Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gas in crankcase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type47
In fitting a non-factory/CIS fuel injection system on a typeIV 2L, I unknowingly operated the fuel injectors while operating the fuel pump to test the system and control pressures and WUR . This resulted in the intake manifolds filling with gas (behind the closed valves for most cylinders) which has made it's way to the crankcase. I have not turned the engine over to start it or test it. I pulled the dipstick and the level was above the marks and did the sniff test and as I thought would happen, it smelled of gasoline. I also have a tuna can sump on the engine. My question is: how do I proceed? The oil is draining now and I have not messed with the tuna can. Advice needed.... TIA
Cap'n Krusty
Drain it, fill it, and run it. If you want to remove the sump to allow all the oil out, you can, but I'm not sure that's gonna be necessary. If you haven't cranked it, the filter should be OK.

The Cap'n
luskesq
Just running the fuel pump should not have caused the problem unless you lifted the throttle plate (which I don't do in checking pressures). If you didn't lift the plate you may have one or more leaking injectors or you will have a repeat.

I agree with the Cap'n, drain, refill and drive it. If concerned about any residual fuel in oil system, drain and refill after a couple of hundred miles.

Keith
toolguy
I'd disconnect the coil and pull the plugs the first time you crank it. . . that way anything remaining sitting in the runners or cylinders will be expelled.
type47
QUOTE(luskesq @ Jun 9 2014, 08:50 AM) *

Just running the fuel pump should not have caused the problem unless you lifted the throttle plate (which I don't do in checking pressures).

I think that maybe the plunger in the fuel distributor was stuck so that the injectors sprayed or the fuel distributor didn't match the air flow sensor connection. I changed to another fuel distributor and put the injectors into bottles if they sprayed again and when I repeated the pressure checks, there was no injector spray. I didn't lift the plate anyway ...

The plugs are out and I thought I'd try to suction any gas in the intakes. It's been a couple of days so I'd bet all the gas is in the crankcase now.

Thanks for the comments and I will proceed as advised ...
luskesq
If you have gone to the effort to pull the injectors and ready to spray into containers, for giggles I'd lift the throttle plate to make sure they are all spraying--compare amount and appearance, drop the plate to make sure they stop. When you put them back in you should have some degree of confidence that at least they are working correctly.

Keith
type47
QUOTE(luskesq @ Jun 9 2014, 12:50 PM) *

If you have gone to the effort to pull the injectors and ready to spray into containers, for giggles I'd lift the throttle plate to make sure they are all spraying--compare amount and appearance, drop the plate to make sure they stop. When you put them back in you should have some degree of confidence that at least they are working correctly.

Good idea, I'll do that.... thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.