Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Mount Bar / Side Shift Rod- Painted, Plated or Raw?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
ChrisG914
Have my drive train out and want to get things as correct as I can when putting it all back in. Can anyone confirm the finish on the engine mount bar and the side shift Rod in 1973?

Thank you,

Chris
Tom_T
QUOTE(ChrisG914 @ Jun 6 2014, 05:39 AM) *

Have my drive train out and want to get things as correct as I can when putting it all back in. Can anyone confirm the finish on the engine mount bar and the side shift Rod in 1973?

Thank you,

Chris

Chris,

Look thru the O&H nailed topic called: "The few, the rare..." which has some pix spread throughout it of original 914s.

Engine Bar & shift linkages woould be the same for all years 70-76 AFAIK

IIRC:

... the engine bar was a black oxide treated steel (similar to on the black type 914 lug bolts for the wheels),

... while the shift rod was painted satin black like the engine tins, etc.

Hopefully you're looking thru the "few, rare" pix &/or someone else who knows differently for sure will jump in here, if I'm IIRC-ing wrong. smile.gif

I think I read that you took the engine fan shroud(s) to the media blaster with other parts, but you probably want them to use soda or fine walnut shell media to blast that aluminum ... unless you want the non-original polished finish.

BTW - if you really are not looking to get a concours original resto out of your project - then you could really post this stuff in the Garage Forum as for the best way to clean/refinish parts for general use.

You'll tend to get the how to keep it concours original in this O&H Forum from us CW wankers! biggrin.gif

BTW #2 - that Marine Clean mentioned on your other engine shroud post is great stuff too - especially for greasy engine parts.

beerchug.gif
orthobiz
Engine bar: minee got painted silvery and passed muster with the judges at 2013 Parade. I would say the original finish was "rust" but I'm not really sure what it looked like out of the showroom...

Paul
914Sixer
Tom is correct about the black oxide treatment on the engine bar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.