Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad tank or bad fuel lines?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ovilla
My 75 2.0 had been running a bit sluggish so I did a full tune up, new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor and then I did the fuel filter, which was really black and full of these black specs. Then a few days later I decided to check the fuel filter again and saw this (see attached pic). I then drained about two quarts of gas, until I no longer saw this sediment. Any clue what this is? It dries to a consistency of tar.

I've never replaced the gas lines but note that they are not the original German cloth covered fuel lines and are still very pliable.

Omar
SirAndy
Looks like the rubber of the fuel lines is disintegrating.

If it were me, i'd replace them all and get a new filter ...
popcorn[1].gif
ovilla
Anybody know exactly what size and length of each fuel line is needed for a 75 914? Don't forget that I have the fuel pump up front.

ovilla
Wow! The fuel hose page on the pelican site has about 40+ metric sizes and types of fuel line for a 914. I'm really hoping someone is going to chime in with the sizes that I might be able to pick up locally at Autozone.
ellisor3
Check the member vendors. They are available already bent and flanged.
mdelwiche
AA makes a kit which I bought to replace all the lines up by the tank and includes a fuel filter and hose clamps for $39.50. You probably could get hose cheaper, but this was easy to do. If you want the hose lengths let me know and I'll measure them because I haven't installed it yet.

QUOTE(ovilla @ Jun 9 2014, 08:09 PM) *

Wow! The fuel hose page on the pelican site has about 40+ metric sizes and types of fuel line for a 914. I'm really hoping someone is going to chime in with the sizes that I might be able to pick up locally at Autozone.

PlantMan
QUOTE(ovilla @ Jun 9 2014, 08:09 PM) *

Check the EFI house diagram on Pelican Parts website for the 2.0. I can't tell you if the 75 is the same as the 74'but it is helpful information when shopping for hose. I picked up some hose recently at one of the big chain stores and it was a 'crap shoot' to get the exact size. You are better ordering from PP and the hose is a better quality and easier to work with. Can't tell you the exact length of each but I would bet you are going to need at least 4-5 meters total. You can call PP and they could probably get you the exact lengths needed.
Good luck.
mepstein
i took the old hose to autozone. they matched it up to the right size. it was a dollar something a foot and it takes a couple feet. maybe more per foot. i dont remember. get the right hose clamps. there's some other - while your there things to do for not much money. SS tunel lines are a necessity, don't skimp.
euro911
Whatever you do, replace your existing hoses with at least SAE 30R7 or better. It's rated for high pressure (50 psi) and fuel containing ethanol. Ethanol based fuels will eat old style rubber lickity split.

You might think about replacing the OEM plastic fuel lines in the tunnel with a set of stainless steel lines 'while you're in there'. Robert (Rotary'14) and Chris (Racer Chris) both mfg and sell them.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 9 2014, 10:36 PM) *

Whatever you do, replace your existing hoses with at least SAE 30R7 or better. It's rated for high pressure (50 psi) and fuel containing ethanol. Ethanol based fuels will eat old style rubber lickity split.

You might think about replacing the OEM plastic fuel lines in the tunnel with a set of stainless steel lines 'while you're in there'. Robert (Rotary'14) and Chris (Racer Chris) both mfg and sell them.

30R7 isn't FI rated or lined for fuel with ethanol.
It has to be 30R9 minimum rating.
The Gates Barricade hose I sell meets or exceeds 30R9 specs.

As for pricing, today's FI rated hose will cost from $4 to $6 per foot.
69telecaster
Ditto on the 30R9.
If you make the hoses under the tank extra long, it's much easier to remove the tank next time.

cm
Kansas 914
QUOTE(69telecaster @ Jun 10 2014, 08:35 AM) *

Ditto on the 30R9.
If you make the hoses under the tank extra long, it's much easier to remove the tank next time.

cm

What is the longest you have made those hose and not had a problem kinking? I am at this stage right now on the '72.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jun 10 2014, 10:29 AM) *

QUOTE(69telecaster @ Jun 10 2014, 08:35 AM) *

Ditto on the 30R9.

cm

What is the longest you have made those hose and not had a problem kinking? I am at this stage right now on the '72.

