Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wife totalled our 2004 jaguar- some ?,.,% $#× ran a stop sign
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
We HAD a 2004 Jaguar x-type that was still mint, spotless and front end totalled

first let me say my girls are all safe thank GOD!
I have 3 girls, 10,14,17 all were with her. The youngest had a severe concussion and broken nose etc, got a "free" ride in a helicopter that she does not remember . But doing well after spending a couple days in the hospital we will be going home today.
So With that said I need a distraction from all of that - the car , air bags etc really did its job and protected them well so i am inclined to look for another Jaguar. Whatever it is, it will be whatever I can get for under $10K. Probably something between 2004-2010. She liked her jag, but I am looking a a 2004 745 BMW locally but was originally searching 500 series BMW's, Jags and mercedes. Ive had tha car for 9 years and have not shopped 4 door sedans for a long time. I suppose I should look at Audi A4 or A6 as well, so open to suggestions

Phil
hydroliftin
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 6 2014, 07:33 AM) *

We HAD a 2004 Jaguar x-type that was still mint, spotless and front end totalled

I have 3 girls, 10,14,17 all were with her. The youngest had a severe concussion and broken nose etc, got a "free" ride in a helicopter that she does not remember . But doing well after spending a couple days in the hospital we will be going home today.
So With that said I need a distraction from all of that - the car , air bags etc really did its job and protected them well so i am inclined to look for another Jaguar. Whatever it is, it will be whatever I can get for under $10K. Probably something between 2004-2010. She liked her jag, but I am looking a a 2004 745 BMW locally but was originally searching 500 series BMW's, Jags and mercedes. Ive had tha car for 9 years and have not shopped 4 door sedans for a long time. I suppose I should look at Audi A4 or A6 as well, so open to suggestions

Phil

Why not another 2004 Jag or Lincoln LS? Your family walked away from that wreck. It's one of the safest cars out there for that era and fun to drive too What's nit to like?
Allan
Glad everyone is okay. I got no advice on a replacement... blink.gif
DRPHIL914
Well I agree I have 2 in our area for sale and if they are as clean sa ours was I would get another in a second, and my 17 year old hates manual but my wife and I both like stick but I would get one with automatic if its low milage and clean spotless southern car.
Should be interesting to see how Progressive values it. dry.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 6 2014, 09:33 AM) *

Phil

Oh man, really glad to hear everyone is going to be OK Phil.

The used European sedan discussion that crops up on Pelican OT is very similar to your train of thought, although Jags aren't in the mix as much. Might want to do a search on there and check it out, lots of opinions about BMWs/Audis/Mercedes from owners. But if you LIKE the Jag and it saved your loved ones in a serious accident...? You can always search nationally and find another one if you can't get one locally.

Johny Blackstain
Good that all your girls are OK. I got T-boned by a Jag once while I was driving my GMC pickup. Spun me 180 degrees & took out the right side of the truck, but did not bend the frame. Only thing that happened to the Jag was the license plate got torn up. I was able to drive the truck home though & eventually rebuilt the whole thing myself.
stugray
Glad to hear everyone is OK!

Have you seen the Subaru "They lived" commercials?

If family safety is more important to you than the status-symbol of a BMW, I would look at a Subaru.
Beach914
Glad that your family is okay. My wife and I had an 03 X Type Sport For 9 years. Put 125K on it with relatively few issues until it developed a glitch in the automatic transmission that would cause it to go into "Safe Mode". Jag dealer couldn't address it without looking at the ECU and TCU's. I just suspect that the tranny was about to give up. I liked the car and have often thought about the manual version. fewer problems than with an electronic transmission.

I'd did appreciate the fact that it had all the airbags. Although. thank goodness, we never had to use them.

Just my experience and two cents worth. Really liked the car.
Moneypit
IPB Image

Should keep your girls safe and sound, and you can take it to the lake too!
billh1963
Sorry to hear that, Phil! Glad everyone is okay.

