Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
-JR-
I got in my 914 for the first time yesterday and I've been trying to figure out how to adjust the dang drivers seat forwards and backwards...

I'm not sure what the pull up handle does on the side of the seat, but it doesn't seem to want to make it move.

The passenger seat has a handle that sticks out the front from one of the sides of the seat track, but the drivers side has no handles or nothing out the front of it.

Thanks!

-JR-
vortrex
it commonly breaks off, so I bet your drivers side did.
-JR-
So does that mean there is no way to move or remove the seat?

Also, what does the side handle opperate?

-JR-
jim912928
Ok..the handle on the side is for seat rake/angle. When you pull that up your seat will be able to tilt back/forth. The adjustment for forward/backward is on the front of the seat. There should have been a handle there with like a big O to grab onto. These break off very easily. If yours is missing it is obviously broken off (sounds like your passenger side has it?)?. If this is the case get a flashlight...look under the seat from the front...find where it is broken off and depending on where/how it broke off you might be able to use one of your handy tools to pull the adjuster and move the set. Might have to 2-person it if it is broken way far back.

You'll understand once you look under the seat on both sides along the rails. Then go to the classifieds and ask if anybody has one they could part with!.
jim912928
also note:..if you pull up on the side handle and set the rake as far back as you can (the bottom will lift) you'll be able to see under the seat better.
-JR-
Thanks for the notes!

I've looked very hard at the seat track already and it's just a cave! There is no sign of there ever being a handle arm ever being in place. RRRR!!!

The seat "rake", does it tilt up at the front and hinge from the back?

Thanks!
tracks914
QUOTE (-JR- @ Jan 16 2005, 06:05 PM)
The seat "rake", does it tilt up at the front and hinge from the back?

Yes it does.
As for the "tunnel" you might be looking at the wrong rail.
If the seat was getting hard to move, the PO might have tugged to hard on the handle thinking that was the reason for it not moving.
Worse come to worse, you can get under the seat and unbolt it, take it out, clean it up and replace the handle.
r_towle
On the drivers side seat look under the front, look on I believe the side closest to the shifter, you will see a space between the top rail (bolted to the seat) and the bottom rail (bolted to the car). This space is approx 1/2 in maybe more like 10 mm.

If you look at the one remaining on the passenger side you will see the action is you pull up the handle, this pulls up a bar that is pivoted at the rear of the seat rail.

This bar has a few square posts sticking out of the bottom that index into the holes in the seat track.

If you slide a long thin flat screwdriver in the seat rails, under the bar that is supposed to have the handle on it, you will be able to pry up this bar and release the seat to go forward and back.

If you pull up on the passenger seat and slide it all the way forward you might be able to see how it works better.

If you want to take out the seat, you will only be able to go about 75% of the way then you hit a stopper...this is on the opposite rail from the handle.

This one requires a screw driver to release the seat all the way.

Rich
Bleyseng
This is another spot where the rust monster strikes. Once the seat rails rust, you can't muve them forwards or backwards. Then some moron thinks that if you pull "harder" on the handle this will help the seat move. Nope, you just get a handle in your hand.
Pull the whole seat assembly out and take it apart and clean and lube it. Should slide smoothly.

Geoff
Rhodes71/914
When I got my 914 the handle was broken off. After some help here I was able to locate where the handle had broken off and could move it up with my hand. Still no action on moving the seat.

I finally figured out what Geoff mentioned, my rails were rusted. After much of the afternoon of PB blaster and a hammer and a 2x4 I got a little movement. Then I was able to keep working it back and forth and got it freed up.

It was a bitch, good luck.

Sean
DJsRepS
Once you do find the adjuster lever on the right side rail adj the seat all the way foward then get out kneal beside the seat and lift the lever again and continue pushing the seat foward by hand it will slide off the rails and out of the car. Easy tool free seat removal. Then you can see what to do with the broken handle and clean and lube the tracks. I think you can swap seats at that point or at least the broken adjuster handle.
jd74914
I'd just take off the seat altogether. I did this in a few minutes and was then able to clean the seat rails and adjustment mechanism. Works great now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.