Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parts Heaven swap meet and show
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Bellis
I'm planning to be there for a couple hours or so around 7am.

http://www.partsheaven.com/Articles.asp?ID=249

23694 Bernhardt,
Hayward, CA 94545
510.782.0354 | Fax: 510.782.0358

IPB Image
Dave_Darling
I'm planning on being there. Not sure what time, though.

--DD
JStroud
Not me....they should advertise more, first I heard of it...too short of notice for me...busy.
PotterPorsche
I will be there. I believe it's the 25th anniversary. I used to attend even when I didn't own a 914. Found 1 deep six 8 yrs ago 75 dollars
Cap'n Krusty
I'm off to Orange County to see my son and DIL and drop off the 100 year old family baby bed. It's been used by nearly every baby in the extended family since my grandfather built it in the early 1900s. Some things are even more important than a swap meet!

Sorry I'll miss seeing you all.

The Cap'n
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 31 2014, 10:34 AM) *

I'm off to Orange County to see my son and DIL and drop off the 100 year old family baby bed. It's been used by nearly every baby in the extended family since my grandfather built it in the early 1900s. Some things are even more important than a swap meet!

Sorry I'll miss seeing you all.

The Cap'n

Very cool.
I am restoring my cradle, which my son was in....and now my NEW grandkid will get to use also....
Traditions are cool.

Rich
Dtjaden
I'll be there around 9 am. Not sure if I'll drive the 914.
wes
I used to go evry year as I lived in the Sunnyvale and always had a great time. This is a Porsche event put on by Parts Haven with a concourse area and of coarse the maine event is the parts swap with big attendance, it's not just 914 though as I rember they had a number of 914 people attend and I rember seeing a 914 with a 928 v8 transplant! Wish I could make it but I have a 7 year old boy who just loves Air Port days here in Ukiah.
JRust
Yeah a little to short of notice for me. I went once & it is a cool event. Probably would have tried to work it out to go. It's about a little over 9 hour drive. So I am going to pass. Although I wish I could make the trip down. I've got plenty of crap (I mean rare 914 parts lol-2.gif ) I'd like to get rid of
dlkawashima
I'm planning on being there for a few hours tomorrow ... hopefully around 7-ish.
lonewolfe
I'll be there around 9-9:30.
dlkawashima
Here are some pictures from today's swap meet.

This is the entrance road to Parts Heaven, whose building you can see on the right side of the picture
Click to view attachment

If you want to park in the Porsche car corral, you have to pass this check point and have your car deemed worthy
Click to view attachment

As is always the case, more 911s showed up than any other type of car. There was a big delivery truck taking up space in the corral so some of the 911s took to parking in the middle of the street.
Click to view attachment

I got there early, but not as early as Mike Bellis. His 914 was the only car in the corral when I arrived at about 7:15am.
Click to view attachment

First of two 550 Spyder tribute cars in the corral ...
Click to view attachment

My 914 ...
Click to view attachment

Pretty wild color combo on this 911
Click to view attachment

Marty Yoeman's 914
Click to view attachment

The second 550 Spyder in the corral
Click to view attachment
dlkawashima
Down in the swap meet area was this tangerine(?) 914. The owner originally had the 'take me home' sign on his car but had to remove it because too many people were asking how much he wanted for the car. It wasn't for sale.
Click to view attachment

But I believe this 914 was for sale. Never did find the owner ...
Click to view attachment

This beauty was also down in the swap area, but it wasn't for sale
Click to view attachment

Check out the carbon fiber looking vinyl wrap on the roof. It looked incredibly nice! The owner said the vinyl wouldn't stick to the rain gutters, so he filled them in with bondo before doing the wrap.
Click to view attachment

Now here's a crazy custom touch. The owner took a Campbell's soup can, cut it in half, painted it orange, and added a Porsche crest to make his own wheel caps
Click to view attachment

The owner also custom made his center console and back pad
Click to view attachment

The engine bay ... super clean
Click to view attachment

Sandy (Seaside6) arrived just as I was getting ready to leave. Here is his factory six
Click to view attachment

Another 914 that parked outside the corral
Click to view attachment

In the concours section there were two 914s competing. First is a beautiful Bumblebee
Click to view attachment

Next is this '70 914 that won last year's competition
Click to view attachment

a 356 competing in the concours
Click to view attachment

and another
Click to view attachment

let's finish off with another view of the 550 Spyder
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I too looked at this 914; it is beautiful. Looked like all original paint except the passenger's rear quarter looked as if it had been repainted. The owner was a nice guy and offered that info up. He also said that he has only had the car about 1 year, after getting it from his dad. He was asking mid $40K when I spoke with him. I love the way this 914 sits. For me that is the perfect ride height.
Click to view attachment
bmendel
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 2 2014, 06:01 AM) *

