Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Updating my Hagerty coverage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
My build is currently insured for $14,000....but I'm WAY (more than 2X) deep into it at this point.

Would Hagerty go for $35K on a Subaru converted 914, or are they going to balk. Anyone have experience with this type of thing?

I'm sure there are plenty of cars they insure with modified engines, and I have a LOT of receipts to support my claim, even without factoring my labor in. (Can you really put a price on Love?)

Any thoughts? Am I low at $35K? Should I shoot for more and have them bring it down?
biosurfer1
I don't think they would balk, but at that coverage, I think they want more info and verification.

They will insure you for just about anything, all it takes is money!
Mikey914
I have Hagerty, they will insure any value you can support. That is why I use them. You get the agreed value up front, they charge based on the stated value.
lsintampa
I "had" Hagerty.

Now I'm with Grundy... they also do "agreed value".

I switched because many of my classic BMW friends use them -

Just saying.
DRPHIL914
I just updated mine, and agreed upon value of $15,000 my coverage went up $50 for the year to $250, but well worth it. but i dont have into mine what you have into yours, i still have not gotten into the full rustoration , but the car is clean, interior is mostly new, all new wheels rims(fuchs,) brakes brake lines suspension, bushings shocks, a-arms, trailing arms etc etc etc. so i think i am good until i do the longs and re-paint,- if i were wyou , you have nothing to loose , is to ask for your number and give them documentation. i started out at thinking $12k, they went over everyting and i discussed it with someone and ended up at $15,
CptTripps
Unfortunately, this is going to force me to look at receipts and document everything. Ugh.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(CptTripps @ May 29 2014, 01:00 PM) *

Unfortunately, this is going to force me to look at receipts and document everything. Ugh.

well, we always spend more than we plan, but look at it this way, its your hobby, and at least you have something to show for what you spent, and many $$$$ worth of sweat equity for sure!
stugray
Funny my brother & I were discussing this just 5 minutes ago.
He has a 62 Triumph TR4 racecar (street legal) & I have a 71 914 racecar (also street legal) that has yet to make it to the track.
Here was his comment from an email:

Insuring the 914
You should check with haggerty insurance. You should be able to get full coverage for really cheap. I can’t get Haggerty because they require
the car to be kept in a garage. I have mine insured through Farmers for 35K if I get taken out on the street or if it’s on the trailer on the way to
or from the track plus uninsured drivers.

So I will use Haggerty to insure against the car being stolen or damaged in transit to/from the track.
Anything that happens on the track is on me.

Question though: What happens if say the car is damaged in the garage (fire?). Is that homeowners, or would the car require comprehensive coverage?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(stugray @ May 29 2014, 01:10 PM) *

Funny my brother & I were discussing this just 5 minutes ago.
He has a 62 Triumph TR4 racecar (street legal) & I have a 71 914 racecar (also street legal) that has yet to make it to the track.
Here was his comment from an email:

Insuring the 914
You should check with haggerty insurance. You should be able to get full coverage for really cheap. I can’t get Haggerty because they require
the car to be kept in a garage. I have mine insured through Farmers for 35K if I get taken out on the street or if it’s on the trailer on the way to
or from the track plus uninsured drivers.

So I will use Haggerty to insure against the car being stolen or damaged in transit to/from the track.
Anything that happens on the track is on me.

Question though: What happens if say the car is damaged in the garage (fire?). Is that homeowners, or would the car require comprehensive coverage?

i have comprehensive coverage and if i choose to take it to the track for D.E. i will get additional track event day coverage from Leland West- provided in concert with our local PCA - that way if some idiot takes you out you will be o.k.
- i guess if its a house fire, it would be home owners. - if the fire were caused by the car, then it would be car insurance for the car part -
mepstein
I got a quote from haggarty. $260 was double what I pay for $15k of coverage from American Classic.
patssle
Haggerty doesn't cover daily drivers - what do you guys use that occasionally daily drive?
Downerman
Grundy Worldwide. I love these guys. Same basics as Hagerty in that you can insure your car for an up-front value and my 914 8 is at 25K. I can also drive the car really anytime or anywhere as long as it's not a primary vehicle.

