Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Going to Drop the Engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PlantMan
Hey all!!!
I appreciate everyone's input on these forums.... I wish the Internet was around the last time I owned a 914.

Anyways, after I get some road testing done on my recent purchase I am going to pull the engine in order to begin the 'hell hole' rust work.
The question is, how high should I get the car in the air to slide the motor out the ass end???
I would assume that having the car dropped somewhat towards the front would be helpful in providing more clearance at the back.

Again, appreciate all the help!!!
AfricanHijinx
I was just a low rider jack stand to drop the motor and I used my custom ramps that I made out of wood which are about 13 inches tall. I still had to remove the air cleaners and barely got the motor out.

hope that helps you out
toolguy
front wheels on the ground, jackstands under the rear body pads and I put a bunch of block under the rear of the tunnel just in case. . How high depend on how low your jack goes. . If you pull the intake runners and throttle body you can gain a bunch of head room. . I'm guessing you need 20-24 inches at the rear, but again, if you pull the rear valance you wont need to go as high. .
AfricanHijinx
these are my ramps I just used some extra 2x8s that I had lying around

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
About 3" higher than your jack stands will go.... sad.gif

(Remove the intake, dipstick, and oil filler to get more room.)

--DD
larss
I just found this neat little lift which makes life under my 914 a bit easier.
Total lift height is about 15".

/Lars S

IPB Image

IPB Image
PlantMan
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 3 2014, 07:20 PM) *

About 3" higher than your jack stands will go.... sad.gif

(Remove the intake, dipstick, and oil filler to get more room.)

--DD

HA HA HA!!!
That is always the way it goes for me!!! Kinda like being a day late and a dollar short!!!
Appreciate the help.
PlantMan
QUOTE(larss @ Jun 3 2014, 10:10 PM) *

I just found this neat little lift which makes life under my 914 a bit easier.
Total lift height is about 15".

/Lars S

IPB Image

IPB Image

Nice!
Is that a hydraulic hand pump that raises both units?
larss
QUOTE(PlantMan @ Jun 4 2014, 07:16 AM) *

Nice!
Is that a hydraulic hand pump that raises both units?

Yes its a foot operated hydraulic pump, easily raises both sides simultainiosly and locks mecanically when fully up.
Under $300 in my country.
Should have bought this when I started the 914 Project some 1000 working hours ago...

/Lars S
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.