Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Conflicted. Not sure about this one.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
phillstek
This car has been sort of offered to me through a friend. It was built to a very high standard by the owner of an independent Porsche workshop as his personal vehicle, in the early nineties.

The body is all steel other than the front which is a genuine 951 part adapted. Converted to RHD and painted in Glasurit. It has vintage Recaros in white leather that are a bit tired.

The engine is a 3.2.

The current owner no longer drives it and was trying for +$40k but has not found a buyer.

I'm not sure if I like it or not. Is it a bit.... Chalony? confused24.gif Though it is growing on me.

How's it look to all of you?

Other than the body, it's a nice car done right.

So what's it worth?
mgp4591
What's he into it for? That would be a major consideration for me, plus the usual search for rust. I can't really get excited over the body mods- yeah, a bit too Chalony for my tastes also. Is the body work so extensive that it can't be put back to stock? All those add up to way less than 40 g's... idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(phillstek @ Jun 6 2014, 12:11 AM) *

icon8.gif

$40k is very nice real /6 territory ...
shades.gif
phillstek
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 6 2014, 05:44 PM) *

QUOTE(phillstek @ Jun 6 2014, 12:11 AM) *

icon8.gif

$40k is very nice real /6 territory ...
shades.gif

If I could get a nice #914 Vinned /6 here or anywhere for that money, I'd be all over it.

I was thinking mid 20's if it all checked out?
maddin
was that car advertised on carsales.com.au a while ago? had heaps of stickers on it
and was offered for close to 50000..
phillstek
QUOTE(maddin @ Jun 6 2014, 09:30 PM) *

was that car advertised on carsales.com.au a while ago? had heaps of stickers on it
and was offered for close to 50000..

I saw a white Chalon with a 2.7 there about a year or so ago but I'm not sure about this one.
rick 918-S
That is the most tastefully redesigned 914 I have ever seen You have to "get it" or it's not for you. The guy stayed true to the Porsche design taking cues from both the 914 design and the 944 without turning the car into a Mazda or a Fiat. The front fender lines are nicely done.

As far as value? The car is worth what someone is willing to pay and the owner is willing to settle for. If you "get it" make him an opening offer you can live with and be prepared to move up to meet the price he's willing to settle for.

I would drive that car and dig it! aktion035.gif
mepstein
No
carr914
Over here - no where close to his asking price, maybe mid to high Teens

Over there - ?
Eric_Shea
Pass
phillstek
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 6 2014, 10:06 PM) *

That is the most tastefully redesigned 914 I have ever seen You have to "get it" or it's not for you. The guy stayed true to the Porsche design taking cues from both the 914 design and the 944 without turning the car into a Mazda or a Fiat. The front fender lines are nicely done.

As far as value? The car is worth what someone is willing to pay and the owner is willing to settle for. If you "get it" make him an opening offer you can live with and be prepared to move up to meet the price he's willing to settle for.

Thanks for your studied opinion, Rick. It's funny I've shown the pics to my kids and a younger friend who has my old 951 and they all said it was cool. The 'Porsche" reflector thing and the rectangular exhaust tips are pretty naff but apart from that it holds up very well for a car that was done 20 years ago.

phillstek
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 6 2014, 10:21 PM) *

Over there - ?

You don't think that's a little harsh?
dale73914
the more I look at it the more it is growing on me too.
I'm still not quite sure about the top line on the guards, but the rest looks like what "might" have happened should the 914 lived on for another 5 years.

Given how few are over here, the RHD conversion and engine and brake UG's etc, mid to high 20"s might be where I would think it was worth offering as a start smile.gif .

Although, it's all about finding that perfect buyer for an oddball car that likes it and wants it.

Yeah, I saw that Chalon on carsales too, and I reckon this looks alot better.

cheers

Dale
Mike Bellis
It looks well done but that is not a reason to buy it.

If it was for sale here in California I would put a value at $20k If it as well done as it looks in pics. Most likely it would end up at a dealer, be priced too high and get passed around from dealer to dealer for years until...?

Most people think their car is worth more than it is. That car would sit for a long time here before a non-914-new-to-Porsche-owner would buy it.
Cairo94507
That does not look that bad to me as it seems well thought out and executed. A lot would depend upon the rest of the car. The drivetrain, suspension, electrical, rust and rust. If that is all in good order then I would see this in the low $20-22 range.
carr914
QUOTE(phillstek @ Jun 6 2014, 08:31 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 6 2014, 10:21 PM) *

Over there - ?

