Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOLD!: Sapphire XIX AM/FM Radio With NOS Speakers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
stokester
Along with my VW radio hobby I sometime come across some related items.

Offered in this sale is a refurbished Sapphire XIX AM/FM mono radio with a Porsche 914 faceplate AND a set of NOS Motorola speakers. The radio has been refurbished with all the filter capacitors replaced, tuning mechanism cleaned and lubed and plastic cleaned and polished for a fully-functional radio. Along with this radio is the speaker set, instructions and wiring from an NOS speaker installation kit. This kit also contains an NOS faceplate that must have been used on other years or after modifying the radio block-off plate - you folks will know better than me.

So the whole package includes a refurbished Motorola XIX radio with a 914 basket-weave faceplate along with a set of NOS Moto speakers with wiring harness and instruction sheet. The other faceplate is negotiable as I have other radios that may be applicable - if you're interested contact me.

All for $250 plus shipping.

I've been repairing radios for the vintage VW community for some time and offer a 6-month warranty and any support you may require.

Contact me with any questions: stokester@vwradios.com

Nick Stokes
vwradios.com
orthobiz
This is a smoking ht deal! Too bad I've got one already. GLWYS!

Paul
mharmon
agreed. that's an excellent deal.
JmuRiz
Someone buy it before I'm tempted to buy another radio I don't need!
euro911
If it's correct for a 71 914, I'd like to purchase it.

You can PM me with payment details
Chris H.
If this history of Sapphire radios is correct (link below), the XIX is '72-'75. The XIV/XVI is the AM/FM model for '71-'72 but It's very hard to find the AM/FM ones in working condition....

Sapphire List
stokester
QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 29 2014, 07:42 AM) *

If this history of Sapphire radios is correct (link below), the XIX is '72-'75. The XIV/XVI is the AM/FM model for '71-'72 but It's very hard to find the AM/FM ones in working condition....

Sapphire List

The year-dating of the Motorola Sapphire radios is somewhat confusing starting about 1970. You are correct with the years for the XIX. The XIV is an AM/FM mono radio sometimes referred to as the "town & county" because of the TC rocker switch above the tuning shaft. The XVI is much the same except it is a stereo model and is much more scarce. In the VW world they were dealer-installed options so the radio year did not necessarily match that of the car.

The faceplate I have for a 914 does not have the cutout for the rocker switch.

Check out my web site for more info.

Nick
vwradios.com
TJB/914
QUOTE(stokester @ May 29 2014, 08:21 AM) *

Sapphire List

The year-dating of the Motorola Sapphire radios is somewhat confusing starting about 1970. You are correct with the years for the XIX. The XIV is an AM/FM mono radio sometimes referred to as the "town & county" because of the TC rocker switch above the tuning shaft. The XVI is much the same except it is a stereo model and is much more scarce. In the VW world they were dealer-installed options so the radio year did not necessarily match that of the car.

Nick
vwradios.com

Nick Mr. Radio Guy,
I need a pair of correct size speakers for my 1974 914 Sapphire period radio that fits in the factory locations. Can your recommend or supply speakers for us 914 guys?? I was on your web site & it's not clear. Price $___??
Thanks,
Tom
stokester
I sell and repair classic radios as a hobby, specializing in those used in '50s, '60s and '70s Volkswagens. There are times when I come across some items such as the speakers in this classified ad that make a complete package when included with a refurbished radio.

I do not normally have any speakers and this set is the only ones I have.

Nick
vwradios.com
TJB/914
QUOTE(stokester @ May 29 2014, 10:47 PM) *

I sell and repair classic radios as a hobby, specializing in those used in '50s, '60s and '70s Volkswagens. There are times when I come across some items such as the speakers in this classified ad that make a complete package when included with a refurbished radio.

