Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dash front refurb
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
I pulled the old basketweave, and the metal pieces it was attached to, off the front of my dash in preparation to retrim it. The basketweave that was on there was pretty shabby and I'm assuming it wasn't the original.

Can anyone that's done this tell me how the edges should be? Are they wrapped around and glued onto the back of the metal plate or just trimmed along the edge of the plate? And how should it look around the glove box lock, and above and below the glove box door?

I have a 73, if anyone could post a pic of those areas on an original dash front that would be great.

Thanks
John
dlkawashima
1a. On the main piece, the one in front of the driver, I can't remember what the left edge does ... it's underneath the vent.
1b. The right edge of the main piece is simply trimmed to the edge of the metal plate.

2a. For the radio plate, the left edge is trimmed to the edge of the plate. The top is trimmed to the edge as well, including the glove box lock.
2b. The right edge is rolled around the metal plate and glued to the back.

3a. For the glove box door, cut the vinyl as shown below. Fold and glue each side onto itself to form a rolled edge.
3b. The top of the vinyl is trimmed to the top edge of the door. The bottom edge is rolled around the back of the door and glued.

Hard to explain the glove box ... hopefully the picture below helps.

Click to view attachment
john77
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jun 6 2014, 03:55 AM) *

1a. On the main piece, the one in front of the driver, I can't remember what the left edge does ... it's underneath the vent.
1b. The right edge of the main piece is simply trimmed to the edge of the metal plate.

2a. For the radio plate, the left edge is trimmed to the edge of the plate. The top is trimmed to the edge as well, including the glove box lock.
2b. The right edge is rolled around the metal plate and glued to the back.

3a. For the glove box door, cut the vinyl as shown below. Fold and glue each side onto itself to form a rolled edge.
3b. The top of the vinyl is trimmed to the top edge of the door. The bottom edge is rolled around the back of the door and glued.

Hard to explain the glove box ... hopefully the picture below helps.

Click to view attachment

Thanks Dave. All makes perfect sense.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.