Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Won't Crank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ken6432
I have a '74 with a 2.2 L with dual carbs. I just swapped the engine and used all of the same accessories as the last (running) engine. Now that everything is bolted up, I am trying to crank the engine and nothing is happening. Here's what I have:

Both large wires connected to connector 30
Single wire connected to connector 50
Fully charged battery
Voltage reading from connector 30 to the vehicle floorboard

When I turn the key, I hear the electric fuel pump kick on then get one click and that is all. I tried connecting a remote starter switch between 30 and the other large connector and got nothing. I also connected the remote starter switch between 30 and 50 and got nothing.

Any suggestions on where to look next? Is the starter bad? It worked fine before.

Thanks,
Ken
stugray
1 check battery for charge
2 smack the starter with a wrench while trying to crank (not kidding)
Ken6432
Thanks. I'll give the "smack it with a wrench" a try. I think the battery is fully charged.

Ken
toolguy
Ground strap at transmission
Chris H.
Yep check the ground strap. Make sure it's reconnected tightly at the trans and the underside of the rear trunk.
Ken6432
The ground strap appears to be tight. Since I am getting voltage between the 30 terminal and the floor of the car, would that mean that the grounding strap is connected well enough?
toolguy
Begin here. . assuming you have the starter connected correctly,
do you have 12v on the large yellow wire at the starter with the key in the start position. .
If yes. . then bad starter or solenoid or ground. .
If no, test yellow back to the ign switch looking for an open. . .
Hint You've got a 74 right. . still have the seat belt logic switch under the drivers seat ??

another test: If you short the yellow lead on the solenoid to the battery cable terminal lead, the starter should crank. . make sure car is out of gear first

ps testing with a meter is not the same as knowing the trans strap is a good ground. . since you're measuring battery12v to a known frame ground [ the floor], you did not test the ground strap as a path in this case. . . . see if you have 12v using the trans as a ground source?? the starter needs an absolutely solid ground connection to operate. .
Rand
You can spend a lot of time troubleshooting and checking connections, or you can cut to the chase quickly. Use the screwdriver trick at the starter and rule out half the steps in one second.
SKL1
Similiar issue with my '73. Put in a new stronger starter like I have in my '71 which works great in that car.

12v cable from battery and cable from alternator on same post on starter-correct? Starter does not have label (50 or 30 etc). Smaller wire with blade connector.

Turn key- nothing happens. Tried the screwdriver by-pass, just a couple sparks...

Put on old starter for hell of it and same thing...

Already have NEW ground strap from tranny to body...

I HATE electrical issues!! headbang.gif headbang.gif
Dtjaden
Also check the other ground path - the battery to the car body.
SKL1
New ground strap there too. Hell, everything is pretty much new during restoration including new JWest fuse panel... I'm sure there is some loose wire or wires somewhere...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.