Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: targa moulding removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dangrouche
I am going to replace the butyl on the rear glass; does the plastic rectangular surrounds (where the targa top mates into the rectangular hole) need to be removed prior to anything else, or does the targa trim come off with the surrounds attached?
bdstone914
This come out with the pad. Removing and replacing the pad is a PITA.
Search for a thread on replacing the rear glass. For may not have to remove the top pad.
dangrouche
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 7 2014, 04:30 PM) *

This come out with the pad. Removing and replacing the pad is a PITA.
Search for a thread on replacing the rear glass. For may not have to remove the top pad.

thanks Bruce
Mblizzard
Pretty sure it has to come out to remove the glass. At least it seemed that way when I did mine.
orthobiz
Top pad removal is really hard. Some of the screws may already be in crooked. Patience is the key. Don't forget the screws under the pad, in front of the window. And getting the latch surrounds off is almost impossible. Like building the pyramids, I think there is some kinda secret I don't know about that makes the job a piece of cake.

Paul
dangrouche
Paul, you are right, I think I have the two secrets here; probe around with a light and a scribe to find the head of the Phillips, once you know and see the phillip, unscrew it until it gets pretty loose, then use the magnet probe to retreive the screw. The other secret is for the targa latch. once all the screws of targa header are removed, there is enough play to pull the header to and fro, to get at the latch. Unhook the coil spring and use the Harbor Freight tool on a 10mm socket. Use a 7/16" wrench to turn the 10mm nut to break the tension. Once the 10mm gets loose, my two fingers rotated the socket from beneath the header and the 10mm screw comes out pretty easily. After Bruce gave me the info about the targa header being one piece, I removed my header in about one hour with relative ease. My underside screws were absent which made the removal pretty quick. I also used a small mirror to look into the holes where there were some screws.
bdstone914
You do not have to remove the targa latches to remove the pad. Once all the screws are out wiggle the pad loose and pul out as much as you can. Position the hook of the latch in the slot of the cover and you can remove the pad.
It is even more fun to install.
dangrouche
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 7 2014, 06:57 PM) *

You do not have to remove the targa latches to remove the pad. Once all the screws are out wiggle the pad loose and pul out as much as you can. Position the hook of the latch in the slot of the cover and you can remove the pad.

for some reason, as you stated, I was unable to wiggle out the targa pad with the latches in place. this is the reason I had to resort to removing the latch entirely. fortunately I have smaller fingers and I am able to get into those tight spaces. thanks
jmalone
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 7 2014, 06:57 PM) *

I agree with Bruce. I was able to remove the pad without removing the latches. Lucky cause I have sausage fingers! beerchug.gif
pete000
Just went through this on my car. Replaced the rear window. The pad is removed first. Then the latches. Near impossible to do the latches first. The pad is held in place with a bunch of sheet metal screws.
Chris Pincetich
Don't loose patience! beerchug.gif
Once I helped prep a 914 race car, and the owner was workin quick. After 15 minutes fussing w this pad removal, we lost patience and ripped it out. dry.gif happy11.gif
Removed properly (I did it w latches in place, jut thread the needle) it takes time biggrin.gif
PanelBilly
The first time I removed mine, I had to drill out most of the screws. It went back together with stainless square head screws.
Dave_Darling
I seem to recall a couple of rather small screws in the area of the latch? They were gone on my car, but I've seen them on a couple of other cars, like Jenny's old car when we stripped it.

--DD
ruby914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 8 2014, 09:33 PM) *

I seem to recall a couple of rather small screws in the area of the latch? They were gone on my car, but I've seen them on a couple of other cars, like Jenny's old car when we stripped it.

--DD

I recall those screws. I wonder what happened to them confused24.gif never saw them again.biggrin.gif
I think, the may have held the latch covers in place.

I always take off the pillar pads and unscrew one of the latches.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.