Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: thread size for cht
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
Does anybody know the thread size for a 1.7 cht?

Thanks,
Buck
Cap'n Krusty
I do.

Want me to tell you?

10mm x 1.0

The Cap'n
jmill
Sounds familiar.

Kids - Do you know what's for dinner?

Me - Yes

Kids - Can you tell me what's for dinner?

Me - I sure can

Kids - Then tell me.

Me - Tell you what?

This is when they walk off convinced that their father is in a$$.

stugray
10mm X 1.0

Same as the oil pressure sensor.....
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 9 2014, 10:40 AM) *

10mm X 1.0

Not true. The thread size is the same, but the OP sender thread is tapered, as in "pipe thread".

The Cap'n

Same as the oil pressure sensor.....

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(jmill @ Jun 9 2014, 10:21 AM) *

Sounds familiar.

Kids - Do you know what's for dinner?

Me - Yes

Kids - Can you tell me what's for dinner?

Me - I sure can

Kids - Then tell me.

Me - Tell you what?

This is when they walk off convinced that their father is in a$$.

Years ago: Ring, ring: "Hello?"

"Is Tim there?"

"Yes".

Silence ......................... Followed by the "light coming on" and subsequent conversation.

Later: "Dad, you're such a jerk........................"
stugray
Not true. The thread size is the same, but the OP sender thread is tapered, as in "pipe thread".

Based on my observations (and others) the threads in the case are not tapered.
The ones on the sender units ARE tapered.

Otherwise I would not be able to thread a 10X1.0 tap into the sender hole without resistance.....

Your evidence for your side is that the manual states "The oil pressure switch is sealed by means of the tapered threads"

The switch is sealed by means of the Tapered threads (on the sensor)

"SDO: DIN: Deutsches Institut für Normung e. V.
DOD Adopted ANSI Approved Approved
Scope and field of application

This standard specifies profiles, dimensions and methods of verification for general purpose metric taper external threads intended to be mated with parallel internal threads with a basic profile as specified in ISO/DIS 68-1"

Note the "metric taper external threads intended to be mated with parallel internal threads"

The external (tapered) threads are on the sender the internal (parallel) threads are in the case.
Cap'n Krusty
OK. The Cap'n
stugray
Cap'n. I clearly baited you.
Surprised you took it :-)
Cap'n Krusty
Too busy today, so you caught me at a good time (for you ...............). HA!

The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 9 2014, 01:33 PM) *
I clearly baited you.

Well, we have heard you are a master at it...

--DD
stugray
Well, we have heard you are a master at it...

The forum has been a little slow lately.
Need some sort of excitement.... Must be the summer weather.
rgalla9146
Tapered thread is for sealing.
Parallel thread is for fastening.
When parallel thread is needed to fasten and also seal, it will always incorporate a soft washer.
stugray
When parallel thread is needed to fasten and also seal, it will always incorporate a soft washer.

Sorry I didnt post the whole quote from what nathansnathan found:

http://engineers.ihs.com/document/abstract/ZSMXJBAAAAAAAAAA

DIN DIN 158-1: Metric taper external and mating parallel internal screw threads - Dimensions, tolerances and inspection
Publication Date: Jun 1, 1997
SDO: DIN: Deutsches Institut für Normung e. V.
DOD Adopted ANSI Approved Approved
Scope and field of application

This standard specifies profiles, dimensions and methods of verification for general purpose metric taper external threads intended to be mated with parallel internal threads with a basic profile as specified in ISO/DIS 68-1

Taper external threads as specified in this standard are intended for self-sealing joints, such as those employed on pipe plugs, compression couplings and lubricating nipples. They can be used in all cases where a parallel threaded joint with washer is unsatisfactory for technical or economic reasons.

For fluids such as oils, other liquids and gases, no thread sealants are required for joints where the nominal size is small. For joints of greater nominal size, it is recommended that sealants be applied, since the leaktightness of such joints decreases as the diameter increases.

A short design taper external thread has been specified along with the standard design both to be mated with general purpose IS0 metric parallel internal threads of tolerance class 4H for the pitch diameter and 5H for the minor diameter (as in ISO/DIS 965-1).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.