Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Wheel stud question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1973Porsche
Ok so I have a question about wheel studs for the 914. My car currently has wheel studs that are found on pretty much every car. Where the stud and lug nuts are two separate pieces. Well yesterday two of my studs came off with the lug nuts, and when I went to find replacement studs they looked like this. http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx19/19...zpsc833ab60.jpg Where the stud and lug is one piece. So my question is can I find wheels studs like are my car now, or will i just have to replace all my studs with the factory ones? Here's a picture of the stud and lug that came off my car if it helps. http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx19/19...zps88246fd3.jpg Sorry if I'm not being clear but its kind of hard for me to explain it. If you need me to try and clarify, just ask and I'll try my best to.
dangrouche
one piece wheel nut is OEM, the chrome job you have is aftermarket, usually on non-Fuchs wheels, like American Racing. what kind of wheels are you running? pics would be helpful.
1973Porsche
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Jun 8 2014, 08:25 PM) *

one piece wheel nut is OEM, the chrome job you have is aftermarket, usually on non-Fuchs wheels, like American Racing. what kind of wheels are you running? pics would be helpful.

I'll try to get more pics in a little bit. The wheels that were on it when I got it were dan gurney wheels. The wheels I just put on yesterday are Spirit of America Empi 8-Spoke.
dangrouche
if its EMPI wheels, you need to replace with the chrome type. the wheel will have a flat mating surface, thats why you have that flat washer there. You NEVER use OEM lug nuts on aftermarket wheel.

I just checked and have three of those studs in my 914 parts bin, here is a pic; this is not the FS forum, but I will sell these three studs for $13.00 shipped to TX. they are NOS. + You will need to separate the chrome part and thread on this new piece. PB Blaster and a little heat to separate the stripped part. let me know, or you can source locally, but these are usually hard to find in FLAPS.
Ben
1973Porsche
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Jun 8 2014, 08:44 PM) *

if its EMPI wheels, you need to replace with the chrome type. the wheel will have a flat mating surface, thats why you have that flat washer there. You NEVER use OEM lug nuts on aftermarket wheel.

I just checked and have three of those studs in my 914 parts bin, here is a pic; this is not the FS forum, but I will sell these three studs for $13.00 shipped to TX. they are NOS. + You will need to separate the chrome part and thread on this new piece. PB Blaster and a little heat to separate the stripped part. let me know, or you can source locally, but these are usually hard to find in FLAPS.
Ben

Here's what my studs look like now. http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx19/19...zpsa750e0d3.jpg What you have looks to be exactly what I need.
dangrouche
Check the integrity of those threads on the hub (car). If you can, chase those threads with the correct size tap. if you want these three studs, Paypal me $13 at dangrouche@juno.com. I can mail them tomorrow. Usually the entire lug nut comes out like the stripped one you have there. Your challenge will be to separate the chrome from the stripped stud. If it were me, I would soak with PB blaster, put the beat up end of that stud in the vise, and remove the chrome. If necessary apply a small amount of heat, but not to the point of discoloring the chrome.
1973Porsche
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Jun 8 2014, 09:03 PM) *

Check the integrity of those threads on the hub (car). If you can, chase those threads with the correct size tap. if you want these three studs, Paypal me $13 at dangrouche@juno.com. I can mail them tomorrow. Usually the entire lug nut comes out like the stripped one you have there. Your challenge will be to separate the chrome from the stripped stud. If it were me, I would soak with PB blaster, put the beat up end of that stud in the vise, and remove the chrome. It is not Apply a small amount of heat, but not to the point of discoloring the chrome.

I already have a new set of lugs I bought so I won't need to separate the lug. I'll take the 3 you have and I'll PM you my address.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.