Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adding A/C & Cruise control to my Suby conversion.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Okay obviously my car is not original. I am going to add air conditioning to it. I do like making out of state trips. Spending 8+ hours in hot weather kinda sucks. I want to make it a little more pleasant. So not only do I want to add air conditioning. I want to add cruise control too. So here is what I am looking for

Have you installed a/c in your water cooled conversion? How did you do it? Underdash unit? Some custom deal with your fresh air box? How did you do your heater/ac controls? How well does your setup work?

Have you installed cruise control in your conversion? If so how did you do it? This is mainly to help keep me from getting tickets on those longer drives. My speed tends to slowly creep up. Next thing you know I'm doing 90 in a 55 evilgrin.gif . Which is fine until you see those dreaded lights in the rear view dry.gif
76-914
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 1 2014, 09:23 AM) *

Okay obviously my car is not original. I am going to add air conditioning to it. I do like making out of state trips. Spending 8+ hours in hot weather kinda sucks. I want to make it a little more pleasant. So not only do I want to add air conditioning. I want to add cruise control too. So here is what I am looking for

Have you installed a/c in your water cooled conversion? How did you do it? Underdash unit? Some custom deal with your fresh air box? How did you do your heater/ac controls? How well does your setup work?

Have you installed cruise control in your conversion? If so how did you do it? This is mainly to help keep me from getting tickets on those longer drives. My speed tends to slowly creep up. Next thing you know I'm doing 90 in a 55 evilgrin.gif . Which is fine until you see those dreaded lights in the rear view dry.gif

Hopefully Bob aka Bigkat83 will jump in but until then.............Bob is/has installed a unit from Arizona Mobile AC. They have a unit that slips in where your old unit resides by the tank. Bob was working on connections to the OEM vents and defrost, IIRC.
Cruise is esy to do yourself, Jamie. There are "hall effect" kits from JC Whitney and others that sell for < $200 and take about 2 hours to install. beerchug.gif
Bruce Hinds
When I put the V8 in my '75 it already had an under dash A/C set up. The only non standard part I used was a centrifugal compressor instead of the York single piston vibration monster. I have a SBC with the early Renegade hardware and had to make a mount for the compressor. I used one that had a double pulley and that way I could mount the alternator above it staggered aft. It made for a real nice fit.

The only other difference was to take the condenser out of the trunk floor and mount it to the radiator just like any other car. It worked well.
JRust
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 1 2014, 09:39 AM) *

Cruise is esy to do yourself, Jamie. There are "hall effect" kits from JC Whitney and others that sell for < $200 and take about 2 hours to install. beerchug.gif

How do those Hall effect kits work? Will they work with an aftermarket ECU. I have a Stinger unit from Outfront
ClayPerrine
Just get a hand throttle setup. Once on the highway, pull it up to hold the accelerator in place. Works great as it holds the same throttle opening, not the exact speed. So you get good mileage.

Just remember to that if you have to stop suddenly, you have to push down the hand throttle.

Mike Bellis
Hall effect uses a magnet on the axle as a speed sensor. A vacuum or stepper motor actuator would connect to the throttle body via a cable. They also have a brake safety switch and a brain to run it. It's super easy to install. To use this type of system you must have a cable or linkage operated throttle body.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.