Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: late model engine management
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jaiden
Do you 914 guys go for the high tech latemodel stuff on your 914 or would you rather stay with the original equiptment?

I've been having some ideas about adapting latemodel managment/injection/ignition to a 914 when I finally get one.

I was thinking of using a latemodel VW managment setup off of a GTI or some other 4 cly engine and mounting everything sensors and all to a type IV motor.

Has anyone ever done this? If so what were the details.
Being just past the ricer age I'm excited by the high tech approach used in the latemodels and would love to have all the data at my fingertips.

What do you think?
Mueller
the only factory alternative VW/Audi FI that I have seen on a 914 is CIS (both n/a and turbocharged)

the problem with going with a modern electronic FI from a production vehicle is the ability (or lack of) to tweak the fuel/ignition maps to better suit the Type IV engine

I think you are better off going with a programmable fuel injection such as megasquirt, sds, haltech or any other of the units available

I had (and will be running one again) a megasquirt on my 2.0, used mostly the stock sensors with a few GM sensors thrown in.

Just about every type of aftermarket FI has been installed on a Type IV engine...
Jaiden
Thanks for the info! Now I can commit several more days of work time to researching injection systems for a teener that I don't even have yet!

Now which of the systems tends to be the most popular?

My main goal would be to completly revamp the electronics on the 914 that I get from headlights to taillights and everything in between. Now where can I find that Cheap rust free 914 that's been eluding me? IPB Image
Mueller
Thanks for the info! Now I can commit several more days of work time to researching injection systems for a teener that I don't even have yet!

Now which of the systems tends to be the most popular?

if you want to have a distributor, Mallory and then MSD are the most popular distributor ignitions....

a few people have done the electromotive crankfire (standalone ignition only)..if going with a modern FI, they'll have ignition built in (most of them do)

rust free car back East?? hahahahahah.....and when you do find one...open the wallet....
lapuwali
SDS and Megasquirt have been adapted to the 914 engine by people on this board, so they're the best bet. Huge amount of online support for the Megasquirt, but it's very much a DIY thing. SDS is less DIY, and I'm told they're pretty good about support. There's a Haltech rep on the board, but I don't know if he's ever used in on a 914.

There's also a 914 specific system in the works (been in the works for quite some time), called the Kit Carlson, which will very probably be the easiest to use on the 914 once it's available.
Jaiden
I know I'm a dreamer!

I would love to set up a distributorless ignition possibly using individual coils like on a LS1 motor. That way I can mount the coils where they will work the best. I'm thinking that I will probably still need to use distributor drive as a possible cam position sensor location.

hell if I work it right I could probably have the set up finished before I complete the rust repair that I know I will have to do. IPB Image IPB Image

Now I will just need to figure out where to mount the laptop in the 914 and still be able to have a passenger....

Ha! I'm getting way ahead of myself
Mueller
Now I will just need to figure out where to mount the laptop in the 914 and still be able to have a passenger....

huh??

you only need the laptop for tuning...once you have it running correctly, you should never need the laptop for the car....sounds like you been watching The Fast and the Furious IPB Image hahahahaha

oh yea, the megasquirt (and SDS I think), have an optional screen that you can mount in the dash to see and play with the variables.....
Jaiden
I would want the laptop for data logging and R&D work while tuning but it's always good for the Shock value!

I'm currently working on tuning my friends LS1 and it works good having the laptop in the car to view data between runs.

Let's just hope that when my dreams and reality meet things aren't too difficult.
lapuwali
If you want data logging, that's one thing the SDS doesn't do. It has a small hand-held programmer (no laptop required, or even useful), but has no capacity for logging data, and no way to hook up to a laptop. Megasquirt does require a laptop (or a Palm), and does do datalogging with the laptop as the recorder. Not generally something you're going to do with a passenger unless the passenger is doing the programming with the laptop on their lap. Certainly, you don't need it hooked up permanently.
Mueller
QUOTE (Jaiden @ Jan 17 2005, 02:22 PM)
I would want the laptop for data logging and R&D work while tuning but it's always good for the Shock value!

I'm currently working on tuning my friends LS1 and it works good having the laptop in the car to view data between runs.

Let's just hope that when my dreams and reality meet things aren't too difficult.

an LM-1 wideband sensor box will do all same datalogging as the laptop (and it'll give you datalogging if running an SDS system)

I'm past the point of needing to shock or impress the 16 year old kids that don't know any better IPB Image

having a prog. FI does not mean you'll have the fastest car or spent the most money.......
scotty b
IPB Image Why not just stick an LS1 in the 914??? IPB Image
McMark
If you want to impress people, get one of those plastic computers they use at the furniture store. Less wiring and looks so real! Almost as good as a PVC roll cage. IPB Image

Just kiddin' with you. No harm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.