Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: 1971 California licence plates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
koozy
I would like to buy a set of 1971 licence plates for my newest project.

Does anyone have a set?

Mike
Tom_T
Mike,

In addition to evil-bay, if you Google for it, there are several websites out there selling used & NOS CA plates & year stickers - one guy in Sacto is an ex-DMV guy & knows his stuff, & a couple in SoCal that I recall from when I got a `56-series plate & `60 sticker for a YOM for our vintage trailer last year.

However, CA DMV only allows cars to go up to `69 for reassignment to YOM plates (year of manufacture, trucks go a bit later to 70 or 71), unless you came across the specific original plates for your car which IIRC can be assigned back onto it so long as not assigned to another vehicle (same not reassigned rule for YOM).

There are also some out of state groups who make repro plates for anywhere for display purposes only (i.e.: off street at car shows), but CA DMV is trying to crack down on them too.

So don't over pay for `71 CA plates which can't be used legally.

Your best bet if you're looking to use them on the street, is to get the official DMV reproductions of the 71 gold on blue plates which CA DMV is now selling as essentially a "vanity plate" which looks like the old ones but in a modern reflective plate (no raised letters, just flat printed). IIRC their annual & first time fees are about the same as any vanity plate & you can choose any unused phrase or numbers etc. that's available.

FYI to other teeners out there looking for period correct plates - for those with early `70 MY 914's - they can do a YOM if the VIN is in `69 & 1st registered in any state in `69 - then you few can get unassigned gold-on-black plates & get the assigned to your 914 with the proper DMV paperwork, fees & must have both matching plates (e.g.: our trailer came in from NM, was a `61 MY first registered in summer `60). It takes about 30-90 days if the DMV person knows what they're doing when they process the paperwork & calls in to check it's unassigned, and you have all the paperwork, and have called the 916 number at Sacto DMV to verify that the plates' numbers are unassigned before/after you buy them (the guy noted above in Sacto lists the 916 DMV # on his website).

For the rest of us late-70 to 76 914ers, we're stuck with either retaining or finding the original plates, historic vehicle plates (which technically limits use to car events etc.), getting the DMV's repro vintage plates, or whatever newer series plates.

BTW - YOM plates are only $10/yr extra once assigned at renewal time, but the DMV's repro vintage ones are the same as other vanity plates now at $70/yr. extra IIRC.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
SLITS
One more thing unless they have changed it ...

Even if you have the original plates for the car, you will also need ..

1.) Original Pink Slip

2.) Last Original Registration Card

3.) A couple of pieces of paper to be approved by the DMV (I waited 6 months). A statement that you are a car collector. A statement that you will not drive the car on the street until the DMV approves the plates.

4.) MONEY
Tom_T
agree.gif

I'm pretty sure that's still required Ron.

IIRC the check on reassigning back to the original plates takes longer (3-6 mos.) than YOM plates, cuz they have to check all the title & VINs are not stolen, swapped, cut-n-welded, non-salvage, etc. ...and longer especially if it has not been under non-op registration throughout, like my 914 will be when I re-register it again! dry.gif

Whereas, the YOM is basically changing out a clean title & plate(s) for different plates - same as doing a vanity plate from the standard type.

There is also a bunch of paperwork & fees that go along with the YOM plate applications too. IIRC it was 2 or 3 forms, copies of your plate(s) (1 for trailers & cycles, 2 matching for cars & trucks) & YOM DMV year sticker on the rear plate, & about $170-200 in fees to apply (about the same app. fees as for doing vanity plates or DMV's new retro-repro plates).

In all cases, folks are best to go to the CA DMV website to look up their current rules, forms & fees.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 3 2014, 08:07 AM) *

One more thing unless they have changed it ...

Even if you have the original plates for the car, you will also need ..

1.) Original Pink Slip

2.) Last Original Registration Card

3.) A couple of pieces of paper to be approved by the DMV (I waited 6 months). A statement that you are a car collector. A statement that you will not drive the car on the street until the DMV approves the plates.

4.) MONEY

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.