There are lots of sedans out there for good prices...test drive several and see what you like
scotty b
It's incidents like this that show the true $$ value in some cars. Glad everyone is O.k. I'd say stick with a Jag, Benz or Audi. Volvos got sketchy in the 2000's ( not sure how the newest ones are ) Audi's AWD platform is tried and true, and a lot of fun, but steer clear of the 3.0 engines. 2.7 and 3.2 seem to be o.k. You can never ( almost ) go wrong with a Benz
jim_hoyland
Good to hear everyone is safe smile.gif replace the Jag, that' same terrific car
bulitt
Newer Bmw or Audi SUV. Bigger, Safer, more utility.
The number of airbags in a 2004 vs a 2014 is mind boggling. In a crash virtually the entire inside of some of these newer cars inflate.

Please go after this douchebag! Crank your Insurance company up! If they see serious consequences for their behavior it may just modify their future actions.
ripper911
A 914! poke.gif
Scott S
I have some jags - but know absolutely nothing about cars newer than 1972.

However, if you do decide to get another, look in Florida. They are everywhere, there are many with very low mileage, and due to there being so many down there, they are cheaper. My brother just bought a 2008 XJR (supercharged car). It is imacculate, has 50k miles and was almost 10k less than market - and that was for a fairly rare car. Yes he got lucky, but there are alot of deals down there.

I have been tossing around the idea of actually selling my 911 and getting an same era (2008) XKR. Tons of those down there too.

So so glad the fam is okay. My oldest is almost 8 - I would have been a mess watching her get loaded into a helicopter. Scary stuff.
Andyrew
Audi's are fantastic and anything non domestic is going to have quite a bit of increase in maintenance. Especially when they are not newer than a couple years old.

Personally I've been looking at the newer subaru Outbacks if I had to replace my Audi Allroad, as they just look to be fantasic cars. Or if you need a sedan consider the first generation Hyundai Genesis. Killer cars, Even better warranty. We have a Genesis coupe and its just a fantastic car.
jmill
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 6 2014, 11:10 AM) *

If family safety is more important to you than the status-symbol of a BMW, I would look at a Subaru.

agree.gif Just got rid of the wife's 2006 BMW 330XI with 55k miles. Starter went, $800 in parts and took me 6hrs. Had to remove the intake to get at it. A week later the water pump went. It's electric so there was no warning. Add up another $800 in parts and 4 hours. Had to disassemble the bottom of the car to get at it. Parts $ will kill you on the BMW. BTDT.

Bought a 2015 Outback with lifetime warranty. CVT takes some getting used too but it's otherwise an excellent car with a great crash rating.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Moneypit @ Jun 6 2014, 01:59 PM) *

IPB Image

Should keep your girls safe and sound, and you can take it to the lake too!

piratenanner.gif great idea I live on a tidal creek , but showed this to my wife and she said it would be a bad idea for her to have any kind of tank LOL!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 6 2014, 02:16 PM) *

Sorry to hear that, Phil! Glad everyone is okay.

There are lots of sedans out there for good prices...test drive several and see what you like

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 6 2014, 02:46 PM) *

Good to hear everyone is safe smile.gif replace the Jag, that' same terrific car

Thanks , you know I really do appreciate all the replies and well wishes.
Brought the little one home tonight and feeling very blessed for I know how bad this could have.been!
And I agree with Scotty B.its hard to argue with results. The motor mounts snapped off but as hard as the front hi the foot are an was not compromised on either side.!!
This is the upper mounts they both were snapped in two
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Jun 6 2014, 02:56 PM) *

A 914! poke.gif

Well I have a 914, a 2000 Boxster S, my son and oldest daughter share a Montero Limited, this was the wife's car that I handed over to her when I got the Boxster, but she gets to pick this out herself. and it got great milage averaged 27mpg combined travel, 30+ highway.

Going to take Bills advice and drive a bunch first. - one comment was Hyundai, Ive had 2 and liked them both but was dissatisfied with the paint quality of my 2010 Tucson. My neighbor has an Equis and loves it.
r_towle
Have you asked your wife what she wants?
My wife totaled three other cars with our VW Eurovan tank while in Germany...with the kids in the back, and she drove home each time.

we kept fixing it....

