Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blower panel control cable removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
Mid pulling everything from my dash to refurb it, but can't figure the best way to detach the control cables so I can take the blower controls out. Do I have to do this in the front trunk? I can see where they come through from the cabin but then they disappear behind all the blower motor/etc.

Thanks
John
type47
workshop manual 6.2-1/1 says there is a bolt to remove. Looks like the bolt is into the metal body behind the lever system. You might need to remove or loosen the cables to allow removal of lever system out the front of the dash. I haven't done this, this is from what I can find in the workshop manual
john77
QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 11 2014, 10:22 AM) *

workshop manual 6.2-1/1 says there is a bolt to remove. Looks like the bolt is into the metal body behind the lever system. You might need to remove or loosen the cables to allow removal of lever system out the front of the dash. I haven't done this, this is from what I can find in the workshop manual

Thanks Jim. I took the bolt out no problem, but the cables are a different issue. Haynes says to remove them in the trunk and then take out the control panel with them still attached at the back, but then doesn't tell you where they need to be removed from.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(john77 @ Jun 11 2014, 10:26 AM) *

Thanks Jim. I took the bolt out no problem, but the cables are a different issue. Haynes says to remove them in the trunk and then take out the control panel with them still attached at the back, but then doesn't tell you where they need to be removed from.

Open the front trunk and look. The connections are right there on the blower unit and air guide valves. Bolts and clips, IIRC, or maybe just clips.

The Cap'n
sdthomas
I'd like to hear how you get that bolt back in. I took mine out this past weekend to replace some burnt out bulbs but then couldn't figure out how to hold everything in place and somehow squeeze my hand up there to put the bolt back.
john77
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 11 2014, 10:38 AM) *

Open the front trunk and look. The connections are right there on the blower unit and air guide valves. Bolts and clips, IIRC, or maybe just clips.

The Cap'n

Okay, I took the two driver's side connections out no problem - unbolt, pop clip - but the passenger side???

Popped the clips but the cables aren't bolted in they're just bent through the control arm. I've tried and tried and tried to unhook them but it's not happening. Am I missing something?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(john77 @ Jun 13 2014, 02:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 11 2014, 10:38 AM) *

The Cap'n

Okay, I took the two driver's side connections out no problem - unbolt, pop clip - but the passenger side???

Popped the clips but the cables aren't bolted in they're just bent through the control arm. I've tried and tried and tried to unhook them but it's not happening. Am I missing something?

It's the worst job in the 914 world. After rust repair, of course .
Each cable has two adjustments. A, the position of the sleeve on the holder. and B , the position of the moving arm on the wire.
The sleeve clips are difficult to engage and remove, ( use a needle nose or a very small channellock plier) and be careful of the fixed brackets, they're old and fragile
The next torture is to get the wire through the tiny hole in the tiny swivel bolt between the two flat washers. And then tighten it in the correct adjusted position for proper throw.
OH, the joy !
Just sayin'
bulitt
Let me just add- number the brackets on the air ducts. Put corresponding numbers on the cables. Mark each electrical connection, the wires, the connectors.
This will save you endless hours in the long run.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.