You don't think that's a little harsh?

No, just my Honest Opinion. The Over there was it might bring more due to RHD & the rarity of a 914
r_towle
if you like it as is....go for it.

Take the value of most conversions here and do some math.

Restore the front end (if you choose)
5K cost

Right hand drive conversion
5K value

Bumpers restoration, trim, door handles etc

I would say 20-25k is the right number to offer...see what he says.

Rich
KELTY360
Be sure to consider resale on that car. It is very much a car that takes 'the right person' to buy it. Likely would be on the market a long time.
orthobiz
I will agree that this is one of the least offensive modifications I've seen in a long time.

Paul
boxsterfan
Looks like a 944. If you want a 944, you can find one for way less than $40K.
edwin
There was a rolling shell the same as that sold on ebay in Sydney last year or the year before at around $6k. Looked well done but not enough for me to really want it.
Any word on your car?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 6 2014, 08:06 AM) *

That is the best looking non-914 conversion IMHO, I really like it!! Looks to be well done, and think about this its all metal not glass too. Might not be ffor everyone but looks lik what a modern 914 might have morphed into if production had continued another 10 years
Cap'n Krusty
Nice. It looks like an "evolved" design, something that follows a logical path from what it was to what it is. I like it.

The Cap'n
914work
I like it as well. A little too much white ... some blacked trim might help to break it up but all in all pretty nicely done.
Figure a converted /4 car to 3.2 /6 10-16K add RHD conversion ...? More.
phillstek
QUOTE(edwin @ Jun 7 2014, 12:21 AM) *

Any word on your car?

The guys doing the repair told my insurer the car was a write-off. As the insured value is quite high the insurer wanted an itemised quote. My guys pumped it as hard as they could and have got it to about 80% of the car's value. Should hear back sometime next week. Whatever happens, it's getting fixed.
phillstek
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jun 7 2014, 12:20 AM) *

Looks like a 944. If you want a 944, you can find one for way less than $40K.

Might look like a 944 but the 3.2 would blow the doors off any n/a model. I would not pay 40k for it but if I could get in the 20's I would seriously consider it.

I'm going to check it out more closely and throw some more pics up here and seek further opinion.
messix
why were the "body mods" made... collision damage?

count that into value also.

to me the money that is into the body mods are of little value and might detract form value, the six conversion adds value. overall condition of the car should really be the largest in valuation. but 40k ???? no where near as nice as the black custom that boxstr posted in the classifieds.

and I do kinda like the look of the car, and admire the apparent skill and quality of work done.
phillstek
QUOTE(messix @ Jun 8 2014, 05:04 AM) *

why were the "body mods" made... collision damage?

count that into value also.

to me the money that is into the body mods are of little value and might detract form value, the six conversion adds value. overall condition of the car should really be the largest in valuation. but 40k ???? no where near as nice as the black custom that boxstr posted in the classifieds.

and I do kinda like the look of the car, and admire the apparent skill and quality of work done.

The car is solid and done purely for "something different" reasons. You're right about the price and I don't think it's worth +40k either. I reckon at mid 20's you'd have a pretty nice and interesting variant. You would have to really like it to pay any more than that.

I agree that the body mods don't add any value but I also feel that they don't detract value either. I'm viewing it as a straight up 3.2 conversion and would base any offer with that in mind.

I talked to the owner and have arranged an inspection and test drive for Monday.

He told me he hasn't advertised the car anywhere as yet and was only selling due to an ankle problem that prevents him driving a manual (stick).

I'll try and take some better photos and post them.
Rand
It's simple. This car is squarely in the opinion factor zone. Which rules out all the logic. It doesn't have special papers that make it shine. Choose according to your taste.

For the same money, imagine what I could have with a respectable front end? Wow.
Spoke
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 6 2014, 10:52 AM) *

Nice. It looks like an "evolved" design, something that follows a logical path from what it was to what it is. I like it.

The Cap'n

agree.gif

It looks perhaps what a 914 would have looked like if the car was redesigned in future years. Looks real clean.

As far as price, we all know that the value of a 914 (ie., $$$) resides under the sheet metal. How clean is the hell hole? Jack points? trunk and cabin floors? How was the suspension constructed?
Drums66
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 6 2014, 05:22 AM) *

Pass

.....stand on the brakes(then,walk on by)
popcorn[1].gif
bye1.gif (there's pristine 911 carrera's for those #'s)
mepstein
awesome looking parts car biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.