Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting P.O. Fix.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aveale
Well,

I dove right in. Started to remove the rocker panels and discovered that the P.O. or PPO or PPPO decided to use thicker gauge steel to add longitudinal strength. It was tack welded to the body and wrapped underneath the car where it was tacked again to the floor panel - painted with rocker panel paint and bingo.

Kind of sounds nice in theory..........

Anyone see this before and if so would we replace with a true panel?

(Needless to say, I have pictures of the long. buried under all of this but I am not posting them, because I am embarassed!)

T
jr91472
aw...come on....I posted pics of my tranny explosion....

lets see em! IPB Image IPB Image
TimT
IPB Image
tracks914
I'd like to give you my advice but I won't until I see the pictures. IPB Image
rick 918-S
QUOTE (tracks914 @ Jan 16 2005, 06:30 PM)
I'd like to give you my advice but I won't until I see the pictures. IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image
SpecialK
QUOTE (aveale @ Jan 16 2005, 03:53 PM)
Well,

I dove right in. Started to remove the rocker panels and discovered that the P.O. or PPO or PPPO decided to use thicker gauge steel to add longitudinal strength. It was tack welded to the body and wrapped underneath the car where it was tacked again to the floor panel - painted with rocker panel paint and bingo.

Kind of sounds nice in theory..........

Anyone see this before and if so would we replace with a true panel?

(Needless to say, I have pictures of the long. buried under all of this but I am not posting them, because I am embarassed!)

T

Kind of sounds like one of Brad's reinforcement kits (got one on my '73). 1/10" steel, a bit heavy, but a very effective chassis stiffener! We'd have to see pics IPB Image to know for sure. (hint, hint)
aveale
I was dreaming about this last nite (is this common?).

I will send some pictures 2morrow, as long as nobody laughs at my "problem".

Cheers,

T
jd74914
No laughing. We promise IPB Image
Rhodes71/914
I don't think you need to be embarrassed, there are quite a few other posts recently that people were brave enough to post (see chopstick thread). And you didn't do this yourself.
SpecialK
QUOTE (aveale @ Jan 17 2005, 06:29 AM)
I was dreaming about this last nite (is this common?).

Oh yeah.....very common for us with rust buckets in need of repair, but tons of great repair threads (read: success stories) with pics on this forum, and lots of BTDT advice for how to fix it.
aveale
Well,

People asked for clicks, so no laughing!!

I am going to get this car fixed. There is no doubt in my mind!

T

click 1
aveale
Click 2

and these are just the passenger side.......
aveale
freezing14
remember tony, we are all here to help you out,, I know you can do it, let me know when you can spare a day i will go and get you started on the repairs

freez
Root_Werks
It looks like someone tried to cover up the longs with sheet metal? IPB Image I would take it all down and off, replace the longs. IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
aircooledboy
I can't figure out the orientation?
Is the bolt holding some sort of angle iron bolted over the rusted long? IPB Image
McMark
I'm stumped as well. What direction are we looking at the longs from?
nebreitling
omg IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

replace those longs, sorry.
balthazar
Here is a pic of the Brad Meyer long repair kit for reference. Is this what is installed on your car?
SpecialK
QUOTE (balthazar @ Jan 19 2005, 06:18 PM)
Here is a pic of the Brad Meyer long repair kit for reference. Is this what is installed on your car?

Yep......Oh, were you talking to me IPB Image

IPB Image
aveale
sorry about the angle of the picture... I was crying while I took them!

I know I have some work ahead of me, but I am not afraid to take some time and some cash to do the job right.

The car is in great shape (truly) everyhere else, so my goal is to make this vehicle a family heir loom.

I have looked at some of the stiffening kits out there and appreciate your advice to date.

The pictures were taken perpendicular to the longitudinal looking upwards from under the passenger seat area!

Enjoy and I will keep you updated.

T
balthazar
My first 914 was much worse and the PO did some nasty things to "fix" it. The RR suspension console was broken, so they welded 1/4" iron to reinforce the area. The longs had the same 1/4' iron welded down the entire length. All this was stick welded in with holes punched through and everything. The flex of the chasis was causing the much heavier iron to tear the lighter steel unibody to pieces. Very ugly once I got everything torn apart and realized what I had. Hang in there, anything is possible if you stand back and throw $20's at it.... IPB Image

Special K--- Lets see some pix of those Brad Meyer longs installed!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.