Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you think of this project porsche
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
I know a lot of you have tail draggers. I like the look of the early 911's but cost have skyrocketed in the last couple years. So I'm looking at 912's that I could drop in a 6. I like the idea of a '66 since it's my birth year. I found a car close to me. Very rough but the price might be right. This would be a project for later but I have the space to store it. What do you think? What's the max I should pay? Will I be funding Scotty b's retirement?
messix
that would look so cool dropped on a cj5 chassis happy11.gif
stugray
For something that far gone, you are closer to converting it to a vintage racecar.

That might be more fun stripping it down instead of trying to build it back up with nice parts.
It would still get a type IV engine to go back in and run in the small bore class.
mepstein
I would do an outlaw build and not worry about correct parts, interior, trim, ect. Keep it light, loud and fun.
shoguneagle
after involvement in the 914-6, I think this should be a project that you should enjoy. It depends on the rust, in what areas, and availability of replacement sheet metal. This I know you can handle and will determine what can be done with the car.

I really like originality but the project belongs to you and your check book; subject to the "Supreme Commander" your wife.

I also like to see cars such as this one returned to the road therefore I like the idea of a sixer put into one. You are familiar with the electrical changes, injection or carbs, rusted parts and replacement sheet metal.

Determine if the car is indeed salvageable and then proceed from there. For me, I would definitely take on the project and let it take me down the path that is best for the car.

Good luck and I will watch for this project. Maybe I have one more project left in me.

Steve
skier2.0
Rear torque tube must be solid,if rusted car would be very $$$$$ to repair. Most important area of a 911/912 to check.
Cairo94507
Is it close enough that Scotty could check it out in advance? Looks like it might be a bit of metal work on that one fender....
Dr Evil
Man, I hope you pay Scotty to fix this. He will be set for a loooooooooong time. smile.gif

I bet he is reading this and shaking his head.
mepstein
It's being sold for less than a grand. I can find enough parts on it to sell to cover the purchase cost if the project goes south.
mepstein
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 1 2014, 04:38 PM) *

Man, I hope you pay Scotty to fix this. He will be set for a loooooooooong time. smile.gif

Scotty is always first on the list if he will accept my business.

Socalandy is my inspiration. Just need to find the $$$
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 1 2014, 04:34 PM) *

Is it close enough that Scotty could check it out in advance? Looks like it might be a bit of metal work on that one fender....

I'm sure it will all need work. If I was paying real money, I would pay Scatty to be my second set of eyes.
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 1 2014, 12:38 PM) *

I've got my eye on this piece of property in the Key's rolleyes.gif

I didn't realize in your e-mail you were considering keeping it. It has potential, it would be a neat looking hot rod with the early 3 gauge dash. It needs a lot but so do most of them by now, could be worth a lot when done. Hard to pass up at that asking price.
green914
popcorn[1].gif
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 1 2014, 02:38 PM) *
Hard to pass up at that asking price.

agree.gif

I've seen several on the bird bare and in similar shape advertised (and seemingly sold) for more $$$. At sub $1k You should easily get your money back if you later decide to pass it along...
Dr Evil
I bought a roller 69 for $325 and sold $425 off it 24 hours later. I just wanted the front suspension smile.gif I agree, get it for the price.
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 1 2014, 05:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 1 2014, 12:38 PM) *

I've got my eye on this piece of property in the Key's rolleyes.gif

I didn't realize in your e-mail you were considering keeping it. It has potential, it would be a neat looking hot rod with the early 3 gauge dash. It needs a lot but so do most of them by now, could be worth a lot when done. Hard to pass up at that asking price.

Flipping is always an option.
mepstein
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jun 1 2014, 06:30 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 1 2014, 02:38 PM) *
Hard to pass up at that asking price.

agree.gif

I've seen several on the bird bare and in similar shape advertised (and seemingly sold) for more $$$. At sub $1k You should easily get your money back if you later decide to pass it along...

How much more? I've seen some prices for early 911's but don't know where 912's fit in price wise. Especially missing engine and trans.
wndsnd
They are going up fast. I have seen tubs with asking dollars of 4-6k.

They don't seem to last long so they must be getting close to those numbers.

John

infraredcalvin
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jun 1 2014, 06:55 PM) *

They are going up fast. I have seen tubs with asking dollars of 4-6k.

They don't seem to last long so they must be getting close to those numbers.

John

Yes around $5k. SWB are in short order.
mepstein
Thanks for all the input. Working on bringing it home this week.
rick 918-S
The steering wheel will recover the purchase price. Buy the car, sell the wheel, Strip the big money parts off and sell them, build it as a hot rod.
mepstein
bought it today. towing co will pick up tomorrow.

seller said he will be glad to take down the craigslist ad since he was getting calls and text, day and night.
infraredcalvin
Nice score, try to keep it and make it your own!
bulitt
Funny how the collector car business works.
30 years from now no one will want these cars.
The hot collectible will be the Suby WRX... lol-2.gif
Kids will look in disbelief when they hear the stories of
Subies cut up to put the engine in Granpas old Porsche. confused24.gif
OU8AVW
I think you need to look a little harder.... poke.gif

Click to view attachment

BTW, I took this photo 3 miles from mi casa
mepstein
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Jun 5 2014, 07:19 AM) *

Are they for sale?
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 5 2014, 04:42 AM) *

QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Jun 5 2014, 07:19 AM) *

Are they for sale?

For under $1K? If so sign me up for all of them drooley.gif
Emmel
Send it to The Metal Surgeon , with his cheapest hourly rate in Denver and the best around , thats a known Fact.. That car would be better than new and last 50+years guaranteed.
mepstein
QUOTE(Emmel @ Jun 5 2014, 10:48 PM) *

Send it to The Metal Surgeon , with his cheapest hourly rate in Denver and the best around , thats a known Fact.. That car would be better than new and last 50+years guaranteed.

Yes. Jon does excellent work but I assume he would want to get paid and with one child headed off to college and another 2 years behind, I probably won't be starting any new projects.
mepstein
Rusty is home
Socalandy

[/quote]

Scotty is always first on the list if he will accept my business.

Socalandy is my inspiration. Just need to find the $$$
[/quote]

confused24.gif So it's gonna be all my fault Huh? At least it has rear quarters and an ass end. I look forward to watching your 911 save!!!

I would have done the same thing but I have a 1973 suby powered VW Thing to do for my better half. Adriatic blue and air conditioning were the two must have's...
Old Yella
If you decide to part it out I'll give you a couple of hundred for the horn button biggrin.gif
mepstein
idea.gif
bulitt
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 24 2014, 11:40 PM) *

idea.gif

That will be worth some coin one day.
mepstein
Rusty has left the building
Jake Raby
912s aren't far behind 911s these days.

I just picked up a 68 911L, trying to get what I can, while I can.
refriedbeancounter
Was it a submarine at some point?
mepstein
QUOTE(refriedbeancounter @ Jul 13 2014, 04:37 PM) *

Was it a submarine at some point?

it was stored under a plastic tarp. The body was fairly solid but the tarp made sure to keep the moisture in to give the surface rust a good head start. Front pan and floors were gone but thats true of many of these cars. Buyer drove up from SC to pick up the car.
RenoRoger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 1 2014, 08:10 PM) *

Thanks for all the input. Working on bringing it home this week.

All the comments were an eye opener for me. Since I live out west in the desert, if someone offered me a vehicle like this I would say, pull off usable parts and compost the rest.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.