Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what grade of gas to use
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hndyhrr
I am planning on taking the pumpkin for a drive up the hill tomorrow and need to fill the gas tank. What grade of gas is the best to use. I have been going on short rides on a little more than 1/4 tank and don't want to get stuck because i ran out of gas, probably get stuck because of vapor lock lol.

thanks
renee

driving-girl.gif
Mike Bellis
The lowest grade you can use without hearing pinging or detonation.
carr914
Ethanol Free!
Elliot Cannon
What engine to you have? Stock? Built up? High compression?
hndyhrr
stock 1.7, compression in all 4 cyc. is 180.

thanks
Thestigz06
I found that my 1.7 ran best on 89 octane. 87 pinged a bit and 91 pushed off a little too much compression. Give it a try!
matt5596
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 7 2014, 09:23 PM) *

Ethanol Free!

agree.gif
Dave_Darling
I believe that the 1.7s (except for the CA-only version of the 73 1.7) were spec'ed for super-grade fuel. So 91 or higher.

--DD
57lincolnman
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 7 2014, 06:08 PM) *

I believe that the 1.7s (except for the CA-only version of the 73 1.7) were spec'ed for super-grade fuel. So 91 or higher.

--DD

The tag on the inside of my trunk says 91 octane. I have a CA version of the '75 1.8L. I run premium fuel exclusively. She doesn't like a low octane diet. I've tried it.
aircooledtechguy
"91 RON" is the European unit of measure for octane. 91 RON is equivalent of our 87 octane which is regular. As cars go, our cars are pretty low compression and normally don't require higher rated fuels. With that said, every motor is different and in a different state of tune, so as others have mentioned use the lowest grade you can without pinging under load.
Drums66
.....For the 914?..I found better all around performance with 91 idea.gif
flag.gif bye1.gif (my experience)
dlkawashima
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jun 8 2014, 09:26 AM) *

"91 RON" is the European unit of measure for octane. 91 RON is equivalent of our 87 octane which is regular. As cars go, our cars are pretty low compression and normally don't require higher rated fuels. With that said, every motor is different and in a different state of tune, so as others have mentioned use the lowest grade you can without pinging under load.

agree.gif

If your car is tuned to stock standards, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to run 87 octane. I run regular grade exclusively and my car runs fine, no pinging at all.

stugray
I have 9.5CR and run 91 with no pinging, so I would guess you would have no problem with 89-87 on a stock engine.

It also depends on altitude. I am above 1 mile high, so if I tried to run 91 at sea level I might have pinging problems.

(That's also why you can hardly find 93 in CO, but it is plentiful in CA)
hndyhrr
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 8 2014, 10:40 AM) *

I have 9.5CR and run 91 with no pinging, so I would guess you would have no problem with 89-87 on a stock engine.

It also depends on altitude. I am above 1 mile high, so if I tried to run 91 at sea level I might have pinging problems.

(That's also why you can hardly find 93 in CO, but it is plentiful in CA)

used to live in the springs..... ran reg. in the teener but my 65 fastback pony oh boy had to re jet the carb and run hi test in her. moved to oregon and had to re jet pony for 800 feet altitude.

any how........

bdstone914
With 180 psi compression it does not sound stock. Run 91. You might get by with a lower octane depending on how much advance timing you're running.
hndyhrr
QUOTE(' date='Jun 8 2014, 12:06 PM @ Jun 8 2014, 12:06 PM) *

With 180 psi compression it does not sound stock. Run 91. You might get by with a lower octane depending on how much advance timing you're running.

well as far as my eye ball goes in looking at the engine i see nothing not stock in there. now for the internals got know idea. in the parts that came with the car did find so internal washers, gasket or two, fly wheel bolts. so i assume at one point in time that Otto's in venice beach, ca had to take it apart. Otto's is where po took her. hummmm probably should see if they are still in business and see if i can get any records from him.
bdstone914
QUOTE(hndyhrr @ Jun 8 2014, 01:05 PM) *

QUOTE(' date='Jun 8 2014, 12:06 PM @ Jun 8 2014, 12:06 PM) *

well as far as my eye ball goes in looking at the engine i see nothing not stock in there. now for the internals got know idea. in the parts that came with the car did find so internal washers, gasket or two, fly wheel bolts. so i assume at one point in time that Otto's in venice beach, ca had to take it apart. Otto's is where po took her. hummmm probably should see if they are still in business and see if i can get any records from him.

He passed away last year. They still have a business but shy away from air cooled. The 180 compression shows so work was done to boost the compression. About 140 is normal stock new.
messix
my car is a "75 supposed to be a 1.8l runs more like a 1911 and I have only used 87. I live very near sea level and have never had ping, not in traffic in lower than I should been gears even, and I drive it pretty aggressively the rest of the time. and it's still an L-jet.
saigon71
I run 87 octane (with ethanol) in my stock 2.0 D-jet. Car is in a fine state of tune. No problem with knocks or pings.

I'd try the 87 first and see if it gives you any grief.
michael7810
Can you really here it pinging? My car has carbs and a Bursch muffler and I don't think I could hear it pinging. I run Super so maybe I don't hear it because it never pings.
euro911
The 'BB' has a 2056 with 9.5:1 CR, tuned to run mid-grade (89) with no pre-detonation (pinging) - mostly @ 100' ASL aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.