Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fire extinguishers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
Just for safety, I want to get a small/med size extinguisher mounted in the car. Where do people mount these? Next to center console? Or just stuff it behind passenger seat?
Dave_Darling
Behind the pax seat works. But I've known them to go off from slopping around back there.

Some will attach them to the front of the pax seat, or to the seat rails or the crossmember.

I bent up an aluminum plate to go where the center tray went, and drilled it for the extinguisher mounts.

--DD
Rleog
Dave
If you get a chance, could you post a pic of that mount?
Thanks
Allan
I did't have a center console so, I mounted forward of the shifter on the tunnel. I've seen them mounted cleanly next to the console on the passenger side, but it did take up a little foot space. The main thing is to mount it where you can get to it the fastest...
Dave_Darling
The best pics I have at the moment are on this page:

http://members.rennlist.org/damp_dave/belts.html

I'll try to get more later.

--DD
iamchappy
I made a bracket that mounts it on the front of the drivers seat that works well as a location.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jun 5 2014, 08:18 AM) *

I made a bracket that mounts it on the front of the drivers seat that works well as a location.

How did you do those sill plates?
iamchappy
I had a guy make them for me, i believe he sold custom thresholds either in the vendors area here or it was Ebay.
Dave_Darling
OK, I got a chance to take some pics.

Here's an overall shot. Note that the plate only goes back to just aft of the visible seam in the seat material.

Click to view attachment

Here's a closeup of the front part of the plate. It has a simple 45 degree bend and bend back to flat. I drilled the holes to match with the holes where the center tray mounted, and re-used the screws from the tray.

Click to view attachment

That's all there was to it.

Hmm, I gotta get the extinguisher re-charged, don't I?

--DD
worn
QUOTE(Allan @ Jun 5 2014, 03:56 AM) *

I did't have a center console so, I mounted forward of the shifter on the tunnel. I've seen them mounted cleanly next to the console on the passenger side, but it did take up a little foot space. The main thing is to mount it where you can get to it the fastest...

Yeah, I have mine wedged between the seats. It isn't screwed down but stays put through the cones if I forget to take it out before a run. unsure.gif
Rleog
Thanks Dave & Chappy. Good solutions.
Elliot Cannon
It doesn't matter where you put it. Just mount it somewhere you can reach it easily and quickly. biggrin.gif
bandjoey
Uh. Dave. In case of fire do you get the zip tie cutter from the glove box or trunk? happy11.gif but I do like the mount
aharder
I put mine in front of the passenger seat biggrin.gif
iamchappy
You can never be too safe, incase of fire, i also have one of these.
flipb
I've got a set of Coco Mats (Sisal) and they're very heavy. I just placed my extinguisher under the trailing edge of the passenger side mat, wedged by the front of the passenger seat. It doesn't budge in all kinds of driving.
stugray
IPB Image

IPB Image

The system has three nozzles. Fuel cell/pump, Drivers crotch, engine.
handheld bottle is for something not sprayed by those three (like someone else's car)
1970 Neun vierzehn
1 Halon F/E (from an civil aviation store) + 2 license plate magnets (from a car dealer) are mounted very securely to the front of the passenger seat cross member. No drilling, easy to reach, don't interfere with the driver, and do not move under hard braking or cornering (hard acceleration with a 1.7 is a moot point laugh.gif )

Paul
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 5 2014, 04:39 PM) *

Uh. Dave. In case of fire do you get the zip tie cutter from the glove box or trunk?

They're attached to the ends of my arms. Finger through the hole in the pin, and twist. The zip-tie will break. At least, it will if it's my car on the line!!

--DD
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 5 2014, 09:14 PM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 5 2014, 04:39 PM) *

Uh. Dave. In case of fire do you get the zip tie cutter from the glove box or trunk?

They're attached to the ends of my arms. Finger through the hole in the pin, and twist. The zip-tie will break. At least, it will if it's my car on the line!!

--DD

Good luck breaking that big zip tie. Your pressure looks to be a bit low as well. Time to have it serviced or get another one. (And cut off that zip tie). biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.