't be in a BIG rush to buy. How much is that white car?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.