Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ken6432
I am just getting the engine back in my 914 and have three wires that I did not mark. Can anyone tell me where they go? They come through the tin on the driver's side along with the starter wires. The shortest one in the picture appears to be green with a red (or brown) line, the second longest appears to be black with a red line and the longest one is all black and is a heavier gauge.

IPB Image

Thanks for the help.

Ken
Mblizzard
Where are they? Engine bay?

What engine? FI?
Rotary'14
QUOTE(Ken6432 @ May 28 2014, 10:02 AM) *

I am just getting the engine back in my 914 and have three wires that I did not mark. Can anyone tell me where they go? They come through the tin on the driver's side along with the starter wires. The shortest one in the picture appears to be green with a red (or brown) line, the second longest appears to be black with a red line and the longest one is all black and is a heavier gauge.

IPB Image

Thanks for the help.

Ken

the thick wire looks like it goes to your transmission reverse switch,,check to see if there are 2 connectors at the end.

The green/red should be oil pressure,,
the black/purp should be tach input (goes to coil)

post #13 has a diagram
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...ter-cooled.html

-Rob
Tom
That makes no sense. Are you color blind by any chance? I am, and had my wife look at the picture and your colors do not match up with what she sees.
If these wires come from the engine bay tin toward the rear of the car along with the starter wires, then take a picture of the starter area with the other wires and maybe I can get you straightened out.
To me, and my wife, the shortest wire looks yellow - is there a yellow wire to your solenoid terminal? The other two look like the wires for the back-up light switch on the trans, and someone has done some rewiring or repairs on them.
Tom
Ken6432
QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ May 28 2014, 01:59 PM) *

IPB Image

Thanks for the help.

Ken

the thick wire looks like it goes to your transmission reverse switch,,check to see if there are 2 connectors at the end.

The green/red should be oil pressure,,
the black/purp should be tach input (goes to coil)

post #13 has a diagram
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...ter-cooled.html

-Rob

There is only one connector on the larger black wire.

Is the oil pressure sensor the one on the passenger side that is near the distributor?

Which side of the coil does the tach input go?

Thanks,
Ken
Ken6432
QUOTE(Tom @ May 28 2014, 04:05 PM) *

That makes no sense. Are you color blind by any chance? I am, and had my wife look at the picture and your colors do not match up with what she sees.
If these wires come from the engine bay tin toward the rear of the car along with the starter wires, then take a picture of the starter area with the other wires and maybe I can get you straightened out.
To me, and my wife, the shortest wire looks yellow - is there a yellow wire to your solenoid terminal? The other two look like the wires for the back-up light switch on the trans, and someone has done some rewiring or repairs on them.
Tom

No, I am not color blind. The shortest wire looks more green in person that it does in the picture. If you look towards the left end of that wire, that shows the color the best. I cannot see the other ends of the wires down by the solenoid.

Ken
Ken6432
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ May 28 2014, 01:17 PM) *

Where are they? Engine bay?

What engine? FI?

Yes, they are in the engine bay. It is a 2.0L engine that has dual carbs on it.

Ken
Tom
Your best bet is going to be to trace them back to see where they come from. May have to use a multi-meter. They should go to the 12 pin connector on the relay board. Then use this pic.
Being red/green color blind has caused me to learn how and when to use a multi-meter. I use it OFTEN! smile.gif
Tom
Cap'n Krusty

IPB Image

Thanks for the help.

Ken

The black is the coil 12v + wire (terminal 30), the black/purple wire is the tach wire (coil terminal 1), and the green/red wire is the oil pressure sender wire.

The Cap'n
Rotary'14
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 28 2014, 01:44 PM) *

IPB Image

Thanks for the help.

Ken

The black is the coil 12v + wire (terminal 30), the black/purple wire is the tach wire (coil terminal 1), and the green/red wire is the oil pressure sender wire.

The Cap'n

I agree with crusty one. I couldn't see the big thick wire end,, but what crusty says makes total sense. I didn't think the oil pressure and tach wire would be with the reverse light,,,,

1 wrong out of 3,, 66% not too bad

-Rob
Ken6432
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 28 2014, 04:44 PM) *

IPB Image

Thanks for the help.

Ken

The Cap'n

Thanks Cap'n

So the black goes to the positive side of the coil and the black/purple goes to the negative side?

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.