Nick
vwradios.com

Thanks Nick,
If someone buys your radio set, maybe they won't need the speakers & I'll cook a deal. stirthepot.gif
BTW: AA has them, but a little too pricy @ $90. bucks each. I'll continue to listen to my sweet sounding motor at that price. popcorn[1].gif
Tom
euro911
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ May 29 2014, 07:00 PM) *
QUOTE(stokester @ May 29 2014, 10:47 PM) *

Nick
vwradios.com
Thanks Nick,
If someone buys your radio set, maybe they won't need the speakers & I'll cook a deal. stirthepot.gif
BTW: AA has them, but a little too pricy @ $90. bucks each. I'll continue to listen to my sweet sounding motor at that price. popcorn[1].gif
Tom
I think the radio will compliment the dash in my wife's '71 OK. I'll get a payment off to you Friday or Saturday, Nick

Thomas, I'll keep you in mind if I decide not to install the speakers in her car. I need to see what is already behind her grilles first.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ May 29 2014, 06:23 PM) *

Sapphire List

Nick
vwradios.com

Nick Mr. Radio Guy,
I need a pair of correct size speakers for my 1974 914 Sapphire period radio that fits in the factory locations. Can your recommend or supply speakers for us 914 guys?? I was on your web site & it's not clear. Price $___??
Thanks,
Tom

These speakers on Ebay work inside the standard 914 speaker pods, you just have to install them on an angle and use only two of the attachment holes, top left bottom right. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-db461-4...=item540945e9f5
TJB/914
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ May 30 2014, 10:39 AM) *

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ May 29 2014, 06:23 PM) *

Sapphire List

Nick
vwradios.com

Nick Mr. Radio Guy,
Thanks,
Tom

These speakers on Ebay work inside the standard 914 speaker pods, you just have to install them on an angle and use only two of the attachment holes, top left bottom right. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-db461-4...=item540945e9f5

Thanks Mike Fitton Radio/Speaker guy too. first.gif
This site is full of excellent expert advise to spend our money. smilie_pokal.gif
Tom
euro911
I finally got around to unpacking and checking out the radio today. Connected a speaker and powered it up ... it works great party.gif
The pushbuttons were sticking so I took it apart, cleaned it up a little, lubed all the mechanisms and shafts.

Click to view attachment

Almost all the capacitors have been replaced with new electrolytics, even found some new tantalums in there thumb3d.gif

Click to view attachment

Scrubbed the faceplate and touched-up the trim with a Krylon Silver Leaf Pen, put it all back together and 'programmed' the kind local FM stations biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

The wife likes it aktion035.gif ... just need to find somewhere else to install her CD player, since this radio is going in the original radio slot in the dash shades.gif
TJB/914
euro911

What about the (2) speakers??? If available, PM me.

Tom
euro911
I haven't forgotten that you're interested in them, Tom. I haven't had a chance to evaluate the existing speakers in her car yet.

I need to go to the shop pretty soon ... there's a large stack of packages building up in the front room and even though they're mostly parts for her car, I think she's getting sick of looking at them dry.gif
euro911
Here we are, 4 1/2 years later ... are you still in the market for a pair of NOS OEM speakers Tom? @TJB/914

Shoot me a PM ...
sholman5
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Jul 14 2014, 08:42 AM) *

euro911

Tom

PM sent
TJB/914
QUOTE(sholman5 @ Dec 27 2018, 07:28 AM) *

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Jul 14 2014, 08:42 AM) *

euro911

Tom

PM sent

Mark & Chris,

Yes I am a buyer & need a pair of speakers. Chris alerted me, so send me a PM with details.

Tom
euro911
Speakers are coming your way, Tom biggrin.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 27 2018, 10:17 PM) *

Speakers are coming your way, Tom biggrin.gif

Wow, what a deal first.gif I waited 4-years to get Mark out in the garage to find these speakers smash.gif Also, thanks to Chris too.

Thanks Mark, check is going out tomorrow.

Tom
euro911
Actually, I had forgotten all about it, Tom. The radio and speakers were sitting in a box on a shelf in my den all that time - I physically touched the box when we cleared out the room to start on a total remodel of the room back in June. I was reminded when I saw the recent thread on OEM speaker size.

All boxed up and ready to go to the PO on Monday biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.