Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crazy idea for the trunks and interior...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
Gang,

I yanked the entire interior out tonight and was planning on just sanding it down a little and then re-spraying it before I re-build the rest of the interior. (one of the winter projects.) I had an idea for the interior, and the front and rear trunks. (Or boots...whatever.) I had an assistant a while ago that had these guys spray a bedliner into his new truck. Took them about a day, and it was REAL solid. The nice part was that it was impervious to lots of chemicals, and completely waterproof.

http://216.28.21.48/cgi-bin/permatech.cgi/.../Tech_Info/A/55

That's the technical part, but I remember at the shop, they had a ton of stuff that they'd sprayed with the stuff. There is an off-road magazine that had them do the OUTSIDE of their truck because it was so great with chips and stuff.

I'm thinking that it may add 30-40lbs to the car, but it'll never rust through, and if I get it done in Yellow, might actually look real nice too. I'm also thinking it'll quiet the interior up a bit.

I think his truck bed cost like $250 (4yrs ago) and I can't imagine it'll take any more than that.

Think it's a good idea? Or am I REALLY crazy?
xitspd
Good idea if weight does not matter to you. The bedliner material is waterproof and very durable. I recently bought some titanium bolts for my 914-6.
Brando
I think it's an awesome idea. I want the same thing done to my undercarriage and engine bay. I think Eastwood sells a lot of products to aid in doing linings like that, but I don't think they'll match the quality of the Permatech option you've posted.
CptTripps
Yeah, the one that my friend did in his truck wore like nothing I've ever seen. We hauled bricks, wood, steel, and a LOT of computers in the back of that thing, and it looked new when he sold the truck 4yrs later.

It was only about 1/8" thick as I remember. They roughed up the metal first, primed it, then sprayed it on. Took like a day or something. I figure I can be working on my doors and hoods while it's there getting sprayed. It may not even weigh 40lbs total...Who knows. But I'm certainly not AXing int eh thing, and am just looking for a DD that'll last a lot of summers.

I already have a call into them. I'll report back when I know costs and such.
Bruce Allert
I had ARMA Coat (similar to Rhino Lining) sprayed in my pickup bed and have it in all our training vans. Very nice to be able to spray out with confidence that it won't allow moisture to get under it & rust.

Doing the under carridge, trunk, engine bay and even the interior would prolly add a bit of weight but the car would never come apart IPB Image

....b
boxstr
If you are looking for sound deadening material, try this FATMAT http://www.fatmat.com/
CCLINFATMATME
bondo
Has anyone tried this with the DIY hurculiner stuff? (keep it off your hootus!) I noticed that it's cheaper now, and though not as thick, I'm tempted to do my trunks and interior with it. I can't easily do the rhino-lining, because when it's time to do it the car won't have wheels yet.
boxstr
Personally I don't like to see a front or rear trunk with anything on it but body color paint, and the smoother the better. I like ot be able to go in and wax the trunk floors and the lids. Truck bed liner spray is going to look as though you are hiding some kind of ?????????
CCLINFATMAT
bondo
QUOTE (boxstr @ Jan 16 2005, 10:25 PM)
Personally I don't like to see a front or rear trunk with anything on it but body color paint, and the smoother the better. I like ot be able to go in and wax the trunk floors and the lids. Truck bed liner spray is going to look as though you are hiding some kind of ?????????
CCLINFATMAT

I agree with you for most 914s.. but I'm aiming for a daily driver. I hauls all kinds of crap around in my daily driver, and I'd like to not have to worry about keeping it shiny and scatch free. I will also have some repairs to hide IPB Image I am not willing to replace a whole panel for a couple quarter sized holes that are under carpet.
SpecialK
I used the 3 part Herculiner on a Jeep Wrangler I used to own, worked great! It had a hard-top which was nice in the winter, but sucked in the summer when I wanted to drive around topless IPB Image . So I coated the entire interior and bought a baja vinyl top for the spring, and summer (pulled the drain plugs....let it rain!), and reinstalled the carpets and hardtop for late fall and winter. Drove it around like that for 6 years with "0" rust developing, and virtually no wear to the Herculiner coating. If I ever get another Wrangler that's the first mod I'm doing to it. IPB Image
GWN7
The only problem with these types of materials is that you have to start with a rust free surface to begin with. If any rust or moisture is trapped under the material your car will continue to rust away.
SirAndy
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jan 16 2005, 08:13 PM)
Think it's a good idea? Or am I REALLY crazy?

the PO had done that on my car and it was a royal PITA to deal with. very rough finish, couldn't clean it right, looked like shit and probably weighted 200 lbs ...

got rid of all of it before i got the new paint.
if you like your car, don't do it!
IPB Image Andy
Bruce Allert
The stuff is very thin now and comes in various textured surfaces & colors. Before it can be applied the surface needs to be taken down to bare metal and sprayed with a bonding primer. This is how ours is done and there is no rust or moisture when it['s applied. If you want an original car and have designs on selling it then it prolly isn't a good idea but if you want to keep it forever then WTH, eh?

