Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedometer Drive Block-Off Plug?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GS Guy
Anyone know of a 914 trans block-off plug that replaces the speedo drive on the tail housing?
I've switched to a GPS speedometer so no longer need the speedo drive (and I'd rather have one less potential leak source on the trans!).

Ideally I'd like this with McMark's double O-ring mod, which 100% stopped the slow leak from my existing drive.
Thanks,
Jeff
dirk9141973
type.gif ask the Dr.
flash914
Would not take much to turn one out on a lathe. Gordon
GS Guy
Thought one of the Porsche race shops might have tooled up for this long ago and have something on the shelf? My Google searches for "tranny plug" while entertaining, haven't produced what I'm looking for.
brant
take the stock one.... have it tig'd to fill the hole in the center after you gut the drive out..

I have 2 of them like that
simple, light
McMark
1/4" pipe plug. I can set you up if you want.
GS Guy
McMark,
I may take you up on that if I can't find something already made.

I hate to "gut"my nice resealed drive, but have a feeling buying another one for core value won't be cost effective. I also wanted a more finished external appearance, but don't know of any type of threaded plug that could be fitted in place of the angle drive? I've already canabalized my angle drive to convert it to an electornic speedometer hook up, using the unique threaded nut (parts now shelved with the GPS speedo). Does anything else fit the drive internal thread? I could seal it up with locktite or similar, potentially making it a reversible mod.
GS Guy
Bingo Gringo - piratenanner.gif
Digging in my parts stash and wadda you know - an extra speedometer drive! Sweeeet!

So which end should the NPT plug go, angle drive end? Looks like the bore only needs to be increased about 0.050" (to 7/16") for the tap drill size.

I'm thinking I'll machine up a simple aluminum press-in plug to cover the exposed end of the drive, pressed into the shaft seal bore. That should clean it up nicely.

After that it'll be heading your way McMark for the double seal mod.

Jeff
McMark
Sounds like it's your lucky day. The plug needs to go on the outside/angle drive end. The entire threaded section where the angle drive attaches could be machined off. Would make later removing a PITA because the drive would be entirely inside the transmission housing, but I can't see why you would be removing it anyway.
GS Guy
Finished the mods:
NPT plug and custom end cap. Decided to secure the cap with a couple of set screws for easier disassembly if needed, and added a threaded hole in the end, again for easier removal if the drive gets sticky over time. I can see it needing to come out (the whole drive) if the o-rings ever need servicing.

Time to ship to McMark for the next round of super seal majic! I'll contact you off forum for shipping instructions McMark.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.