Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my 73 coated with porsche factory lime green at altissimo!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adiokyro
here's an update pic on my '73 -- the porsche lime green looks lighter in the pic than it really is---its a very bright green from 73/74. almost ready for reassembly!!!
adiokyro
i really love how my custom sail panels and top came out in the paint!!! a subtle yet profound lil mod piratenanner.gif

QUOTE(adiokyro @ Jun 4 2014, 10:54 AM) *

here's an update pic on my '73 -- the porsche lime green looks lighter in the pic than it really is---its a very bright green from 73/74. almost ready for reassembly!!!

stugray
Beautiful! May I ask where you got the paint, how much $$? and paint code?
adiokyro
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 4 2014, 11:25 AM) *

Beautiful! May I ask where you got the paint, how much $$? and paint code?

thanks! this is: L137 Lime green/GelbGrun its a porsche factory color. we found it after some research in PPG envirobase high performance paint system. it all cost a nail biting 4k for the materials--but bear in mind a lot of that was because I lime green undercoated/rock chip style paint in every single nook and cranny for the entire car underneath/engine comp, wheel wells, etc etc etc. you will pay less if you are just doing a paint job. I am completely insane so this is a 20k paint job all together headbang.gif but Brandon at altissimo is so so meticulous and throrough and cool to work with---as is his friend mark over at original customs
green914
Looking Good! agree.gif
Hope to see it when it's all done.
ConeDodger
Beautiful...

When this thing is done and fully assembled, it will be propelled by the only Raby Kit 2432 in existence.

So, it will be pretty much an instant Car of the Month!
wndsrfr
Here's Kermee at Watkins Glen last summer.....you're gonna love that color & the Paparazzi will be all over you....enjoy! popcorn[1].gif
Krieger
That green is amazing. I like the targa bar mods. It looks familiar...
Elliot Cannon
Hangover green. av-943.gif
sixnotfour
Welcome to the Club.. piratenanner.gif
rick 918-S
Like! drooley.gif Shades of Radical Green are 70's Wild! aktion035.gif Ya Babay ya....
veekry9

" we found it after some research in PPG Envirobase high performance paint system."

Since you are happy,can you tell us how the Waterborne PPG-Envirobase paint went on?
http://ca.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refinish/Pro...igh-Performance

I had contemplated using the product from a local dealer here in TO.
I chose SpayMax 2K for the convenience of the spot repair method I am using.The time slots I can get are short and the short cycle of the paint suits.
bulitt
1970's colors...have fun green!
larryg
Prettiest thing I've ever seen was
fresh green paint on my 914

73 1.7 Delphi Metalic Green
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
Yeah, but every one is a different color !
and only one includes a code ! WTF ?
Oh ! fo' the love o'Zambezi !
larryg
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 5 2014, 05:57 PM) *

Yeah, but every one is a different color !
and only one includes a code ! WTF ?
Oh ! fo' the love o'Zambezi !

L99A Delphi Metallic green
Emmel
So true on the shades of green . Every paint manufacturer has a different formula for the single paint code. Glasurit is the only one that has the truest tints for Porsche and VW formulas dating back to the 40's when Renault painted the first 356. So if you think your car has the exact color match think again. I will guarantee if your car has any other paint besides Glasurit on a concours porsche car you will be deducted points. Thats if anyone cares about exact cars. Older colors that have been cross referenced to water will definitely have the most challenge by far . Water Bourne , the tints on water Bourne banks have more vibrancy than what the 80's and under had so matching the muted colors will be next to impossible . Just my 2 cents on why there are so many variances on that color.
larryg
QUOTE(Emmel @ Jun 5 2014, 08:18 PM) *

So true on the shades of green . Every paint manufacturer has a different formula for the single paint code. Glasurit is the only one that has the truest tints for Porsche and VW formulas dating back to the 40's when Renault painted the first 356. So if you think your car has the exact color match think again. I will guarantee if your car has any other paint besides Glasurit on a concours porsche car you will be deducted points. Thats if anyone cares about exact cars. Older colors that have been cross referenced to water will definitely have the most challenge by far . Water Bourne , the tints on water Bourne banks have more vibrancy than what the 80's and under had so matching the muted colors will be next to impossible . Just my 2 cents on why there are so many variances on that color.

