Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Starter upgrade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdm914
Is a Bosch SR68X starter a direct fit to a 914-4 set up? The factory SR17X starter does not turn my engine over very fast. The current starter is in good shape with a new battery. Are there any other starters applicable if the 911 starter won't work?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(jdm914 @ Jun 3 2014, 09:01 AM) *

Is a Bosch SR68X starter a direct fit to a 914-4 set up? The factory SR17X starter does not turn my engine over very fast. The current starter is in good shape with a new battery. Are there any other starters applicable if the 911 starter won't work?

I use the aftermarket gear drive starters on our 914s. They work great and turn the engine quite briskly. I won't ever go back to a stock starter.

SLITS
SR68X is Bosch's designation for the rebuilt 1.2 Kw starter used on some 911s. Porsche went back and forth between the SR17 (0.8 Kw) and the SR68.

It will fit but it is larger and heavier. For the rebuilts, they are using cheap solenoids which fail easily.

Clay has the right idea with the aftermarket / modified gear reduction starter. It's probably less expensive.

I've used at least 7 of the gear reduction starters.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 3 2014, 09:40 AM) *

SR68X is Bosch's designation for the rebuilt 1.2 Kw starter used on some 911s. Porsche went back and forth between the SR17 (0.8 Kw) and the SR68.

It will fit but it is larger and heavier. For the rebuilts, they are using cheap solenoids which fail easily.

Clay has the right idea with the aftermarket / modified gear reduction starter. It's probably less expensive.

OH MY GOD! Mark this day on your Calendars People! SLITS actually agreed with me on something! poke.gif

SLITS
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 3 2014, 12:19 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 3 2014, 09:40 AM) *

OH MY GOD! Mark this day on your Calendars People! SLITS actually agreed with me on something! poke.gif

But I'm still taller and it was a Senior moment. stirthepot.gif lol-2.gif
Andyrew
Contact this guy.

I bought mine for 125 shipped, brand new... Looks like he's charging an arm and a leg now for shipping.. See if he'll ship you one for 150.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/hiperformanceusa/m...984.m1439.l2654
jdm914
I bought one of these starters and decided not to use it because it came with a 4mm spacing shim and would not let the starter seat all the way into the bell housing. Did you use the shim with yours or did your even have one with it? Did I buy from the wrong person on e-bay? I would rather use a lightweight gear reduction starter if all possible. Any additional advise is welcomed....
SLITS
I have installed 5 of the starters without the shim and no problems.
jdm914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 4 2014, 10:17 AM) *

I have installed 5 of the starters without the shim and no problems.

Thanks for the information with history of performance.
Andyrew
I installed mine with the shim, but mine is a v8 conversion.

Without the shim it caused a heck of a noise.
worn
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 3 2014, 11:45 AM) *

Contact this guy.

I bought mine for 125 shipped, brand new... Looks like he's charging an arm and a leg now for shipping.. See if he'll ship you one for 150.

I didn't find any at the link that would turn a 914 or 911. I am looking for a starter that will turn my 3.2. I have a box of 914 starters, but was thinking they would be a bit on the tepid side.
Brian_Boss
There is more than one manufacturer of the gear reduction starters out there. At least one has a bad rep for eating ring gears and generally poor quality.

Clay and Ron, do you remember what brands yours are?

We only sell the IMI ones which are more expensive than the one in the ebay link but I feel good about the quality.

Regarding the ebay link, _if_ he is correct in his listing that it interchanges with an IMI-101, the one titled "VW THING..." is the correct one for 914/911.

Andyrew
QUOTE(worn @ Jun 4 2014, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 3 2014, 11:45 AM) *

Contact this guy.

I didn't find any at the link that would turn a 914 or 911. I am looking for a starter that will turn my 3.2. I have a box of 914 starters, but was thinking they would be a bit on the tepid side.

You need to message the guy and see if he has any.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Jun 5 2014, 06:11 PM) *

There is more than one manufacturer of the gear reduction starters out there. At least one has a bad rep for eating ring gears and generally poor quality.

We only sell the IMI ones which are more expensive than the one in the ebay link but I feel good about the quality.

Regarding the ebay link, _if_ he is correct in his listing that it interchanges with an IMI-101, the one titled "VW THING..." is the correct one for 914/911.

I bought mine through Zim's Autotechnik in Bedford, Texas. I don't know who they get them from.

Disclaimer: I buy almost all my parts through them. I am friends with the owner, and I used to work there.

saigon71
QUOTE(jdm914 @ Jun 4 2014, 01:44 PM) *

I bought one of these starters and decided not to use it because it came with a 4mm spacing shim and would not let the starter seat all the way into the bell housing. Did you use the shim with yours or did your even have one with it? Did I buy from the wrong person on e-bay? I would rather use a lightweight gear reduction starter if all possible. Any additional advise is welcomed....

I bought mine from hiperformanceusa off ebay. It came with the shim. I installed it without the shim and had no problems.

Hi-torque is the way to go!
SLITS
QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Jun 5 2014, 04:11 PM) *

Two were IMI (Whittier, CA) ... One was R&B Performance (Parker, AZ) and the remainder were the HiPerformanceusa units (Riverside, CA).

And the only one that ever ate my ring gear was a Bosch SR68X.
914work
What does this "shim" look like? Is it just a flat doughnut of Alum? Or does it have a defined periphery?
saigon71
QUOTE(914werke @ Jun 6 2014, 11:21 AM) *

What does this "shim" look like? Is it just a flat doughnut of Alum? Or does it have a defined periphery?

It has a defined periphery to match the starter housing.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Jun 5 2014, 03:11 PM) *

Brian could you provide a link to yours! Another thing I have to buy! Love GPR stuff.
rgolia
I just installed the high torque IMI starter in my 914....what a difference....outstanding
Brian_Boss
Ron - Thanks for the info. It's certainly possible that either a) the other manufacturers resolved the issue or b) the 911 guys having problems were just a vocal minority.

Clay - Thanks and agree that Zimm's (and Al) are great. I pretty sure the starter they sell is the IMI.
Brian_Boss
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 6 2014, 02:40 PM) *

Brian could you provide a link to yours! Another thing I have to buy! Love GPR stuff.

Thanks for the kind words.

IMI-101N (hi torque version)

I really didn't mean to sound like I was bashing the other brands. Intent was more of a "do your research" caution.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Jun 6 2014, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 6 2014, 02:40 PM) *

Thanks for the kind words.

IMI-101N (hi torque version)

I really didn't mean to sound like I was bashing the other brands. Intent was more of a "do your research" caution.

Brian,

Your GPR.. You have quite a bigger name and overhead than some guy peddling Chinese parts out of his house...

Whats your cost on those starters, 150? Theres quite a bit to be said about that. You have overhead, You have employees to pay and returns to deal with. I dont think anyone minds you offering your superior product to something as important as a starter...

I grabbed mine from ebay as I saw the deal was killer and if it worked for the 10 times I start my car this year, great. If not well refund on its way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.