Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
Are the foglights only supposed to work on lowbeam? Mine only work on highbeam, which doesn't seem right...
McMark
Yes, only on low beam. Something is wired backwards.
ejm
Mine are rewired so I can turn them on anytime the parking lights are on.
Demick
QUOTE (Hammy @ Jan 16 2005, 05:58 PM)
Are the foglights only supposed to work on lowbeam? Mine only work on highbeam, which doesn't seem right...

Are they factory installed foglights, or did someone add them along the way? It's possible that a previous owner wired them into the existing headlight wiring and tapped off of the high beam wires.

Demick
campbellcj
If they're factory then the foglight power spade connector is probably just on the wrong tab on the dash relay/fuse panel.

I shot this pic on a previous car and the arrow shows how to move it to the highbeam switch (if you're running actual driving lamps vs foglamps). So you'd want to move it back to the left connector if this is indeed your car's issue.

IPB Image
Hammy
Cool. thanks IPB Image
Brando
By running a connector between those 2 poles, you can have your foglights on anytime the headlamps are on, right? (high-beam or low beam).
scotty914
no to be able to have them on any time you need to trace the white wire that goes to the fog light relay. then cut it off of the connector shown. then ground it, the other wire is the power to the high beams, and when the low beams are on, it gets the ground for the fog light realy through the high beam filimant in the head light. now the hot wire for the fog light relay can be put either on the running lights fuse, so when ever the running lights are on, the fog lights can be. or go to a ing switch controled fuse and then any time the key is on the fog light can be
Demick
The procedure varies depending on what year the car is. Here are some instructions for rewiring the fog lights to work as you would like.

http://members.rennlist.com/demick/fogrewire.html

Demick
SirAndy
QUOTE (Hammy @ Jan 16 2005, 05:58 PM)

yupp, by default only on lowbeam ...
they're supposed to shut themselves off when you switch to highbeam ...

IPB Image Andy
pbanders
I installed driving lights instead of fog lights on my '70. I added two relays to the system so that I can flash the DL's(with the headlights off and down) by pulling on the stalk (don't ask how I did this - I don't even remember!). I always wanted to be able to flash my lights on my 914! I also added a switch so that I could toggle between "normal" (DL's only when low beams on) and "enhanced" (DL's+high beams) operation, just in case I ever got pulled over for searing the retinas of a cop.
Joe Ricard
I rednecked mine. Actually wired up separate switch and relay to 100W driving lights. I can turn them on anytime. However I don't use them much as the are BRIGHT!!!!! Maybe country back roads. or 2 am in the middle of nowhere. Normally my Euro H-4's on low are just fine 55w 65W.
I guess this is a little off topic
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.