Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Racing boxsters?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
chad newton
I know this is non 914 related, but I look at boxsters like the modern day equivalent to 914s. Let me know if anyone is racing theirs and where to go to get more info on what classes to run them in. I am looking to get one and don't want to go and buy an s car if it can't be raced in a legitamet class. I think I need a 2.5 one but not sure. Help me out guys.
Seabird
QUOTE(chad newton @ Jun 10 2014, 04:07 PM) *

I know this is non 914 related, but I look at boxsters like the modern day equivalent to 914s. Let me know if anyone is racing theirs and where to go to get more info on what classes to run them in. I am looking to get one and don't want to go and buy an s car if it can't be raced in a legitamet class. I think I need a 2.5 one but not sure. Help me out guys.

I am not sure who is still running it bit there is/was a spec boxster class. Probably NASA. Start your search with that.

Miguel
chad newton
Thanks bro, I will check it out.
campbellcj
Boxster Spec Racer (BSR) class is very popular in POC as well. Where are you located? Are you looking to buy/build a dual-use (street legal) car or a pure race car? There is also a BSX class that is less-modified than BSR and I assume a bit less expensive to jump into.
Thorshammer
After racing 914's for a few years, including a second place at the 2005 Runoffs, I thought the Boxster platform would be a good one. After many requests to the SCCA, I was able to get the 97-99 2.5 liter car included in E Production, at 2650lbs. This is far too heavy to be competitive. After some more requests, I was able to get the 2000-2004 non S 2.7 liter Boxster also classified at the original weight of 2650' with the 2.5 car at 2550.

My old crew chief Pete Agapaglou built an EP Porsche using the 2.5 platform, but is currently running a fairly standard engine. There are the more standard classes, sucks as Boxster Spec, and BSX, which is a spec class. Don't kid yourself, spec racing is still full prep racing.

The factors I have worked so far are camshaft and piston development, as the 2.5 is allowed 12.0 compression ratio, but the camshafts have been a problem due to the lack of cam billets, and the size of the cam bucket. I have done the mechanical lifter conversion, and built some special tools to adjust the valve clearance, this will allow for a more aggressive ramp profile.

The other issue in running the EP class, is the cost of the tires, at about 425 per tire, and needing a set of skins every weekend, and contingencies non existent, you will need a very big budget to run the car. It is almost the cost of a Grand Am race
nine14cats
Hi Chad,

Depending upon where you live, Spec Boxster would be a great place for you to race. I agree with Thorshammer that to be competitve you will need to poor some money into a non spec class car. And you probably know that any racing is expensive.

I have owned and raced a Spec Boxster since 2006. I was the Chair of the National rules committee for 3 years so I have some experience with the cars. I used to campaign a 914-6 and many members of the 914 World community helped build my car. You can do a search under "Lucille" and my name "nine14cats" to see several posts about Spec Boxster.

Here is the build thread:

Spec Boxster build by 914 World

If you are in a region that races PCA or POC, you are in a great circumstance as the rules are becoming more defined and in several regions (Texas, Southern California, Northern California) the fields can be the biggest at a given race weekend with 25+ cars showing up. PCA and POC also have more track time than other groups. I raced in NorCal and campaigned the car in PCA, NASA and SCCA. In SCCA I had the car classed regionally. PCA/POC have SPB, and NASA has the SPB/BSR class dedicated to the cars. Great racing from all of these organizations.

I have only raced the cars in the Spec Boxster form so I'll comment on the cars and their relative durability in that form only. Overall they have been very durable. I went 6 years of readline on my motor before it blew. While the motor platform does not appear to be designed for racing longevity, they tend to last several seasons of racing. Transaxles also appear to be an issue relative breaking of gears and R&P's. I suggest changing out the transaxle fluids 2 to 3 times per year if racing a 16 race schedule (my schedule during a full season). I changed engine oil every 2 weekends of racing and the motor lasted those 6 years. There was power degradation, but when my motor went, it was not for lack of taking a lickin!

I had my motor rebuilt by a shop ($7.5K), other's have purchased crate motors (~$8-$9K) and other's have purchased a Craigslist motor, swapped it in and won races the next weekend. Motors on CL can be had for $3.5K to $5K. Shocks, chassis, etc., have all lasted pretty well.

I wouldn't hesitate to go racing in Spec Boxster. Going to an open class because of your geography could lead to escalated costs to be competitive, so I don't know about that.

Just my $9.86 worth...

Thanks,

Bill P.
bam914
I built a Boxster for ITR in SCCA. I raced it once then sold it. It is a very fun car with lots of grip. They also sound really good with tri y exhaust with a megaphone on them!

Dyno

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.