Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Mounting Bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scruz914
Do I need to buy the genuine OEM front engine mounting bolts or can I just buy the equivalent at the hardware store? M10x85 are the spec. I was even thinking of getting stainless steel, maybe from the local marine store (one of the ones I pulled out was very rusty). $3.95 for just one bolt sounds a little steep. Buying two isn't going to kill me. I was just wondering. Oh, and I already ordered a set of nylon engine mounts from James so the setup will be stiffer than stock.

TIA

-Jeff
Cap'n Krusty
Ya want something of the appropriate hardness. You don't say whether your car is early or late. Early cars use an allen head bolt, narrowing the availability. I'd be inclined to go OE or find something from your local John Deere or Caterpillar dealer. The flat washer and nyloc nut are a must.......... The Cap'n
scruz914
It is a '73. Agree on the hardness. I'll look into it more. Marine grade hardware is tough stuff. I consider it a no brainer on the nyloc nuts. Washers too.
URY914
Marine grade (stainless steel) is not really hard. Grade 8 is much harder.
Keep the stainless on the boat or in the kitchen, but not holding your engine in.

Paul
scruz914
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jan 17 2005, 07:26 PM)
Marine grade (stainless steel) is not really hard. Grade 8 is much harder.
Keep the stainless on the boat or in the kitchen, but not holding your engine in.

Paul

I see that, now that I am looking at the ASTM and SAE Grade chart for steel bolts and screws.

I guess the thing about SS and marine applications is its corosion resistance. I used to race on Santa Cruz 50s and there are some extreme loads on the hardware. I know very little about metals and was making an assumption.
scruz914
Damn. I just looked further into the SAE and ASTM grading and I think I'll go ahead and spring for the OEM bolts. I would spend much more than the $7.18 just doing the research. Learned something though.
URY914
Also stainless steel knives won't hold a sharp edge like good ol' carbon steel.

(but don't try to tell this to some people)
rhodyguy
i recently pickup new grade 8 hardware at a local fastener coompany. can't i just use a lock washer with the same grade or do i HAVE to use a nylock? if so why?

kein
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.