Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wipers and horn quit working together
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doc in GA
I was driving along the other day in the rain when my wipers stopped in mid-sweep. When I got home, I noticed that the horn stopped working, too. All my fuses on the panel look good. Does anybody have any ideas?? BTW, the help on replacing the plastic shfter cup was helpful. I put my own move on releasing the shifter head..... but alas, is there a connection between between dead wipers and dead horn?
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Doc in GA @ Jun 2 2014, 12:05 PM) *

I was driving along the other day in the rain when my wipers stopped in mid-sweep. When I got home, I noticed that the horn stopped working, too. All my fuses on the panel look good. Does anybody have any ideas?? BTW, the help on replacing the plastic shfter cup was helpful. I put my own move on releasing the shifter head..... but alas, is there a connection between between dead wipers and dead horn?

Relay behind the fuse panel (I think)
Tom
Relay J-13, fresh air fan relay. Clean the contacts and slightly spread the male prongs on the relay.
Tom
Doc in GA
QUOTE(Tom @ Jun 2 2014, 05:07 PM) *

Relay J-13, fresh air fan relay. Clean the contacts and slightly spread the male prongs on the relay.
Tom

Dropped the fuse panel and water had gotten underneath the relay and shorted it out. Thanks for the info. 40 years and I had never messed with the fuse panel before. Must be a record!! Thanks for the advice, Doc in GA
saigon71
QUOTE(Doc in GA @ Jun 3 2014, 12:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom @ Jun 2 2014, 05:07 PM) *

Tom

Dropped the fuse panel and water had gotten underneath the relay and shorted it out. Thanks for the info. 40 years and I had never messed with the fuse panel before. Must be a record!! Thanks for the advice, Doc in GA

A two for one fix here! My wipers stopped working a few weeks back. Checked all the wiring and figured the motor burned out. Bought a good used one. Yesterday I noticed the horn didn't work and remembered seeing this thread. Cleaned the relays and spread the prongs behind the fuse panel...success!

Thanks 914 world! beerchug.gif

HalfMoon
Hmmm....
I'm getting a wiper fail but the horn is working. No love when I jiggle the wiper switch but it sometimes will come on of it's own accord. I'm thinking column switch?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Jun 6 2014, 02:05 PM) *

Hmmm....
I'm getting a wiper fail but the horn is working. No love when I jiggle the wiper switch but it sometimes will come on of it's own accord. I'm thinking column switch?

agree.gif

Sounds like a switch. The switch is made of parts sandwiched together. If it is too tight or too loose you will have problems. Many time the spacers in the sandwich will break and the guts will flop around a little.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.