Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Silicone heater hose VS Gates green Stripe - Renegade 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Downerman
Getting my renegade back together (Engine wise) as the body is still being hijacked by my auto body guy. Yet another story but here's my thoughts. I have read from others that Gates, green stripe is the ONLY way to go. I tried yesterday to buy that and the only way I could get it locally was a 50' box. over $200. I live in the mountains near the Salinas VAlley out here in California famous for it's agriculture. I stopped into a truck repair/parts shop in Salinas. These guys do a huge business on large diesel trucks. They had in stock some silicon 1" heather hose made by Parker I believe. They told me that they stopped using green stripe because it was rubber and that the silicon hose was more flexible AND was better against the heat. They have had no issues and really like the product. Spoke directly to the service manager.

Has ANYONE had any dealings with this hose?

Dave
DBCooper
No, but I think the core advantage of the Gates green stripe (and yellow stripe from NAPA) is that it has wire in it that gives it dimension and keeps it from collapsing when it's containing a lot of vacuum. Any hose (or pipe or tube) that can do that should work.

bulitt
Yellow stripe from Napa. Probably run you around 85$
76-914
ChrisH & I both bought "open box" or "partial roll" green stripe hose off EBay. Saved a ton over unopened or full roll price.
Mikey914
I have the hose for less than that, cut to length.
I stock the body to flapper valve on the heat exchanger, the blower hose, the long to mixing box hose, the smaller defrost hoses and the blower to mixing box hoses.
Just let me know what you need.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 6 2014, 01:47 AM) *

I have the hose for less than that, cut to length.
I stock the body to flapper valve on the heat exchanger, the blower hose, the long to mixing box hose, the smaller defrost hoses and the blower to mixing box hoses.
Just let me know what you need.

I think he needs high temp coolant hose.

When I replaced my green stripe hose, I read the specs on various replacements.I when with another brand after reading the temperature range, chemical comparability, burst pressure and bend radius. There are many good brands out there. Once you decide on a type, check ebay first. There are great deals on open box stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.