Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need referral for buying an outside car cover for my 914.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
75porsche914
Need referral for buying an outside car cover for my 914.

Since I need to park her outside on occasions I’m looking for a car cover with license plate windows so that it's legal to park on the street with the cover.

There are many options on Ebay, although I haven’t had a reply from those sellers asking if they have the window option for the license plate.

I have looked this topic up in forums and find the search a bit overwhelming and find it easier to post a help request.

Greatly appreciate your advice.

beerchug.gif
Elliot Cannon
I have a car cover but I DON'T use it outdoors. If it gets windy in your parking lot and the car has a little dirt or dust on it, the car cover will act like sand paper. I would get an umbrella cover for the top and windows to keep the interior cool but would not suggest a full cover.
GeorgeRud
I'd agree, the cover can cause as many problems as it solves. The umbrella cover is great to avoid leaks, and just keep the painted surfaces on the car waxed and cleaned as needed.

I have a soft cover for one of my cars, but don't like to use it as it traps humidity. Better to just use a very light dust cover if stored indoors.
'73-914kid
I love my umbrella cover, but I found that the elastic cording that holds it to the car can scratch the paint if wind picks up, which is when I use mine, (ie. stuck in a storm)

I covered the elastic bugny cords in heavy duty microfiber towels and cut up to fit. Solved that problem.
bandjoey
Coverking makes cheep to custom covers.
stugray
I was considering this for a cover that can be left on for towing.

The only solution I could find that might work is a custom boat cover.
They are made to withstand hurricane force winds and can be left on when towing.

Pricey though!
SirAndy
My girlfriend made me one. It's made from heavy duty outdoor fabric that is water repellent and UV resistant.
smile.gif

IPB Image
Maltese Falcon
Andy...that is a great Car Cover aktion035.gif
Does your girlfriend want to make another one ?
Marty
r_towle
Should be urban camo
Chris914n6
I went with a Budge Tyvek many years ago when I put the 914 into hibernation. White outer layer reflected the sun so well it felt cooler inside the car. Has a soft inner layer and I didn't get any paint damage despite being parked on dirt.

Plate windows are not that common. I'd post on CL on what you needed done or visit a fabric store and see if one of the employees will sew for cash or pay a car upholstery place to do it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 8 2014, 02:53 PM) *
Andy...that is a great Car Cover aktion035.gif
Does your girlfriend want to make another one ?

She kept the templates, but it was a *lot* of work.

I'll ask her if she wants to make another one ...
smile.gif
pete000
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 8 2014, 11:30 AM) *

Coverking makes cheep to custom covers.

I like Cover King covers, but their top of the line covers are not inexpensive. Quality is very good. I use their lined solar silver covers with a cable holding it on the car. Never blows off.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 8 2014, 12:03 PM) *

I was considering this for a cover that can be left on for towing.

The only solution I could find that might work is a custom boat cover.
They are made to withstand hurricane force winds and can be left on when towing.

Pricey though!

Tow your car with a cover on it and kiss the paint goodbye. av-943.gif
michael7810
I use at the Cover King Silver Shield Plus with a cable lock with good success. It doesn't blow off and has not damaged the paint although it's in a carport so it doesn't get much wind just a bunch of AZ dust.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.