When I came home, I bought another Eurovan thinking it was awesome, saved my family three times, and it was a tank....

She came home a two months later and took my new Volvo....she said she would never drive a Eurovan again....

Just putting that out there to think about.
DRPHIL914
Well after shopping for a month on and off, it looks like we may finally chosen a replacement for the smashed x-type, a XJ Vanden Plas very low milage, looks like new. Wife likes it, kids like it.
I came very close to purchasing a '04 745i with only 50k miles on it, but in the end ven a $17k it had a few too many issues. Loved the ride and handling etc( and i drove 4 hours to go see and testdrive it ) but my gut just did not feel right.
I would have ahd a 07 Avalon a couple weeks ago but it was sold out from under me - salesman said he could hold it for a few days no p roblem, i had the insurance settlement check coming in. stopped in the next day and the @#$#%^$ sales manager sold it he said that morning! slap.gif long story short is was the cleanest 8 year old car i have ever seen, until i found this Jag yesterday. So kind of glad because i prefer the Jag for sure!!

But, since i sold my Boxster too, i just might keep looking at the Bmw's -but it has to be the right deal, that oil leak issue is conserning.
billh1963
Nice! Was that the one in Florida?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 8 2014, 07:44 PM) *

Nice! Was that the one in Florida?

It was from Florida, but not the way I planned. Funny story. Short story was i t was listed on local craiga list, first day it was on there, local insurance agent also has dealer license and sells on the side a few here and there, brought it up from Daytona beach Florida Saturday. I was in Daytona also Saturday feast driving a few other cars and almost came home with a 745i, but decided to wait . Funny how things work out!
Pretty excited to have found this locally. A very smooth ride.
mgp4591
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 6 2014, 10:10 AM) *

I second that opinion. agree.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 8 2014, 10:24 PM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 6 2014, 10:10 AM) *

I second that opinion. agree.gif

Well its still a consideration. Ive sold the boxster and will drive either my 914 or my Montero to work, and am considering a Subaru for my son and daughter to use ffor commuting to college in the fall. 60 mile commute round trip so a older jetta tdi may be a possibility as well.
stugray
Well its still a consideration. Ive sold the boxster and will drive either my 914 or my Montero to work, and am considering a Subaru for my son and daughter to use ffor commuting to college in the fall. 60 mile commute round trip so a older jetta tdi may be a possibility as well.

My previous DD was a 99 Solara (Great car, but 2 doors - 18yr old son has it now), current DD is Sub BRZ, wife drives a Passat TDI which is very nice & gets >50 MPG.
Her previous car was a Jetta. The VWs are very nice and dependable these days.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(stugray @ Jul 9 2014, 10:18 AM) *

My previous DD was a 99 Solara (Great car, but 2 doors - 18yr old son has it now), current DD is Sub BRZ, wife drives a Passat TDI which is very nice & gets >50 MPG.
Her previous car was a Jetta. The VWs are very nice and dependable these days.

so i was looking at a 2006 tdi jetta too, BillH1963 just got a new Passat tdi , likes it , good milage, but i'm looking more in the 2000-2008 range- anything i need to llook at, for etc on those, does not have to be TDI but i know they get great milage,
DRPHIL914
piratenanner.gif

Well its in the garage! Had a lot of cleaning to do . Sure makes the 914 look small! That's Isabella our youngest just 1 month after having a fractured nose and major concussion! -
Have not had a chance to really drive it much, but I think it will be on the stable for a long time.
We picked it up Thursday night and drove around town with the wife. I need to go thru it all check the brakes etc but the rotors look brand new, as does the whole car. Head light polishing and new floor mats will be at the top of the list bit that's about it.
billh1963
I like it!

Not sure I would store a gas can right in front of the car smile.gif
zambezi
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 13 2014, 06:47 AM) *

I like it!

Not sure I would store a gas can right in front of the car smile.gif

Why not?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.