Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any info on L97 G Gold Metallic cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
koozy
I purchased a 71 and am trying to get some info. It needs a respray and I plan to paint it the original Gold Metallic.

I have not seen too many of the Gold Metallic cars and am wondering if anyone has any info to share about how many of them were ordered in this color in 1971.

I read the special order colors cost an extra $500. Can anyone confirm that and maybe share some other unique info about the special order colors or Gold Metallic in particular?

I know some folks think this is an ugly color so please don't rip into me too hard about it. I am looking forward to the car in this color. This is my 9th 914 and I have had a bunch of different colors. The Gold Metallic looks kinda neat on the early car.

Gustl
congrats smilie_pokal.gif

you're right, gold metallic is pretty rare, just as the most other metallic colours

from my best knowledge, there's no info on the amount of cars delivered in specific colours

in modell year 1971, the price for "special & metallic paints" was USD 145.00
Ferg
Congrats, best color ever smilie_pokal.gif

914itis
My next project is also a gold metallic, l will plan to respray it the same color.
Chris Pincetich
Mike! Is this an honest rustoration or another race car project? biggrin.gif

My first car was a 1973 VW SuperBeetle. I think it was gold metalic - a Sun Bug. Internet pics show this was a slightly less brown color than those 914s above.

Have fun. Post lots of pictures beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Here is what my Six's engine compartment looked like when I bought it. 100% original color.

Click to view attachment
BuddyV
Mike - my car is also an original GOLD metallic car! I am looking forward to seeing your car's new paint job soon..... I will also be in the hunt for a paint job in about a year.

Hell, maybe we can get a group rate smile.gif

Robert

Ps - the motor you sold me is still running strong. It's about to be transplanted into a second (narrow-bodied) 914 that I picked up. The flared car is getting 4 more cylinders.

QUOTE(koozy @ Jun 11 2014, 08:17 AM) *

I purchased a 71 and am trying to get some info. It needs a respray and I plan to paint it the original Gold Metallic.

I have not seen too many of the Gold Metallic cars and am wondering if anyone has any info to share about how many of them were ordered in this color in 1971.

I read the special order colors cost an extra $500. Can anyone confirm that and maybe share some other unique info about the special order colors or Gold Metallic in particular?

I know some folks think this is an ugly color so please don't rip into me too hard about it. I am looking forward to the car in this color. This is my 9th 914 and I have had a bunch of different colors. The Gold Metallic looks kinda neat on the early car.

koozy
Robert, Fantastic. Great to hear. That engine was built to last.

Thanks to all who replied. Seems the Gold is in fashion at the moment.

Chris, this is a restore to my pleasure but not completely race car build so it should appear stock-ish.
Downerman
I think it's an awesome color and it would go great with my new metallic Silver that is being delivered (From the hostage auto body shop) hopefully next week. Man who cares what others think. Classic as they say.

Dave
Cairo94507
Sadly.....I am not a fan of the gold....hide.gif

It's possible my Six may end up a different (period correct) color. As many have said, since I am installing a stock 3.2 engine and have upgraded the Six transaxle to a side-shift as well as upgrading the brakes to early S up front as well as GT calipers in the rear with drilled/vented rotors all around, I have probably seriously hurt the value of the car already screwy.gif ...... so I may as well change the color too stirthepot.gif Oh, yeah...I forgot we may end up adding an onboard fire suppression system too popcorn[1].gif
r_towle
my car is originally gold, now red.

As I may eventually get the fenders finished up, I may go for HOK Pagan Gold candy....

Its more metallic/pearl looking with a bit more bling....

Or, black...or red....I dont know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.