Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 service in Massachusetts? Running rough until up to temperature
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ETW
Any know a shop in the metro west Boston area that knows these cars? I have a 73 2.0 that runs really rough for the first 15 minutes until it's warmed up. Pinging, bucking, no power, etc. Gets much better after 15-20 minutes but it's pretty scary for the first few miles. One of the trouble shooting guides says it could be the TS2 temp sensor on the cylinder head? Any tips?
Thanks
Dave_Darling
If you can get over the border into CT, take it to Tangerine Racing. They are members here (Racer Chris and ejm) and know their stuff about 914s.

--DD
ThePaintedMan
agree.gif Chris is the man.
rmital
QUOTE(ETW @ Jun 10 2014, 02:10 PM) *

Any know a shop in the metro west Boston area that knows these cars? I have a 73 2.0 that runs really rough for the first 15 minutes until it's warmed up. Pinging, bucking, no power, etc. Gets much better after 15-20 minutes but it's pretty scary for the first few miles. One of the trouble shooting guides says it could be the TS2 temp sensor on the cylinder head? Any tips?
Thanks

to test the cylinder head sensor, unplug the wire coming from the wire harness.
connect that wire from the wire harness (that was connect to the sensor) to the negative to the battery.
if it stops bucking and runs normal, it was the CHT (cylinder head temperature sensor)

....or just make sure it's connected in the first place (to the sensor)
wndsnd

Take a ride down to Tangerine.

John
r_towle
There are more then a few places if you must be local.
If you can, taking it to Chris Foley in Hartford will certainly make the process smoother and you will get respect.

If no, there are a few others.
Mark Cummings, Stow MA, Autosport Engineering
Watertown, MA ...Little Foreign Car shop
Framingham, MA Rensport

There are more, but give up some real details and I might be able to dig up more..

It's kinda tough, most of the shops have lost the talent and passion for the older stuff and focus mainly on newer cars.
the names above all work on 914's ( some will give you less shit than others)
GregAmy
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 10 2014, 02:46 PM) *

agree.gif Chris is the man.

Another Plus Juan.
KELTY360
welcome.png
r_towle
I guess you are in needham.

Rich Wilner (Rwilner) is also there and may be able to help.
The little foreign car shop in Watertown may be a good deal for you also...it's close by.

http://www.lfcg.com
ETW
Thanks guys. I will try to test the head temp sensor today. If it's not that I'll probably take it to the little foreign car garage
ETW
I hooked up the temp sensor wire off the harness to the betters and it seemed much better on a short drive around the block. Anyone know where I can find a new sensor part no. 0280130017
r_towle
QUOTE(ETW @ Jun 11 2014, 06:23 PM) *

I hooked up the temp sensor wire off the harness to the betters and it seemed much better on a short drive around the block. Anyone know where I can find a new sensor part no. 0280130017

so the wire was not hooked up?

If you need parts, there are many vendors.

Try www.gprparts.com

you will get personal service, and the exact part you need.

rich
ChrisFoley
Rich,
He grounded the sensor wire to the ECU, as rmital advised.
betters=battery
r_towle
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 11 2014, 08:08 PM) *

Rich,
He grounded the sensor wire to the ECU, as rmital advised.
betters=battery

I dont read spell check that well, sorry. dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.