Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My ChumpCar 914 is finally alive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
andrew15
Well, I got the car together and we ran at Watkins Glen a couple of weeks ago.

The car is a 73 914 2.0 with a Nissan Maxima engine in it

Unfortunately it turned into a test session more than anything as a rad hose slipped off a splice and we lost the coolant, later in the day a different hose got cut by the alternator pulley and we lost coolant again - this time cooking the heads and requiring an engine swap... something to be said for the air cooled engine wink.gif

That said, it showed some great potential and once I get a few bugs ironed out, it should be a contender under the Chump Car rule set.

A pic as it went through tech:
ThePaintedMan
smilie_pokal.gif

Congrats Andrew! It's been a long time coming, but glad you got it done. I guess we're next...

Sorry to hear about the motor sad.gif Bummer.
andrew15
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 3 2014, 06:50 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

Congrats Andrew! It's been a long time coming, but glad you got it done. I guess we're next...

Sorry to hear about the motor sad.gif Bummer.

Yup - it was a bit delayed with a move across the country and buying a house, etc, but I'm glad it's done!

I've got a few more test days scheduled, but I'm hoping to get to 2 more races this year
Jetsetsurfshop
I got some questions....
15 x 7 in the rear? Did you space them out?
Did chump give you any grief about the 5 lug conversion?
Did chump give you any grief at all?
Car looks great!! Working on a chump myself too.
Shane
andrew15
Hi Shane -

15 x 7 in the rear? Did you space them out?
I was going to space them out, but chump now assigns a $5 per spacer value - I didn't have the room in my total value for the $20, so I skipped the spacers - after I'd already mounted the flares... sad.gif

Did chump give you any grief about the 5 lug conversion?
No grief at all. The rears are drilled to 5-lug and didn't add anything to value as studs are free. The fronts added a bit to my value as they are 911 struts and hubs

Did Chump give you any grief at all?
Nope - none at all - other than the transaxle leaking some oil. In fact a number of the Chump staff stopped by to reminisce about friends and family that had 914s and commented that once sorted, it should be a great car.

Car looks great!!
Thanks! Car was vinyl wrapped, but if I did it again, it would be cheap paint. The wrap was waaayyyyy too time consuming and will need to be redone on the front corner.

Working on a chump myself too
There seems to be a few starting to make their way out of the woodwork these days. With the light weight and great handling, they should do well if you can get a bit more power into them.
Trekkor
Yes, in these series the wheels, tires, brakes and some of the other safety related components are not budget items. ( tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings, etc )

Nice looking car!
bulitt
Any pics of the engine? What year HP?
andrew15
I should have a picture or two of the engine hanging around

It's a VQ30DE from a 98 Nissan Maxima - rated for about 190 hp
After going through tech, I have enough room for the later 2000-01 DE-K engine that has 220 hp, so I'll probably fit that for the next race.

Regards,
Andrew M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.