Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: so sick of that GD fluxcore!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
messix
so I've used this damn thing on and off for quick and dirty non-appearance stuff several years. and it seems that getting the wire speed and current is just a dog chasing its tail!!!

I know that you can go gas on this unit and even saw that you can make your own kit with generic parts that are available..... but am i really going to gain much with this unit? it's a Lincoln 100hd .
luskesq
I have a Lincoln 100 (don't recall if it is an HD) and initially used flux core. Got the gas set up for it and it makes a world of difference in the appearance of my welds. I've used it on 1/8" - 3/16" material with no issues. If you have the $$, buy a bigger unit (with gas). The conversion kit wasn't all that expensive a couple of years ago. I'd never go back to the flux core.

Keith

draganc
Do it! I converted my Hobart flux to gas and couldn't believe how much nice and easier it is to weld..
aircooledtechguy
Time to man-up Troy. You will like how welding changes with gas.

It may be better to search craigslist for a good used 140 amp mig that's ready to go and sell the one you have.
jmill
I hate flux core. The shielded gas is the way to go. If the 100HD version doesn't have infinite feed and heat I would upgrade. If it does it's worth getting the gas kit. My father has the Lincoln 125. Great unit with infinite adjustment. I have the Hobart 185 (a renamed Miller) 185 (240v). It has infinite feed with stepped heat ranges. It's very good but infinite is better. If you can't afford the infinite adjustment models get one with the most adjustment.
Andyrew
Just convert it to gas.

What guage wire are you using? I only use flux core on really heavy material. In fact I dual shield when welding over 1/8" (.35 flux core wire with gas), and I can weld 3/8" fairly decently with a couple passes.

Apart from that... I only use gas.
914_teener
For thinner metal sections gas shielding is the way to go.
CptTripps
gas conversions on the smaller welders is a waste. You end up with a welder that's too small to do a lot of jobs...and have spent about the same as a decent welder WITH gas.

Sell yours on Craigslist, and find another on Craigslist. There are a ton in Cleveland with gas under $400. You'll spend $150 on a decent kit.
Andyrew
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jun 2 2014, 10:50 AM) *

gas conversions on the smaller welders is a waste. You end up with a welder that's too small to do a lot of jobs...and have spent about the same as a decent welder WITH gas.

Sell yours on Craigslist, and find another on Craigslist. There are a ton in Cleveland with gas under $400. You'll spend $150 on a decent kit.

Or your spend $20 on a regulator at harbor freight and $35 on a solenoid switch online.. Add your feed line and a bottle and your done... Oh and reverse polarity and plug it in. Run dual shield till your out of wire..

I've done it when my old 135 was stolen and my uncle gave me his 110 buzz box.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.