Dave
DMCF1Fast
QUOTE(patssle @ May 29 2014, 01:09 PM) *

Haggerty doesn't cover daily drivers - what do you guys use that occasionally daily drive?

I use Leland West with 3k annual mileage allowance. But I think they now have other customer defined mileage plans.
76-914
Who has had a claim with these companies and what was your result? I don't mind paying another $100 a year if it means my insurer won't drag their feet and cheap out on me when there is a claim.
TJB/914
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 29 2014, 05:27 PM) *

Who has had a claim with these companies and what was your result? I don't mind paying another $100 a year if it means my insurer won't drag their feet and cheap out on me when there is a claim.

I agree,
I currently insure my 914 with my family/business insurance plan for about (3) months at full summer month rates and the balance on reduced storage fire, theft, etc. rates with a $25K value. It costs me about $500. per year so I need to check out Haggerty & Grundy if they are legit??? I don't like insurance problems!! headbang.gif This is an interesting post.
Tom
PanelBilly
I recently got a quote from the Hagerty rep. It was $800 for $65,000. Not that I could sell my car for that much, but if something happened I wouldn't want to work for free repairing it. Knot sure if that's the way I'm going to go yet. Might want to check out Lealand
Downerman
So I did some research and found the following about Grundy. Kind of impressive that the owner puts his cell number in this post. This is his rebutal to a complaint registered on-line:

I just read a complaint stating Grundy Insurance did not provide insurance for an applicants Classic car. For the record Grundy Insurance, until 4 days ago, has NOT been affiliated with Grundy Worldwide Collector Car insurance for the last year!!!
My name is Jim Grundy and allow me to elaborate: For over 60 years my Father before me and I have run Grundy Insurance Agency with several divisions the largest of which until last Sping 2011 was Grundy Worldwide Collector Car Insurance.
Last Spring our underwiting company for the Grundy Worldwide Collector Program, Philadelphia Insurance, exercised a contractual right to terminate our agency from the Collector Car Program and take over the name Grundy Worldwide.

They proceeded to do just that and without any experience or knowledge how to run the business; a new computer system full of "gliches"; and no staff of "Car Guys"- things went haywire!!!

I suspect the person who wrote the complaint/report that I'm rebutting got caught up in this!!

The future however is bright. To my surprise, good fortune, and hopefully for the benefit of all our friends and policyholders, two months ago, the President of Philadelphia Insurance called and asked us to TAKE BACK the Program. We're transitioning into that role as we speak and are determined within as short a timeframe as possible to restore the Collector Car Program to the exceptional level of service we've been known for over the years...

(If the individual who filed the complaint has never received his policy or money back, please contact me direct at Grundy Insurance 215-674-1856...)

SERVICE, KNOWLEDGE, and HONESTY are our business- Jim Grundy
CptTripps
Hagerty needed me to provide proof of a daily driver for every driver in the house. Luckily, we have 3 other cars, but I was pleased that they looked onto it.

My uncle had Hagerty On his 88 Ferrari 328. He had a fire in the engine bay at one point, and they covered it no questions asked and cost nothing out of pocket.

They're generally dealing with people that take care of their cars.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(DMCF1Fast @ May 29 2014, 05:22 PM) *

QUOTE(patssle @ May 29 2014, 01:09 PM) *

I use Leland West with 3k annual mileage allowance. But I think they now have other customer defined mileage plans.

My policy with Hagarty does not limit my milage. It does not allow daily driver for commuting but I could drive it to Florida tomorrow if I wanted for a personal vacation trip and I word be covered, or drive to Octeenerfest etc. I have roadside assistance as well, towing etc. I do ha e other day drivers so that's o.k. When I had it under progressive it was costing me $1000 a year with only a $5000 value and that wasn't an agreed upon value .
GeorgeRud
I've always heard good things about Hagerty, Leland west! and Grundy. They are trying to provide insurance for our 'special' cars and assume we're not going to be using them as routine transportation.