Just make sure you go to a reputable place that knows what they're doing..

......b
scotty b
Strip to bare metal, POR-15, allow to dry for 2-3 days,( this is to ensure the paint does not lift when the liner is applied) then coat with bed coating. The stuff is great and can be applied in any thickness you desire. I am using it on the cab floor to completely seal it in case of a leaking top or getting cought with the top off. I will also be covering the rear of the rear trunk with it!!
Howard
Kinda hit this before, so here's the link .

I swear by this stuff, but wouldn't want it in the interior because it's abrasive to the touch. Cover with carpet? Then OK. Used about a quart of Herculiner to do my rockers, bumpers, chin spoiler and rear valence, so maybe 2 lbs. Needs no primer or POR15 under it, just a clean roughed up surface. Bulletproof, hides surface blems so no bondo or perfect bodywork needed. Also not removable!!!

But none of this is a substitute to fixing the leaks and keeping it clean.
CptTripps
Thanks for the link. I DO try to search for this stuff before starting a thread, but I didn't use the word 'Rhino'.

I'm going to go for it. Maybe some day I'll do a 'stock' 914, but I'm going to play with this one.
Howard
Bottom line.. these are all just opinions, and they are all correct. I found rust on firewall. Removed sound pad, scraped and wire brushed like crazy, put on this goo and then a new foil covered pad.

But I don't use it in either trunk or the rest of the engine compartment, so go figure IPB Image .
watsonrx13
I just completed stripping the seam-sealer, tar, paint from the passenger compartment, engine compartment and rear trunk. I also repaired all rusted areas, cut, trim, weld, grind. After 3 coats of primer, I put 2 coats of paint. Just about everything I painted in the passenger compartment and rear trunk will be covered with carpet. I agree with Andy, I want to see if there is any rust demons working on my car and with the red I'll be able to see rather quickly. Anyway, just my opinion and my solution....
Howard
Wow, that's gorgeous! If my car looked like that it I would just put it in the family room with a rope around it! Yellow would have been faster IPB Image
redshift
QUOTE (boxstr @ Jan 17 2005, 01:25 AM)
CCLINFATMAT

Anal retentive, paranoid...

IPB Image

I am with ya...

M
John
I had a similar thought, with a twist...

The track car (that is all it does) ends up with "stars" on the fenders where stones are thrown by the tires into the insides of the steel flares. Hopefully this stuff will prevent some of this from happening...

I am considering spraying the inside of the fenders with the stuff to see if it gets sandblasted away like all the paint in the inner fenderwells does. It may add a few pounds but I kinda doubt it will add too much weight if only used in the problem areas of the inner fender wells.

Damn sticky tires.
CptTripps
I just heard back from the people at Perma-Tech, and they wanted $669 to do the parts of the car I wanted done. WAY more than I was planning on spending...so I'm off to the Auto-Parts Store to get a gallon of HercuLiner. ($89.00)

I'll take pics and let you all know how it ends up.
IronHillRestorations
It's your car, you can do whatever you want.

If you are asking for advice, my advice is not to do that. Spraying that in there isn't going to guarantee that it won't rust. As a matter of fact that is one of the problems with the spray in bedliners, if you have any adhesion problems then you'll get rust wherever the liner lifts. Of course the trunks of your 914 won't see the moisture that a truck bed gets, but if you have a rear trunk problem it may really make for trouble.

I totally agree on not adding weight too. 914's aren't the most powerful cars and adding extra weight has the net result of power loss.

If you are set on spraying some sort of protective texture, why not use 3M Rocker Shutz? It can be tinted before spraying and is IMHO cosmetically better.

My preference is stock appearance. If it get's chipped up you can just sand it and repaint it every couple years.

I don't think you are helping the value or appearance of the car. If you ever sell the car later down the road, someone will probably open the trunks and go IPB Image
bondo
QUOTE (9146986 @ Jan 20 2005, 07:47 AM)

I don't think you are helping the value or appearance of the car. If you ever sell the car later down the road, someone will probably open the trunks and go IPB Image

But at least then you could just hose it out IPB Image
CptTripps
I think I'll just do the interior. I wanted to eliminate some road-noise, and I think that's better than just Dynamat.

I'm finding ALL KINDS of stuff to weld and repair in the cabin. I guess the PO's idea of a repair was riviting 8ga steel to the floor, and epoxying over it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.