Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does anyone know this 914 ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ilove914
Hello everybody,

this US car is offered in Europe as a 1974 with a 3.0 Carrera engine:
Click to view attachment

Does anyone know this car ?
I am looking for technical details and history.

Thanks for any information ! pray.gif

Ilove914
Gustl
check the VIN and then check the database if it's listed: members cars

and of course: welcome.png
mepstein
Hopefully its not the blue GT look with a MM engine.
infraredcalvin
Nice looking car, need more pix!
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jun 3 2014, 09:55 AM) *

Nice looking car, need more pix!

agree.gif welcome.png
biosurfer1
That car is located here in Sacramento. It's at a dealer that actually has decent reviews, however it has the Motor Meister engine and transmission in it. Now obviously MM did do some decent engines, but this one hasn't been broken in yet so who knows what it will do. MM was raided recently and they are out of business now so I would buy the car expecting a full rebuild on the engine, and considering yourself lucky if it does not. Also, it's a conversion car not a real 6.

Here is the full ad:

http://www.luxmotorcars.com/1974-Porsche-9...53/Details.aspx
Nine_14
Interesting to follow the price jumps the car made during the last weeks in both dicections. Now offered by the well known dealer westsidecars here in germany.
carr914
QUOTE(Nine_14 @ Jun 3 2014, 01:18 PM) *

Interesting to follow the price jumps the car made during the last weeks in both dicections. Now offered by the well known dealer westsidecars here in germany.

Sometimes Euro Dealers will find Ads here in the US and will run their own Ad thinking they can buy it, flip it, then ship it

When I was selling my GT, two Euro Dealers did that until I found out and told them to take their Ad down
Nine_14
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 3 2014, 08:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Nine_14 @ Jun 3 2014, 01:18 PM) *

Sometimes Euro Dealers will find Ads here in the US and will run their own Ad thinking they can buy it, flip it, then ship it

When I was selling my GT, two Euro Dealers did that until I found out and told them to take their Ad down

Well done carr914, business like that is price rigging and makes 914ers unreachable
for people with an ordinary wallet size.
Calculating the costs for shiping etc. illustrates who make the real money when making deals like this.

mepstein
[quote name='biosurfer1' date='Jun 3 2014, 11:30 AM' post='2045681']
That car is located here in Sacramento. It's at a dealer that actually has decent reviews, however it has the Motor Meister engine and transmission in it. Now obviously MM did do some decent engines, but this one hasn't been broken in yet so who knows what it will do. MM was raided recently and they are out of business now so I would buy the car expecting a full rebuild on the engine, and considering yourself lucky if it does not. Also, it's a conversion car not a real 6.

Why is it obvious that mm did some decent engines? For years, I've only heard the contrary. Non working, leaking pieces of crap if you even got your engine or car back. Their engines were known as the red fan of death.
hot_shoe914
I have a friend who has a MM engine in his car and it runs like a scalded dog. Very smooth, very fast, does an awesome job. It was built many years ago though but has been an awesome motor.
carr914
Even a Blind Squirrel finds a Nut or two!
biosurfer1
There are stories out there that MM used to make a decent engine, then went downhill fast. Makes sense since they must have had a decent rep at some point in time to keep getting customers in the doors.

I heard until the end they would produce good engines for well off customers to help generate word of mouth...worked for a while it seems.

[quote name='mepstein' date='Jun 3 2014, 02:23 PM' post='2045854']
[quote name='biosurfer1' date='Jun 3 2014, 11:30 AM' post='2045681']

Why is it obvious that mm did some decent engines? For years, I've only heard the contrary. Non working, leaking pieces of crap if you even got your engine or car back. Their engines were known as the red fan of death.
[/quote]
Ilove914
Hi all.

thanks for the fast answers !

The car is offered in Europe here:
http://lk13864.testslot15.testing.modix.de...Motor-190917043

Same car but different price hissyfit.gif

ConeDodger
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Jun 3 2014, 07:30 AM) *

Here is the full ad:

http://www.luxmotorcars.com/1974-Porsche-9...53/Details.aspx

Not only does Luxury Motorcars have good reviews, they are good people. I used to work next door and spent a bit of time there.

They consign pretty much everything there so there is probably an owner somewhere behind them...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Ilove914 @ Jun 3 2014, 09:48 PM) *

Hi all.

thanks for the fast answers !

The car is offered in Europe here:
http://lk13864.testslot15.testing.modix.de...Motor-190917043

Same car but different price hissyfit.gif

The Luxury Motorcars ad is the real deal. As I said, I worked next door from their location on Fee drive in Sacramento for years and those pictures were taken there. I now work a half mile away. If you want, I can lay eyes on it for you...
jim_hoyland
VIN 4742913326 appears in the database. Entry was made in 2008 when the car was offered on eBay. Tennessee?
Ilove914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 3 2014, 12:57 PM) *

would you know this car ?
mepstein
QUOTE(Ilove914 @ Jun 4 2014, 03:10 PM) *

Only that having a mm engine is the same to me as having no engine at all.
carr914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 4 2014, 05:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Ilove914 @ Jun 4 2014, 03:10 PM) *

Only that having a mm engine is the same to me as having no engine at all.

agree.gif
Ilove914
These are details from ebay 07/2008:

1974 914 with 911 3.0 liter conversion *NO RESERVE*
Memphis, Tennessee
3.0 911 engine

1974 PORSCHE 914-6 3.0 liter conversion

3.0 911 Motor

Extensively restored body (not rotisserie)

New Porsche Ameritime Blue factory color

All new rubber gaskets and seals throughout

New competition seats

New complete interior – carpet and padding, dash, and door panels

New 5 point harness both seats

Newly rebuilt transmission with Limited slip by MotorMeister

New clutch assembly

All new shifter bushings

Completely rebuilt (all internals) Webber carburetors by MotorMeister

New alternator

Rebuilt 911 brakes front and rear

New drilled rotors (all fours)

Rebuilt very rare 8X15 Gotty wheels (all four)

New Yokohamas

New quick release MOMO competition steering wheel

New headers

New Stainless Supertrapp exhaust

Carbon fiber side mirrors

New gas tank

For Sale as is where is

No warranty given or implied

Buyer responsible for pick-up and or transportation

2 1/2 year restoration process. For sale due to family illness.

Car is running, titled and ready for new owner.

A truly great opportunity.

Not that bad - except the engine and gearbox risk...

Rand
This is like a Shark Tank episode. Everything looks good but then the questions come.....

MotorMeister

Big red flag. Maybe they built a good engine (honoring the one comment here). Problems come up when you dig a little deeper.

It appears to be an amazing car. But the power plant is at question. Lot's of trinkets on the list, but those aren't money. I'm out.

914_1.7
Strange huh.gif
-> Offer in 2008: rebuilt engine and transmission
-> Offer in 2014: the engine is a 3.0 litre lifted from a 911 that has been fully rebuilt by Motor Miester and has less than 100 miles on it since the rebuild. The engine is attached to a rebuilt side shift transmission that has a brand new clutch also done by Motor Meister.

not run for 6 years ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.