I too looked at this 914; it is beautiful. Looked like all original paint except the passenger's rear quarter looked as if it had been repainted. The owner was a nice guy and offered that info up. He also said that he has only had the car about 1 year, after getting it from his dad. He was asking mid $40K when I spoke with him. I love the way this 914 sits. For me that is the perfect ride height.
Click to view attachment

Thanks, this was my car, and yes, we were just having fun with the vintage sales sign, it wasn't really for sale, but when people persisted, I would mention the Excellence article with the similar original paint orange 74 1.8 car, where I think it said he turned down something like 45K for his car, and that I would do the same, as I couldn't replace it for that. My friend went over the whole car with his paint gauge, the entire car was from 2.1 to 3.6 thousandths, the part I thought was touched up he thought was just a flaw from the factory, after all these cars weren't perfect when new like today's cars are.

Fun day, but no one wanted my spare top... if anyone in the bay area wants a cheap spare top, let me know.
pt_700
thanks for the excellent photo report, dave! sorry marie and i missed this one.
Andyrew
Great pics!

Thats quite a big turnout for the 914 guys.
Mike Bellis
To top it off... I had to borrow a jack from Tom Amon and pound my tranny flange back in. Lucky for me he had tools. It's time to chop up this car again... sad.gif
JimN73
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 2 2014, 12:58 PM) *

To top it off... I had to borrow a jack from Tom Amon and pound my tranny flange back in. Lucky for me he had tools. It's time to chop up this car again... sad.gif

The tools were a jack, a jackstand and a BIG AXE.
dlkawashima
Mike's car did a nice job of marking its territory. I think Mike secretly likes having problems so he has an excuse to work on his car ...

Click to view attachment
lonewolfe
Looks like that car has a runny nose! Ha ha!

The swap meet was pretty cool, lots of beautiful cars but it seemed like it was a bigger turn out last year. Of course, I didn't get there till 10am so that might be part of the problem.

As for this 914, I really don't know quite what to think of it. It's a pretty busy looking car. A little too much so for my taste. Does this belong to the guy how owns 034 Motorsports? I've had work done there on my old GTI and they basically seemed mostly focussed on Audi's as I recall.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Jun 2 2014, 08:35 PM) *

As for this 914, I really don't know quite what to think of it. It's a pretty busy looking car. A little too much so for my taste. Does this belong to the guy how owns 034 Motorsports? I've had work done there on my old GTI and they basically seemed mostly focussed on Audi's as I recall.

It belongs to me. The 034 guys have been real nice to me but I don't own the company.
I'm OK if it's too busy for you. We all have our own tastes. The car started life as a POC race car. So it has kept a race car theme.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(bmendel @ Jun 2 2014, 10:23 AM) *

Fun day, but no one wanted my spare top... if anyone in the bay area wants a cheap spare top, let me know.

Speaking of tops, the one on your 914 looked perfect. Did you have it refinished? If so, how was it done and who restored it?

Click to view attachment
bmendel
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jun 3 2014, 11:45 AM) *

QUOTE(bmendel @ Jun 2 2014, 10:23 AM) *

Speaking of tops, the one on your 914 looked perfect. Did you have it refinished? If so, how was it done and who restored it?

Click to view attachment

I think it is original, like the rest of the car. Got a great spare for you to practice on...
arkitect
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 2 2014, 09:00 PM) *

It belongs to me. The 034 guys have been real nice to me but I don't own the company.
I'm OK if it's too busy for you. We all have our own tastes. The car started life as a POC race car. So it has kept a race car theme.

Mike,
I'd be fine if mine looked like a rough race car if it ran. You drive yours all the time to events. My hats off to you.

If you want another rough one to start another project let me know, you can have it at no cost.

Dave
nsr-jamie
Excellent pictures! Thanks for sharing
lonewolfe
QUOTE(arkitect @ Jun 3 2014, 06:52 PM) *

Mike,
I'd be fine if mine looked like a rough race car if it ran. You drive yours all the time to events. My hats off to you.

If you want another rough one to start another project let me know, you can have it at no cost.

Dave

There you go Mike! You can now make a twin!
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(arkitect @ Jun 3 2014, 06:52 PM) *

Mike,

Dave

I am looking for my next project... It will make this one seem mild... idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.