Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting faster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
3 seconds off of FTOD. 6 events under my belt.

The things I did to my car have really paid off. Thanks to JP Stien for his alignment suggestions. New Kuhmo Ecsta V700 on Fuchs 205/50-15 a better shock setting on the Koni's 1/2 way firm. Car was very neutral and had lots of grip.

This last three seconds will be the toughest to get. Because it will be all me. Some of the observers were telling me I was letting up on the gas way to early. Hmm Make note to self get heavier shoes IPB Image
Aaron Cox
nice!

as slits once told me
"your body knows when to brake for a corner" "how?" "when your foot starts shaking uncontrollably on the gas as youre looking at the corner is when you hit the brakes!!" IPB Image
J P Stein
Atta' go Joe.
You're right, those last few seconds will the the toughest, complicated by the fact that your competition is getting faster also.

Don't get too locked up on time. 3 seconds on a 30 second course is a life time and equates to 6 or 8 seconds on a 60 sec course.....I use this as an example. It's much more difficult to maintain concentration for for the longer period and you have more opportunities to make small mistakes that cost time...not to mention big ones IPB Image......you also have to breathe on the longer course IPB Image

Then there's the course. After a couple seasons you'll have seen most all the wrinkles that course designers can throw at you. I thought I was gettin' pretty good till they threw in 3 single cone 180 deg turns at us....kind of a giant "W"...
gawd....I made a hash of that, I learned to deal with it....but not that day IPB Image

A better way to measure progress is the number of cars between you and TTOD. This assumes that you're running against the same bunch of competitors fairly consistently.....which I find to be the case at both SCCA & PCA.

I don't really deserve any credit for your suspension alignment. It's fairly standard for those tiars & AX in general. You still have to drive & you're doing gud IPB Image

When you see God, it's time to brake.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Jan 17 2005, 11:03 AM)
Don't get too locked up on time. 3 seconds on a 30 second course is a life time and equates to 6 or 8 seconds on a 60 sec course.....
I don't really deserve any credit for your suspension alignment. It's fairly standard for those tiars & AX in general. You still have to drive & you're doing gud IPB Image

When you see God, it's time to brake.

Well shoot I feel even better now. This course was longer than the last one.
I guess it all may be standard AX and tire stuff as long as you know what questions to ask.
I have been pestering all the guys that are really fast doing my best to imitate a knowledge sponge.
Got scared in one long fast sweeper with a decreasing radious. Not sure what happened but it got blurry. did it twice same place. I dont know if it was tires rattling on the ground Shaking my eye balls (felt like I was sticking good) I doubt that I was making enough G force to cause it. I know I gave out a whoo hoo! after the exit. My passenger said "holy shit!"
J P Stein
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jan 17 2005, 12:08 PM)
[
Got scared in one long fast sweeper with a decreasing radious. Not sure what happened but it got blurry. did it twice same place. I dont know if it was tires rattling on the ground Shaking my eye balls (felt like I was sticking good) I doubt that I was making enough G force to cause it. I know I gave out a whoo hoo! after the exit. My passenger said "holy shit!"

Heh.....I took a 944 guy for a ride....fun run.

I did good on a sweeper and was busy patting my self on the back when I noticed I was coming up a Chicago box WWWay too fast. Since I had few options, I started brakin'& steerin' & whimperin' .......and I was thru IPB Image

When the run was over, the guy says..."damn, my car would never go thru a Chicago box like that". I says.."ah, blah, blah
well...ah " ...or wurds to that effect. He must not have heard me whimperin' IPB Image I've never done one of them as well since...tho I've blown out the back side of many.....going backwards. IPB Image
watsonrx13
Great job Joe... keep up the good work... IPB Image
redshift
GOOD DEAL!

Nice pickup man! Keep it up!

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.