Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
OU8AVW
My 1971 column has the 14 pin connector with 13 pins used. Is this the same in later years? 1970 cars have 12 pin connectors. The 13th wire comes off of the ignition. Do I need a late switch? Do the late switches have 5 wires?
So is Aug 1971 production a "late" car?
When asking folks here about this they say the 1971 cars have 13 wire columns, is this special?
I am confused......
OU8AVW
confused24.gif
SLITS
Ok, I started to answer this a couple of days ago, but ..........

The early switch had a connector on but I don't remember how many pins were on it as I gave the column switch assembly away.

Regardless, if it was a 12 pin, it would not be very difficult to substitute a 14 pin connector as long as it's mate was changed to 14 pin. The extra pin locations could be used to wire whatever you wanted if you had the pin ends to solder to the wires. This is done frequently on a /6 conversion where you want to eliminate the relay board by using the 14 pin female body harness connector and obtaining a 14 pin male connector.

That is the best answer I can give you.

The later switches were totally different as they were not "hard wired" into the harness.

I'll point you to this thread where it says that the switch had a 12 pin connector.

Early Ignition switch
OU8AVW
Understood, my main question is the 13 wire. It is black with a yellow stripe and it comes off of the ignition switch. I can swap this for a 1970 part but it will be missing the 13th wire. I am scared this may open a rift in the time-space continuum or worse, leave me something not working on my car.
Will this work?
What is the black/yellow wire?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.