Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinions needed: Will this buff out?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
phillstek
I haven't posted here for a while as I'd been driving the shit out my car and stuff but..... might be a write off, it's pretty bad. No-one was hurt so that's a positive.
Old Yella
Mate its really bad, I'll help you and do you a big favour by taking it off your hands for a 1000 bucks.
Can you drag it down to Canberra for me smile.gif
If not just fix the it.
JawjaPorsche
Damn!
carr914
Buff out, No. Fixable, Yes.

Glad no one was hurt!
edwin
Man that sucks
What happened?
After the work you've done on this car it shouldn't be a problem to fix.
Please get it back on the road it's one of my favourites.
Edwin
phillstek
I hit the service vehicle you can see in the background of the first pic.

I was on the Old Pacific Hwy pulling hard out of a 3rd gear left hander and as I came out of the blind apex, the truck pulled out of a rest area and did a right hand turn straight in front of me.

I braked hard and swerved left to go around behind him and he stopped momentarily before planting it. I hit him in the rear quarter. If he'd just kept on it I would have probably missed him.

It was a state govt vehicle and he's admitted it was his fault.

Got it over to Zags late this arvo and they're gonna quote it next week.

I'm pretty bummed but what can you do?
r_towle
Given your location, fix it.

It can be done, get the thing to a decent frame shop and have it pulled back to straight, then figure out what parts you need.....we all have them...

I bet someone could put together a box of parts for you on the west coast and ship it all at once.....

Check in with Rick Bontempi at High Performance House in redwood city CA.
He has loads of body parts.....
ClayPerrine
That is definitely fixable. Mine was far worse when it was hit by a 3/4 ton Ford pickup while I was sitting still. The body shop had to replace the left front fender, the door and the A-Pillar. Yours doesn't even look like it got the door.

Remember, there are less and less 914s on the road as the years go by. Parting them out for a small bump like that is just a waste.

'73-914kid
How are the door gaps? It doesn't look like the targa top is out of alignment either. This actually looks like a somewhat straightforward repair IMO. From the pictures it looks like instead of transfering a bunch of energy into the front bulkhead, it popped the spot welds from the fender to the chassis.

Fix It!
green914
OUCH! wacko.gif icon8.gif sad.gif
Moneypit
I was about to make a joke about spiders getting real big out there, but then you said it was another vehicle... blink.gif

I'd say at least try to fix it. Parts can be had, and 914's don't grow on trees.
SirAndy
Get it on a Celette bench and have it pulled back. Do a search here for "Celette", there's a couple of good threads about it.

If that rollcage of yours is welded in, you need to cut it before attempting to pull the car back.

This looks fixable, i've seen worse come back from the dead!
smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

PS: Here's a link to two cars i had pulled on a bench
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=52631
Andyrew
^ Yup.

Its totally fixable. Depending on the value of the car in your area it might be considered totaled.

Its going to cost ~ 10-15k USD to fix it. It'll need to be put on the bench with the correct fixtures. If you dont have that available in Australia then It might have to be shipped somewhere where that does...
rick 918-S
You'll need a Celette to straighten it out. do a search for local shops that have them. I'm sure there is a shop within a couple hundred miles of you. Suspension pickup point is shoved back. That's kind of an issue. Careful diagnosis and reverse engineering the impact will put things right.
naro914
Glad nobody was hurt.

totally fixable...

Compared to what happened to Huey back in '07, that is pretty close to a buff out IMO...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
phillstek
I've decided to have it repaired whatever it takes. I have invested so much into it that I have no other choice really.

The shop I took it to only do Porsche repairs and have a bench though I'm not sure if it's a Celette. Their work is exceptional and a lot PCNSW members use them. If anyone can do it, it's them.

They looked at quickly when it got there and said that it would easily be more than $20k to do it properly. Parts availability here is the biggest issue.

They are genuine factory flares on the car and I'm pretty sure I'll be unable to get one those. Are the repro flares exactly the same?

Car is insured for $45k and I have salvage rights. It may end up as a "repairable write off".

I may also make a civil claim on the Railways Dept if I get stuffed around by insurance companies.

Thanks to all for the links and opinions.
carr914
QUOTE(phillstek @ May 30 2014, 05:08 PM) *

I've decided to have it repaired whatever it takes. I have invested so much into it that I have no other choice really.

The shop I took it to only do Porsche repairs and have a bench though I'm not sure if it's a Celette. Their work is exceptional and a lot PCNSW members use them. If anyone can do it, it's them.