We used Glasurit 55 on my 73' Delphi green pictured above and below. The match was amazing. I didn't have the interior of either trunk painted so there is a clear side by side comparison and most people don't notice. Looking at the picture below reminds me I need to adjust that driver side headlight fit!
Click to view attachment
Emmel
QUOTE(larryg @ Jun 5 2014, 10:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Emmel @ Jun 5 2014, 08:18 PM) *

We used Glasurit 55 on my 73' Delphi green pictured above and below. The match was amazing. I didn't have the interior of either trunk painted so there is a clear side by side comparison and most people don't notice. Looking at the picture below reminds me I need to adjust that driver side headlight fit!

Click to view attachment

Doing your homework should be #1 in the owners mind before Full restorations. In the end he/she will save money , stress , and have a great car for years and years. Dumping money on a build doesn't necessarily guarantee a perfect to spec car. What I learned working for a couple shops is they use what they have and never go outside that box. Especially dealerships just because they are a well known shop doesn't mean they will do what's right for a restoration especially with the color. I have worked with all the paint manufacturer s and find that sticking with same country for the Paint as where the car came from usually works out best in retrieving a formula for that perfect to spec car.
adiokyro
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Jun 4 2014, 10:33 PM) *

" we found it after some research in PPG Envirobase high performance paint system."

Since you are happy,can you tell us how the Waterborne PPG-Envirobase paint went on?

I had contemplated using the product from a local dealer here in TO.
I chose SpayMax 2K for the convenience of the spot repair method I am using.The time slots I can get are short and the short cycle of the paint suits.

hello- let me ask brandon how it went on---i know charley hutton color studio uses the ppg enviro base exclusively now....
adiokyro
Thanks guys!!! I am loving it!!!! the car is a '73 2.0 with appearance package signal orange. so since i am doing a 'resto-mod/hot-rod' I only cared that i was using a porsche factory color from the same era---i did not care whether it was a precise match--but i wanted WILD 70's porsche green as it makes me smile!!
Ive also welded the antenna hole, marker light holes, modded the sail panel (but done with metal, not filler) , I welded up all the licence holes and bumper holes on the bumpers and had the triple chromed, it has a giant raby 2.4xxx liter super stroker, houndstooth and leather interior, restored gauges silkscreened with the new redline, all suspension is 911/930/groundcontrol----fuchs are true early 911 16x6's polished, etc etc etc. so i used all porcshe stuff and am keeping it from looking corny, but it is a resto-mod.

(i have kept the original fuchs, matching # case, etc to the side) cheer.gif
mrholland2
QUOTE(adiokyro @ Jun 4 2014, 10:54 AM) *

LOL Mine is in the shop getting ready to be painted that same paint code. Although, I'm doing a single stage and the whole thing is costing me around 3K. . . for a daily driver that the owner won't go insane as much about door dings.
veekry9
http://charleyhutton.com/
Click to view attachment
The paintstore regaled me with the wonderful attributes of this waterborne paint system.
Must be true.
TJB/914
Local MI guy Dan with his "John Deere" green race car.
My Chrome Yellow/Saturn Yellow photo fixed with more green tint. I believe if you spray Chrome Yellow add more green tint to the base mix for a bright green. idea.gif
Green is the new must have color w00t.gif
Tom
veekry9
Click to view attachment

A very nice medium metallic pearl clear.
An outstanding choice and execution,flawless.
Nice lean green machine.

post-4383-1397617635

A half shade lighter than my '62 Bug,done in a coarse flake in '71.
The metallic paint demands the bodywork has real continuous curves as minor imperfections are readily obvious.

I can't recall seeing a green done so well,iridescent.

sb914
That's going to be awesome first.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.