Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crankshaft end play
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsaum
I got an awesome deal on a 1.8 motor and am ready to put the flywheel on I want to make sure I'm setting the end play correctly the Haynes manual says to use two shims measure the play, max travel and then subtract .004 and that will give you the correct shim to use for the third one correct? I'm using a dial indicator gauge and it seems pretty straight forward is there anything to watch out for?

Thanks,

Jsaum
Cap'n Krusty
That'll do. Be sure to check it after you've installed the shim pack, and before you install the seal and o-ring.

The Cap'n
jsaum
Thanks Cap'n!
cwpeden
How much 'force' do you use to check end play? I've seen it done by hand and with a screwdriver prying a little at either end.

I've always used hand pressure.

Thoughts?
Cap'n Krusty
I push and pull the fan hub. I have found over the years that prying and pushing on the flywheel doesn't seem to yield quite the same accuracy. Might be more difficult with the engine together, or with it in the car. In that case, pry the flywheel until it stops, remove the prying tool, and look at the dial indicator. Then push the flywheel with both hands and let go. Take your reading. Repeat to be sure you're getting a good result.

The Cap'n
jaxdream
How much force can your hand generate ??? I've always used a rubber mallet / hammer to tap the crank both ways to get as much freeplay out to determine shim stack . While I'm not talking hammering the snot out of the crank , just a firm whack to seat it both ways to get as accurate a reading as possible , both feeler gauge and dial indicator .

YMMV.....

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.