They looked at quickly when it got there and said that it would easily be more than $20k to do it properly. Parts availability here is the biggest issue.

They are genuine factory flares on the car and I'm pretty sure I'll be unable to get one those. Are the repro flares exactly the same?

Car is insured for $45k and I have salvage rights. It may end up as a "repairable write off".

I may also make a civil claim on the Railways Dept if I get stuffed around by insurance companies.

Thanks to all for the links and opinions.

The Repo Flares are close but not exactly the Same. I still see some Originals FS occasion. Check with Armando Serrano, he might have a lead on some
blackmoon
Send it to Original Customs, I bet he could make it right
phillstek
QUOTE(blackmoon @ May 31 2014, 09:49 AM) *

Send it to Original Customs, I bet he could make it right

I wish! Though I'm pretty sure the insurance won't pay for two way trans Pacific shipping.
racerx9146
It's your lucky day

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ptd/4495936279.html

If he won't ship let me know, maybe me or one of the Bay Area guys cans assist

Daron
phillstek
QUOTE(racerx9146 @ May 31 2014, 11:10 AM) *

It's your lucky day

Daron

Thank you for the link. I am desperate to get those and would happily pay anyone local to broker the deal and pack them for shipping. Whatever it takes, I need them.

Anyone want to put their hand up?
PanelBilly
You have to fix this beauty. Make them pay whatever it takes
bdstone914
QUOTE(racerx9146 @ May 30 2014, 05:10 PM) *

It's your lucky day

Daron

The seller "thinks" they are Porsche flares. They might not even be steel. Not many people can tell the difference. I leaned recently from another member how to tell the difference.

Bruce
bdstone914
QUOTE(phillstek @ May 30 2014, 05:27 PM) *

It's your lucky day

Daron

Thank you for the link. I am desperate to get those and would happily pay anyone local to broker the deal and pack them for shipping. Whatever it takes, I need them.

I send an email to him on your behalf. First I would want to be sure they are steel flares and hopefully O.E.
I may be able to help you with the rest of the prats you are going to need and arrange shipping.
Hope you still remember me. You came to my shop in Riverside when you were in the states a couple of years ago.

Edit: Looking at the picture of the front flare it sure looks like broken fiberglass at the lower front edge. And they kept the side marker light which is usually eliminated in a flare add on.

Bruce
Socalandy
Sorry to hear and see sad.gif but agree.gif Fix it
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 30 2014, 08:44 PM) *

Edit: Looking at the picture of the front flare it sure looks like broken fiberglass at the lower front edge. And they kept the side marker light which is usually eliminated in a flare add on.

The address shown on the map, and the background of the photo, look like High Performance House. If it is indeed Rich who is selling the parts, he ought to know if they're OEM or aftermarket or steel or glass.

--DD
phillstek
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 31 2014, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(phillstek @ May 30 2014, 05:27 PM) *

It's your lucky day

Daron

I send an email to him on your behalf. First I would want to be sure they are steel flares and hopefully O.E.
I may be able to help you with the rest of the prats you are going to need and arrange shipping.
Hope you still remember me. You came to my shop in Riverside when you were in the states a couple of years ago.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, I sent him an email too as soon as I saw the link so we'll see how it goes.

Yes, of course I remember you and Wes. You bought lunch for my brother and I and I'm pretty sure it was a called a 'philly cheese steak'? You'd only just moved into your shop.

Definitely going to need a few parts to fix it. I'm hoping to make an agreement with my insurance to include the cost for someone over there sourcing and co-ordinating all that's needed.

Had as closer look at the photos on CL and I agree there is definitely quite a bit of f/g on the front one.

I'll keep you posted and thanks again for doing that for me.
phillstek
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 31 2014, 02:22 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 30 2014, 08:44 PM) *

The address shown on the map, and the background of the photo, look like High Performance House. If it is indeed Rich who is selling the parts, he ought to know if they're OEM or aftermarket or steel or glass.

--DD

Thanks Dave, that's a hopeful sign re: HPH. I'll call them first thing Monday
mepstein
if its getting covered by the other guys insurance, cant you buy the new parts that you need? real porsche flares are still available at stoddard. they are sold individually.
phillstek
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 31 2014, 11:29 PM) *

if its getting covered by the other guys insurance, cant you buy the new parts that you need? real porsche flares are still available at stoddard. they are sold individually.

I'll check out their site. Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.