Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash upgrade from 71-73 with A/C ducts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pdlightning
Who has upgraded a early 914 w/o A/C ducts to a later 73 with a knee pad A/C Ducts?

I wan't to install a later knee pad on an earlier dash that doesn't have the dash vents.

I know the glove box is smaller on the later model, and the metal dash portion of the early dash is different. Can the early ducting be used instead of modifying the body sheet metal from the gas tank area?

If anyone has done this, do you have any tips? Recommendations, pictures?

Thanks
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(pdlightning @ May 31 2014, 06:02 PM) *

Who has upgraded a early 914 w/o A/C ducts to a later 73 with a knee pad A/C Ducts?

I wan't to install a later knee pad on an earlier dash that doesn't have the dash vents.

I know the glove box is smaller on the later model, and the metal dash portion of the early dash is different. Can the early ducting be used instead of modifying the body sheet metal from the gas tank area?

If anyone has done this, do you have any tips? Recommendations, pictures?

Thanks

A/C was an after market add on that went under the existing dash!! The later dashes had a fresh air vent and the early ones didn't!
914werke
How much do you want this?

The easiest way would be to swap out the entire dash frame, top pad, glove box, vents & knee pad...

You'll have to disconnect & remove the hose to the center vent & plug the hole or replace the duct with a later.

I dont recall if there are knock-outs or you would have to do some cutting to mount the hose /vent coupling elbows...

ClayPerrine
I took a 914-6 dash and added it to my 73. That moved the key to the left, and I still kept the dash vents.

It was not easy. The 914-6 dash was damaged on the right, so I had to cut the end off of my 914-4 dash and splice the two together. I used the 73 glove box door, and I cut the hole in the left side of the dash frame for the vent. That took away one of the light switches on the left, so I had to move the hazard switch to the right side of the column.

If you are going from an early /4 dash to a later /4 dash with the vents, the dash frame will be a bolt in. But you would have to cut the holes and mount the elbows for the air vents in the body. They won't be there on the early body.

Don't try to alter the existing dash frame. It is much easier to buy a later dash frame and bolt it in.

GeorgeRud
Though I generally drive with the top off and the windows down, I don't seem to remember all that much air actually flowing out of the dash air vents.

Clay is correct that AC vents required an additional unit that fit under the stock dash. When properly fitted and charged, it works as well if not better than the AC installed in the 911s of similar vintage due to the smaller interior volume to cool.
bulitt
The bolt spacing on the steering column mount is different early to late.
So if you change the frame you will need to either get a later column or modify the mounts. If you get a later column the electrical connectors will be different, then.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.