Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo Cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lsintampa
75 2.0 FI

The car has the two piece speedometer cable - one from speedometer to the "EGR counter", the other from the "counter" to the tranny.

The cable that broke is from the tranny to the counter. I've not tested the one from the counter to the speedometer yet, but I'm thinking it may be OK.

What cables (part numbers) will work for this?

Bigger question is that since I've backdated the exhaust and removed all smog equipment, I don't have a EGR valve anyway. So, I assume an earlier model cable would work - if I wanted to bypass the counter totally?

I don't see any value in keeping it.

That aside, I haven't looked to see where the cable exits the rear firewall, so I'm assuming it isn't all that bad to install? Similar to clutch and throttle cables?

Thanks,

Len
Jeffs9146
Yep you can just pull the EGR counter and use the early cable!
eyesright
My '76 speedo cable still worked but was torn up by heat and road damage under the exhaust area, so I replaced it while rebuilding the engine, back dating the bumpers, paint, etc.

The 2 piece cables were NLA I found and one could use the standard cable to replace the longer of the 2 piece...but I don't know why one would. I took my counter and the short cable out. They are in a bag now waiting for someone who might want it...or the dump. If you can find the two piece cable you need that will be a little less work to run it to the counter instead of up under the dash.

I'm a not purist with this car and I try to check my OCD so I got the standard cable and tossed the rest. Its a bit of a chore, a little worse than a throttle or clutch cable because you have to run it up to the speedo. Get on your back, maybe pull the steering wheel... If you're still in your thirties, no problem.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(eyesright @ Jun 6 2014, 04:26 PM) *

Its a bit of a chore, a little worse than a throttle or clutch cable because you have to run it up to the speedo. Get on your back, maybe pull the steering wheel... If you're still in your thirties, no problem.

I am 50 and I have no problem getting under the dash for anything. biggrin.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 7 2014, 12:10 AM) *

QUOTE(eyesright @ Jun 6 2014, 04:26 PM) *

Its a bit of a chore, a little worse than a throttle or clutch cable because you have to run it up to the speedo. Get on your back, maybe pull the steering wheel... If you're still in your thirties, no problem.

I am 50 and I have no problem getting under the dash for anything. biggrin.gif

While standing piratenanner.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Walked right into that one, huh Clay?

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.