Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some guidence. Lucky purchased of 74' 914.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
daytona
Hi all,
I am not sure if this is where I should post this. I just got very lucky. Bought a 1974 914 in great condition with no visible rust. The hell hole is intact. The original battery tray has minimal pitting and the longs are in great shape. Here is is my issue: I want to drive and enjoy the car, but I also want to preserve it in the great shape that it's in. What can I do to protect the particularly vulnerable areas of the car? Is there any chemical product /coating that I can apply to the longs and hell hole area to protect them?
Thanks,
Bill.
carr914
Get a Dry Cell Battery like an Optima and that will take care of most everything going forward. Take the side Long Rocker Covers off once a year to make sure there isn't any crud build-up
mtn flyr
welcome.png
daytona
Thanks carr914, the car already has an Optima battery, but I'll make sure to keep the longs clean.

Thanks mtm flyr.

Bill.
KENNY
welcome.png
orthobiz
Welcome, post some pics!

Paul
bcheney

welcome.png

What color is the car? I saw one for sale in Mount Dora last weekend. Hopefully you will join us for the Tropical Ramble in Deland this year in November! Post some pics for us to see your new ride.
etcmss
are you referring to coating rusting areas? there are a number of rust reducer agents available. I use the Eastwood products to neutralize the rust and then convert/coat.
Paint over when done.
Gary
Durus
Agreed....take the rocker panels off, sand the steel down LIGHTLY and spray it with black Rustoleum. That gives you an inconspicuous protective coating. I've done it on a couple cars now and it works really well. Good luck and welcome! welcome.png
JawjaPorsche
I see where you live in Florida where it is humid with afternoon thunderstorms. I know it is impossible but try to avoid rain especially the severe variety where a lot of rain gets in the engine area. I know you have a gutter but there are gaps. Also be careful when washing car to avoid getting water in engine area too.

Consider replacing the engine hood seal near back window. 914Rubber makes a nice one.

We will love to see your car too! beerchug.gif Bring it to Okteenerfest this September!
Cairo94507
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
You have the right attitude. We must be rust vigilant at all times with these little cars.
daytona
Hi all, again.
Thanks for the warm welcome. Sorry for the late reply but been working. I will be posting some photos soon.

bcheney, hi, yes I bought the orange 914 that was on display at Mount Dora. The car was so clean rust wise that I could not pass it up. I saw a very nice yellow 914-6 conversion there. Was that your car?

Looking forward to learning more about the 914. My next post will have pics.
Thanks again for the welcome.
Bill.
bcheney
QUOTE(daytona @ Jun 5 2014, 08:06 PM) *

Hi all, again.
Thanks for the warm welcome. Sorry for the late reply but been working. I will be posting some photos soon.

bcheney, hi, yes I bought the orange 914 that was on display at Mount Dora. The car was so clean rust wise that I could not pass it up. I saw a very nice yellow 914-6 conversion there. Was that your car?

Looking forward to learning more about the 914. My next post will have pics.
Thanks again for the welcome.
Bill.

Congrats Bill! That car is nice. Glad to hear you picked it up. Yes the 6 conversion was mine! PM me with your contact info and maybe we'll catch up some time.
daytona
Hi everyone,
I am back with some photos of the newly purchased 914. The original color was Signal Orange but a long time ago it was painted Tangerine orange. The present paint is all that good but it is doing its job of protecting the metal. You can see in the trunk photo the difference in the two colors. The interior of both trunks and door jambs show honest used patina on the original signal orange. I wonder what is the general opinion when re-painting the car. When I eventually get the car re-painted in the correct color, should I leave the trunks and door jambs as is with the original paint and patina, or should I just paint everywhere possible??? What say you all?
daytona
Here are a few more photos.
daytona
As can be seen by the photos, the car is not perfect, and the interior needs cleaning. The rear trunk shows evidence of maintenance work.
I just realized that I did not take any photos of the engine. I'll do that tonight.
I'll close with a few more photos.
JawjaPorsche
Nice! beerchug.gif
tadink
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jun 10 2014, 03:13 PM) *

Nice! beerchug.gif

agree.gif

tangerine rocks!

beerchug.gif
green914
Looks like a nice car smile.gif welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.