When the large tent blew down at the Scottsdale auctions a few years ago, these guys jumped right in to help their policyholders make things right.

Compare prices, but I think they'll take good care of you.
KELTY360
I've had Hagerty for over 20 years on all my collector cars. I've only had one claim but they handled that one perfectly; frequent follow-up to make sure repairs were going smoothly and quick payment.
infraredcalvin
I have Hagerty on my 930, stated value, all they asked for was a few photos for the file, exterior side, front, back & a 3/4. No interior or anything. Others are correct that it can't be your DD and I've heard that some people have different driving restrictions than others - most likely related on the insured value and premiums.

You have to prove it's not your DD, show that you and your spouse have a vehicle less than 7 years old. If you don't, I'm not sure if they let you go in your way, or charge more. Regardless very friendly and in my case a out 1/4 the cost I had with my old farmers policy with none of the restrictions...
914werke
QUOTE(Philip W. @ May 29 2014, 10:56 AM) *
- i guess if its a house fire, it would be home owners. - if the fire were caused by the car, then it would be car insurance for the car part -

Not necessarily so. dry.gif
From my own direct experience (with the LE burning down in the garage) most ins. co's will require a separate and specific policy for any vehicle even though it may have been damaged in the home regardless of the causation.
In other words Comp. will cover fire damage on you HOME excluding your car bike or ATV. They generally make you carry separate Comp. coverage for each of those vehicles that may also be stored in that home. mad.gif
Check you policy! idea.gif
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 30 2014, 06:28 AM) *

From my own direct experience (with the LE burning down in the garage) most ins. co's will require a separate and specific policy for any vehicle even though it may have been damage in the home regardless of the causation.
In other words Comp. will cover fire damage on you HOME excluding your car bike or ATV. They generally make you carry separate Comp. coverage for each of those vehicles that may also be stored in that home. mad.gif

agree.gif

There's a whole saga on the pelican turbo forum about a member who lost his car in a garage fire. He cancelled his auto insurance during the winter, thinking the HO insurance would cover. He found out the hard way it doesn't. As said above, read your policy.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ May 30 2014, 09:53 AM) *

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 30 2014, 06:28 AM) *

From my own direct experience (with the LE burning down in the garage) most ins. co's will require a separate and specific policy for any vehicle even though it may have been damage in the home regardless of the causation.

agree.gif

There's a whole saga on the pelican turbo forum about a member who lost his car in a garage fire. He cancelled his auto insurance during the winter, thinking the HO insurance would cover. He found out the hard way it doesn't. As said above, read your policy.

Good to know!
patssle
Gundy requires 3 vehicles to insure a daily driver. Leland West allows for only 2 days a week of DD.

Any other suggestions that offer Agreed Value that specialize in classics but allow daily driving? Or just agreed value and daily driving.
stugray
I just got a quote from Hagerty yesterday.

Total value $30,000, "modified", street legal "motorsports" class, driven ~200 mi/year, garaged 100% of time, with liability comes to $475/year.
It essentially covers everything except ON the racetrack.

I plan on checking with State farm, what they want, but I will probably end up going with Hagerty.
Evil Older Brother
I have had Hagerty on my Mustang since day one. Knocked my wifes bicycle into the side of the car (dumb move)resulting in dent and chipped paint. Called and they said to get it to the best painter in the northwest for the repair. No deductible and even got follow up phone call and "get well" card from the agent. Another time, fuel pump went out on the way to car show. Called them, flat bed showed up and towed me to my buddy's shop with no questions or issues. Granted, getting parts for a mustang is a lot easier than a Porsche (yes, I call them P cars!) but for $350 per year for the extended towing policy Haggerty is great.
mepstein
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 20 2014, 01:22 PM) *

I just got a quote from Hagerty yesterday.

Total value $30,000, "modified", street legal "motorsports" class, driven ~200 mi/year, garaged 100% of time, with liability comes to $475/year.
It essentially covers everything except ON the racetrack.

I plan on checking with State farm, what they want, but I will probably end up going with Hagerty.

seems pricey.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.