The new hose kinks far more easily than the old hose did, so it's hard to coil two 2ft pieces in a tight space without issue.
As a result, Ed doesn't like trying to fit extra hose under the tank anymore.
Instead, he does all the plumbing connection thru the access hole, without pulling the tank.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 10 2014, 09:37 AM) *

The new hose kinks far more easily than the old hose did, so it's hard to coil two 2ft pieces in a tight space without issue.
As a result, Ed doesn't like trying to fit extra hose under the tank anymore.
Instead, he does all the plumbing connection thru the access hole, without pulling the tank.

Thanks Chris - that is exactly what I needed to know and the way I have done it in the past - say hello to Ed - cheers!
euro911
You're right (309R), my mistake headbang.gif

I recently bought a 25' roll of Goodyear 309R for my Westy for $86. (shipped) from Amazon. That made it only $3.44 per foot smile.gif ...

EDIT

Just checked again, couldn't find that same price, but saw this 5/16" hose (a little more expensive) (click here)

I imagine you could find it less expensive somewhere else if you want to research it on line unsure.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 10 2014, 12:08 PM) *

You're right (309R), my mistake headbang.gif

I recently bought a 25' roll of 309R for my Westy for $86. (shipped) from Amazon (fulfilled by myautopartswholesale).

That makes it only $3.44 per foot smile.gif ... (click here)

What size (ID) is this?
AvalonFal
Yes sir - get the correct fuel line or this may happen (by a PO and found by me when I pulled the tank). The printing on the hose says "Not for use with unleaded or gasohol fuels."Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Paul
Cap'n Krusty
I don't believe the 309R hose is available in 12mm. That presents a bit of a problem, as 1/2' just isn't a good fit. (Clamping down a loose hose is NEVER a good idea, especially with fuel hoses.). However, that short length of 12mm hose is easily accessible from the pump cover and could be inspected and/or replaced every couple of years, compensating tor the deterioration issue.

I'd take a magnet to those bits before moving on with the project, just to be sure they're not rust particles.

The Cap'n
euro911
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jun 10 2014, 12:51 PM) *
What size (ID) is this?
Order depending on the size you need.

Here's the part # chart

Click to view attachment
patssle
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 10 2014, 04:58 AM) *

30R7 isn't FI rated or lined for fuel with ethanol.
It has to be 30R9 minimum rating.
The Gates Barricade hose I sell meets or exceeds 30R9 specs.

As for pricing, today's FI rated hose will cost from $4 to $6 per foot.

The Gates Barricade is good stuff - low-permeation and just way better quality than the crap the local autoparts stores sell. The carb lines are almost just $1 a foot - I got a 25ft spool off Amazon.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 10 2014, 04:58 PM) *

I don't believe the 309R hose is available in 12mm. That presents a bit of a problem, as 1/2' just isn't a good fit. (Clamping down a loose hose is NEVER a good idea, especially with fuel hoses.). However, that short length of 12mm hose is easily accessible from the pump cover and could be inspected and/or replaced every couple of years, compensating tor the deterioration issue.

I'd take a magnet to those bits before moving on with the project, just to be sure they're not rust particles.

The Cap'n

I've been using Aeroquip AQP Hose (black or blue) in dash 8 size for the filter to pump connections on '75-76, or front 2 port pump conversions.
Its not very flexible but fits tightly and holds up to the fuel.
Mikey914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 9 2014, 08:30 PM) *

i took the old hose to autozone. they matched it up to the right size. it was a dollar something a foot and it takes a couple feet. maybe more per foot. i dont remember. get the right hose clamps. there's some other - while your there things to do for not much money. SS tunel lines are a necessity, don't skimp.

If is the fuel hose your looking at $5 a foot plus for the high pressure stuff. If you are running injection you can't go cheap on the hose.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.